Tramlines Festival

You haven't got money up front though. Or bands, for that matter.

In any case, you are missing the whole point of the festival.It isn't about the big bands, it is all about the vibe in the city. That's what needs supporting.

if there weren't bigger bands on the bill (however rubbish they may or may not be) no one would go. Sheffield is dreadful for getting people to gigs as it is.

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 16:23 ----------

Is the Cathedral free entry again this year? Been there the last two years, and it works really well (although it feels weird buying beer in the Cathedral)... :)

yes, it is.

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 16:27 ----------

The suggestion is that by charging for the event you risk significantly reducing the number of people coming to Sheffield for it, which in turn means that despite making money from ticket sales the city will lose far more from a loss of spending on food, drink, etc.

There's certainly significant cachet in running a large free city festival, wheras it's difficult to see exactly what Tramilnes offers this year to distinguish it from all the other festivals that are happening - particularly when the line up is not particularly inspiring (although to be fair I'm hardly on the pulse of new music - but I've not heard much excitement).

I'm still looking forward to Tramlines, but I'll probably spend my time wandering around bars that won't charge me to get in, hoping to find some hidden talent.

Problem is, they nee the money to actually run it. it costs loads to pay for running costs nowadays. without major funding they need the money to cover costs before you even look at paying for bands. And if there aren;t any bigger bands playing people won't come and the smaller sponsors wont take part. There's no other festival in the UK which has so many bands in so many venues.

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 16:33 ----------

Heard so many good things about this festival over recent years but something or other has always stopped us attending , so me and my wife are determined to make it this year.

It looks like being on the Sunday , so basically wanting advice / tips on where to go and what to avoid.

We,ll be avoiding the large venues that are charging , nothing to do with money but we are in the ahem autumn of our lives (early 50,s ) and will be more comfortable checking out the various pubs that are taking part in and around the city centre.

If the weather is nice we will see for ourselves all the outdoor stuff , but what pubs / acts should we be seeking out , we have a pretty wide musical taste veering towards rock / country / indie acoustic stuff.

Any advice gratefully accepted

depends what kind of music you're after. The Folk Forest is always good and so is Weston Park. I tend to have a quieter Sunday which normally means going to the Riverside, City Hall Ballroom or Red House.

This year Queens has a good line-up:

https://www.facebook.com/events/154739688047128

as does the Riverside:

https://www.facebook.com/events/398919513550305

and Dada

https://www.facebook.com/events/463551367060069

Its a fantastic event that im sure other cities are envious about.

We regularly come on Sheffield Forum to slag things off but this is actually something to be proud of.

Its unites Sheffielder's from all social backgrounds and we all have a bloody good weekend out.

Shame the Saturday is clashing with the big Wednesday vs United veterans match/fun day at Hillsborough Arena.

I can't say I've heard of many of the bands, but will give some of the free venues like the Cathedral and Library Theatre a go on the Friday and Sunday. I've seen some good bands there in previous years.

I`m still a bit confused about what`s free and what`s not tbh.

I`m still a bit confused about what`s free and what`s not tbh.

From the very first post in this thread:

What do I need to pay for?

You will need to pay to access the main stages and music venues (the ones who usually charge a fee to enter). You will need a wristband to access the following venues:

Devonshire Green (14+ unless accompanied by an adult)

Stage 2 (at the O2 Academy) (14+ unless accompanied by an adult until 9pm)

O2 Academy (14+ unless accompanied by an adult until 9pm)

Corporation (14+ only until 10pm)

City Hall (14+ unless accompanied by an adult until 9pm)

DQ (18+ only)

DLS (18+ only)

The Fez Club (18+ only)

Hope Works (18+ only)

Millennium Gallery (Saturday & Sunday from 6pm)

Penelopes (18+ only)

Plug (14+ until 11pm)

The Harley (wristbanded from 5pm, 18+ only)

The Leadmill (14+ unless accompanied by an adult until 11pm)

Queens Social club (14+ unless accompanied by an adult until 11pm)

Yellow Arch (14+ unless accompanied by an adult until 7pm)

From the very first post in this thread:

Simple - if its not on the list above of venues requiring a paid for wristband then its free.

Simple - if its not on the list above of venues requiring a paid for wristband then its free.

Not entirely true. From what I hear, some of the smaller unofficial venues are thinking of charging admission. So, people will have to pay for a wristband and then think they can get in every venue, only to be told they have to pay a fiver to get in some small pub. The fee was inevitable, i guess, but the knock on effect could well mean the death of tramlines.

Not entirely true. From what I hear, some of the smaller unofficial venues are thinking of charging admission. So, people will have to pay for a wristband and then think they can get in every venue, only to be told they have to pay a fiver to get in some small pub. The fee was inevitable, i guess, but the knock on effect could well mean the death of tramlines.

I've not heard any talk of it and it would be suicidal as no one would go. They make so mych extra on the bar from Tramlines being on, any charging would be just a callous money making scheme.

I'm skipping this year. I think it's a pretty poor line-up considering it's the one they're starting charging for. Only bands I would want to pay to see are Summer Camp and Slow Club.

Why have or should the council fund Tramlines, I've organised Mosborough Charity Music festival for three years now and not had a penny from the council, in fact they wanted a lot of money to hire land even though they have washed their hands on maintaining the site years ago. I still hope it goes well though anything promoting Sheffield is fine by me.