Tramlines Festival

it was wicked don't let tramlines go to meadowhall or near it the city needs it

Never heard of Tramlines before last weekend. From what I read its hardly the music event of the year?

Maybe not, but it's the best music event in Sheffield.

As usual, I had a great Tramlines. Friday was a right off for me due to personal reasons so my main gripe was about myself!

Saturday-didn't get a wristband. Saw:

Early Cartographers -wonderous as ever -at the folk forest then stayed for

captives on the carousel.

Made my way down to the Fat Cat for the annual Everly pregnant bros excellent shindig.

Then I had to dip out for a couple of hours for a previous engagement.

Back to the Rutland to watch Pete Green

Over to west street live to catch the end of input to main.

Finally to the catherdral to watch nadine shah.

Then I was tired so I went home.

Sunday I got a day wristband

Dev green for clean EPB

Tigerworks for skyligers

Domino hall for c is for calculus

Peace gardena for a bit

Inpromptu steve edwards and joe and sydney blow your bubbles on division street rave which was brilliant -a great stumble upon moment.

Dev green for slow club

Harley for witch hunt

Harley for department m who were the band I had looked forward to all weekend

Queens social for sweet baboo and then finally summer camp.

Yes, I too missed the big names of previous years but Tramlines is what you make it.

I fully agree. I thought it disgusting that aggressive security guards were forcing folk to pour away bottled water before entering the wrist band areas. This was a hot day and folk need water. This isn't a single venue event and having to pour away a bottle of water and having to buy another at every venue is as stupid a concept as you can get.

Tramlines need to get a grip. This was once a nice friendly festival.

A couple of other comments about the event.

The program was just about useless. 3 out of 4 events weren't as program. The worst being Lion Works where we turned up at a gig advertised as 1.00pm, only to find the venue had it down as 9pm.

For some reason all the granite seats outside Republic across from the Town Hall had been sprayed with sticky varnish. There was no warning of this and several folk who bought food at the local stalls ruined clothes here.

you won;t get sealed bottled water at most festivals and many gigs. it's to stop people chucking bottles at the stage/into the crowd.

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 13:52 ----------

Well that just confirms my impression of Tramlines and all other such "Festivals" such as Pride, Sharrow, Real Ale etc etc

They care bugger all about culture, music and art - I only went to the Millennium event with my dog and nothing else - since the rest is just geared to flogging the maximum amount of alcohol to the maximum number of people at the maximum prices .. thats all these festivals really care about ... thats why whey are confiscating water so that people with drink booze instead - and then throw in a heatwave and you end up with all the attendent issues - heat stroke, dehydration, rowing, violence , attacks - physical and sexual, gang warefare, people being sick everywhere on the streets, litter, broken bottles and glasses, fast food dumped for the rats to eat, spoiled parks and by ways, urination on the streets, girls and guys dressed for too improperly, cost of policing all this (we tax payers pay for it !) , while the taxi drivers and fast (sickening) food places look on and rub their hands in glee at more drunken people to rip off, people with handovers, lost work days , etc etc ... no thanks!! - I was far happier to stay home this weekend and hang on to my money and sanity and feel safe !!

---------- Post added 21-07-2013 at 23:51 ----------

And this just proves my point of my earlier post ! Money making and nothing else ....

of course they don't. thaty's why they spend their free time arranging festivals that don't make a profit.....you do realise that the people who run tramlines are pretty much all involved with music all year round? and that they don't make money?

or are you too busy reading the Daily Mail ;)

Well that just confirms my impression of Tramlines and all other such "Festivals" such as Pride, Sharrow, Real Ale etc etc

thats all these festivals really care about ... thats why whey are confiscating water so that people with drink booze instead - and then throw in a heatwave and you end up with all the attendent issues - heat stroke, dehydration, rowing, violence , attacks - physical and sexual, gang warefare, people being sick everywhere on the streets, litter, broken bottles and glasses,

Got to defend Sharrow festival here, as non of the above apply to it.

No drinks were confiscated either, of any variety, and no alcohol was on sale as far as i saw and i was there all day. :roll:

I know that these will probably get slagged off on here but i thought they were great!

As usual, I had a great Tramlines.

8< --- snip completely different Tramlines to mine 8< ---

Yes, I too missed the big names of previous years but Tramlines is what you make it.

Well said, Edna!

I've never been fussed about the 'big names' on the main stage stuff. What I am amazed by is the incredible talent that can be found in corners of the city you might not usually go to. Even better if the free Busker's Bus takes you there and you get to join in a singalong (quite possibly with a 'big name'!) on the way.

The Tramlines weekend has introduced me to some fabulous new music and I'm looking forward to seeing those artists again.

Well despite my earlier moan I had a great time at Tramlines once again. There are major things that need sorting out (such as the ticketing policy and the website) but I'm looking forward to next year.

Still not super keen on being forced to buy a programme to find out what's on where, but otherwise cool :)

I went all three days, start to finish, and thought it was the best ever. The (necessary) charge helped keep undesirables away, and although the streets were less busy than the past two years, the atmosphere was wonderful, exacerbated perhaps by the superb weather (ie. DRY).

I too found the website utterly rubbish, a flash-based nightmare by someone who designs on style over substance. I bought a programme which was well worth the three quid and helped us find our way around OK.

We didn't get wristbands and instead spent all our time at the free venues, catching some excellent bands. The point about many of the bands being little-known holds no water with me. One of the beauties of Tramlines is the way in which it opens you up to NEW bands and artists, people you might never have seen otherwise. In that respect, it functions just like Glastonbury, where the best band is usually someone you just stumbled upon and loved. Tramlines doesn't need huge names. It never has, in fact.

Pros:

-more venues than ever before

-less police presence

-real ale everywhere, often at discounted prices for the gig!

- expanded folk forest

-wider choice of music

-fewer 'names', forcing punters to experience someone new

-charges seemed to keep scumbags and scrotes away; we didn't see one bit of bother all weekend

-relaxed attitude to drinking on the streets

-West Bar Tandoori, who brought my wife's food over to her at the Shakepeare, what gentlemen!

-the Busker Bus having bands upstairs and down!

Cons:

-crap website! Get someone else on the case next year!

- STILL no use of the Park Hill Amphitheatre! Come on, sort it out!

-ditto the station forecourt; saxon gigged there, so why not a small stage to welcome Tramlines visitors arriving by train, and further stuff up Howard Street, behind the pub, forming a corridor from the station and link to the amphitheatre?

-the Busker Bus not running as planned early Sunday. More buses please!

All in all, a superb event. Thank you to all concerned.

Edited by Yog Sothoth

Still not super keen on being forced to buy a programme to find out what's on where, but otherwise cool :)

I dont understand why think it should be free.

They cost money to produce and i doubt they make any profit on them.