The end of free treatment from the NHS.

Yeah but they usually drop people off at hospital so they should be part of the emergency service which we could afford if it wasnt free

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 16:31 ----------

I think its nit picking what my points was that we should treat the ill and not people who had an accident while rock climbing or doing a wheelie on a motorbike at 70miles an hour.

treatment that leads to a criminal conviction like fighting should not be by the covered by the NHS

In short, the NHS should not cover personal injury or stupidness.

But persuits like rock climbing, or sailing, or cycling, or playing football are all forms of exercise which is actually good for you.

Would you pay for the treatment of the coach potatoe who stayed safely indoors watching Tv but had a heart attack?

no need. all the government has to do is remove the 'inter' from 'the office of international development'

problem solved, NHS saved, votes won.

yeah, that's right, i'm saying, "screw the developing world, let's look after our own first."

There would be no need for aid if the multinationals that are operating in Africa, South America and Asia paid their taxes in those continents instead of routing their profits via the tax havens.

Meamwhile back in the UK tax avoidance is at the heart of a systematic assault on our way of life. Our hospitals and schools are being undermined, standards driven down, and the corporate sector is helping itself to the taxes we ordinary people pay.

But persuits like rock climbing, or sailing, or cycling, or playing football are all forms of exercise which is actually good for you.

Would you pay for the treatment of the coach potatoe who stayed safely indoors watching Tv but had a heart attack?

Definitely......if someone decides to go hand gliding and smashes into a tree. Why should the NHS pay for 12 months of treatment, rehabilitation & physio that cost £100's of thousands?

Or a skier that decides to go off the approved slopes and gets hit by an avalanche. So people have to risk their lifes to rescue them. Should that be paid for by the public?

no need. all the government has to do is remove the 'inter' from 'the office of international development'

problem solved, NHS saved, votes won.

yeah, that's right, i'm saying, "screw the developing world, let's look after our own first."

Not quite Andy. The problem being that the people who say "charity should begin at home" are usually the people who look down their noses at homeless or desperate people and complain that they are too idle to get a job

i could go on.......nothing in live is free

if you dont want to pay for medical care go live in africa and get malaria. its not a pleasant experiance and im sure youd think more of the NHS

the NHS is not free, we pay for it with our taxes. but instead of a better NHS we're funding the healthcare of developing nations. how is that right?

There would be no need for aid if the multinationals that are operating in Africa, South America and Asia paid their taxes in those continents instead of routing their profits via the tax havens.

Meamwhile back in the UK tax avoidance is at the heart of a systematic assault on our way of life. Our hospitals and schools are being undermined, standards driven down, and the corporate sector is helping itself to the taxes we ordinary people pay.

okay, then, some of us pay for it with our taxes.

Not quite Andy. The problem being that the people who say "charity should begin at home" are usually the people who look down their noses at homeless or desperate people and complain that they are too idle to get a job

usually? got any data to back that up?

Edited by deaf andy

the NHS is not free, we pay for it with our taxes. but instead of a better NHS we're funding the healthcare of developing nations. how is that right?

okay, then, some of us pay for it with our taxes.

usually? got any data to back that up?

No I haven't got any data, just what I've seen. This forum is a very good example....The posters (and I'll not name names) who usually complain about immigrants and the sending of money abroad are usually the ones to complain about 'doleys', 'beggars', those down on their luck etc. Have you not observed the same?

Incidentally you may have a point about the British funding the healthcare of developing nations, except that the British do seem to have an inordinate amount of doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals who have come from overseas. Our NHS wouldn't survive without their efforts.

Having just watched (on TV) the Nevada man with 10 stone testicles left to the mercy of his county's supposed healthcare system (he could't afford the treatment he needed outside his state, so had to go without), I have never been so appreciative of the British NHS. If that man had lived here with his dreadful condition, he would have had access to the best treatment in the country.

Having just watched (on TV) the Nevada man with 10 stone testicles left to the mercy of his county's supposed healthcare system (he could't afford the treatment he needed outside his state, so had to go without), I have never been so appreciative of the British NHS. If that man had lived here with his dreadful condition, he would have had access to the best treatment in the country.

You would like to think so but would he? for certain?

I agree....I look on a US medical site and its a real eye opener what condition people show up in at the ER there......babies born at home where there's been no pre natal care is one example - they die for a scan....

also look at the medical examiner programme on really - how often are the deaths a a result of un managed conditions - things that the nhs would at least have looked at....with all its shortfalls - some things are definitively better with the flawed system we have here (well we are going to loose it....)

No I haven't got any data, just what I've seen. This forum is a very good example....The posters (and I'll not name names) who usually complain about immigrants and the sending of money abroad are usually the ones to complain about 'doleys', 'beggars', those down on their luck etc. Have you not observed the same?

Incidentally you may have a point about the British funding the healthcare of developing nations, except that the British do seem to have an inordinate amount of doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals who have come from overseas. Our NHS wouldn't survive without their efforts.

so much dickery goes on around here it's hard sometimes keeping track of who is being a dick about what. i should start keeping notes. actually, no, that would make me a dick.

when our tax money goes overseas, are we buying doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals 'off the shelf' from some international medical staff supermarket? no. those people chose to come here irrespective of how much of our taxes goes to their government for alleged societal improvements.

It is important to remain steadfast in our consideration of the theme of this post - that there are now calls for NHS care to be subject to charges.

There have been attempts to distract attention, to divert the theme by a plethora of vague assertion, to derail the argument.

We have seen attempts to divide and conquer just as in the debate about unemployment, which saw tactics to divide people into the categories of deserving and undeserving poor - here we have encountered the method of suggesting that there are deserving and undeserving sick.

As aliceBB and Parvo bear witness, the NHS is a cherished and valued institution - we must defend it from marketisation. The NHS is there for us all, was funded by us, and we are seeing it being taken to pieces.

We have already got PFI - tying the nhs into over paying for buildings on contracts that last for decades.....

we have operations (but only the easy, profitable ones) handed over to the private sector - but paid for by the nhs.....and not working to capacity but still paid for in full.....

transport and other supporting services being hived out to the private sector... (nhs can't afford to tender)

groups of professionals trying to set up co-operatives to compete denied insurance to practice....

none of this bodes well for our nhs......

though to be fair some people should stop taking the pee......(mainly I mean A&E full of belligerent drunks demanding smbulances for a broken finger nail !!!)