Car Dealerships

This is going back a few years, and it may have been covered on a previous thread, but can you remember the car dealerships in Sheffield? Here is my list.

Ford had three/four: Autoways at the end of Shoreham Street, next to Kennings; Brook Shaw, on the corner of Union Street/ Norfolk Street and Charles Street (this was before they moved to Gibralter Street) and T.C. Harrison on London Road. Sheaf Motors on Sheaf Street also sold Fords.

Austin was sold by Freeman Oaks, at the top of Fitwilliam Street

Morris/ Riley /Wolsely was represented by the Kenning Group in that huge building at Shoreham Street and Paternoster Row. (later, they sold the full range of BMC cars and British Leyland Products)

Vauxhall (General Motors) were sold by Bentley Brother, in the Wicker and On Savile Street.

Jaguar, Standard and Triumph were sold by Hadfield's at the far end of Brown Street (before they moved to Sharrow Vale)

Rover were sold by Crabtree and Nichols up on Pinston Street, opposite the Peace Gardens and behind on Cross burgess Street(?)

Rootes Products (Hillman/Humber) was sold by Pickfords on Ecclesall Road

Singer was sold by a dealership on Ellen's Street (just off the bottom of the Moor) I think their name was Batty but I'm not sure. Later Singer was taken over by Rootes Group.

Gilders sold Volkswagen in Cambridge Street - before they moved the business to Banner Cross.

I can't remember who sold Jowett Cars or Lanchester.

Have I left any body out ?

I started work at T C Harrison in 1966, I married in 1973 and moved to Chesterfield. I started work at Kennings Whittington Moor until 1977, I went to Autoways as a rep until I was made redundant in 1980, they have all gone now but I,m glad I left the motor trade.

Hi Nurbard, thanks for the update on Dereck, we worked together at Brook Shaws 1946 / 7 for a short time i was mating him as a 14/15 year old, but he got up Brook Shaw's nose with his buying ex army cars and doing them up and was given the ultimatum, pack it in or leave ! he did try and tempt me to join him in this new venture by my Mother stopped that as she considered it not a proper job. You never know where I would have ended up

Pity how he ended his days, but then we never know what fate is going to deal.

Tony Devoto in City Road, had the dealership for Yugo cars. Didn't last long though.

I had a Yugo had a problem getting it through its test due to been unable to get a acceptable petrol cap,didnt they blow up the factory in a war there

There was a dealership on Broadfield Road, the name of which escapes me. I think it was next door to Arnold Laver and they sold very droolable AC cars.

Mike

heely bridge garage?

---------- Post added 14-06-2017 at 21:30 ----------

Hoffmans at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd sold Mercs and Rippn bros sold Rollers,Waldot middlewood sold Wartburgs,volvo,rootes,NSU reliant and Volkies.Charlie May on Backfields sold Moscovitch Moorhouse and metcalfe sold a few makes and Credlands Sheffield Lane Top sold Ford as did Terminus Garage at Midlewood which was owned by John Hardy.Standard vanguard was also sold by Sammy Wilsons on West St.

I worked for Charlie may on backfields in the late sixties early seventies, he had a partner called Charlie frith the company was called "motor services carver street" during the war years he built motor bike engines for the army at night after normal hours, he was also a dealer for clyno a very early fabric bodied car. Charlie was very old school his nickname was three dot, engineers will know what that means.

Fred Wilson, Hillsborough Corner - Talbot Sunbeam (It's a Fred car!)

Look once, look twice

Look for the D.C.Cook sign :)

Meersbrook Garage down Meersbrook Datsun agents, got my first new car from there 1972

meersbrook garage had another site at Holland selling Datsuns it was "millhouse garage" on millhouse st jan the gaffer was a giant of a man, polish ex wrestler once gave me his old wallet,it was a lucky charm went on start my own business still tinkering although supposed to be retired.

ahaha Choogling you should have asked him about that skinny 17yr old who stood up to him when he called him a liar.He wasnt particularly tall more like stocky but built like a brick outhouse him and his mate Max a builder used to throw the oxygen bottles to each other when i worked for him at Meersbrook Garage in 1959.I told him to do one but not politely when he called me that and told him to stuff his job ,took my ovvies off strapped my tool box on my motorbike and as i started to go he came running up to me full of apologies ,too late mate get lost.Many years later when we had given him the NSU dealership he sent a minnion to poach me with a then big wage offer i will leave you to guess what i said to the fella,a few days later Jan came walking down the yard so i collard him and had a few choice words for him telling never to come near me if he valued his dealership because a word to my boss and he most certainly would have.I believe he went to Spain with his friend Toni Dalli the singer,there was a rumour he had opened a wine bar with Sean Connery but thats as much as i know.Was he still wearing that brown pinstripe suit when you knew him ?

Edited by bullerboY

ahaha Choogling you should have asked him about that skinny 17yr old who stood up to him when he called him a liar.He wasnt particularly tall more like stocky but built like a brick outhouse him and his mate Max a builder used to throw the oxygen bottles to each other when i worked for him at Meersbrook Garage in 1959.I told him to do one but not politely when he called me that and told him to stuff his job ,took my ovvies off strapped my tool box on my motorbike and as i started to go he came running up to me full of apologies ,too late mate get lost.Many years later when we had given him the NSU dealership he sent a minnion to poach me with a then big wage offer i will leave you to guess what i said to the fella,a few days later Jan came walking down the yard so i collard him and had a few choice words for him telling never to come near me if he valued his dealership because a word to my boss and he most certainly would have.I believe he went to Spain with his friend Toni Dalli the singer,there was a rumour he had opened a wine bar with Sean Connery but thats as much as i know.Was he still wearing that brown pinstripe suit when you knew him ?
its been over fifty years since I worked for him cant remember any suit.

There was a short lived dealership on London Rd in the 70's/80's which sold Porsche and a Japanese make- Mazda I think. I think also there was a dealership on the road that used to exist where Staples is now at Moorfoot. There was a central doorway at the front and to one side it was a Simca dealership and the other side was Rolls Royce. A little known one was Sandygate Motors at Crosspool which held the Goggomobile franchise in the late 50's/ early 60's.

Edited by Person6

Derby's garage on Infirmary Road were Ford agents, this was in the 50's and 60's.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 13:50 ----------

The Rolls Royce agents were Rippon Brothers on Ellin Street. They also had a showroom on Ecclesall Road South, opposite Ecclesall church.

Sandygate Motors was owned by J J Dyson refactories of Storrs Tom Stone was the Director and they were British Leyland Dealers later Peter Lockwood was Service Manager.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 19:02 ----------

Meersbrook Garage were also Lloyd and Borgward dealers