Car Dealerships

It was Waldot Service Station owned by Walter and Dorothy Dungworth who also had the subsidiary known as Europa cars,which they developed into the Mercedes Dealership on Hanover way.I was the man who looked after everyones NSU be it Prinz4,Prinz1000,1200,TT ,TTS or Spider Sport Prinz or RO80.I went to Germany to Neckarsulm many times on courses for these cars an even though I am now retired still go every year to see my many friends over there.I worked for the Dungworths for 13years and it was the best job I ever had.Mrs Dungworth is still alive and is 87now sadly Walter who stayed a friend with me over the years died seven years ago.I would have done the work on your parents car.

Thank you stevew and bullerboY. You've now jogged my memory. That's the place; Europa Cars. And what a surprise bullerboY that, all these years later, I should come across the mechanic who serviced the car.

In the summer of '66 I drove that little car down to Spain and back on holiday with three friends. A memorable trip, made even more so because it coincided with England winning the world cup which we witnessed in a bar full of Germans on the Costa Brava.

echo.

Hi Shytot, It could be the same Derek Burnand, I know he lived with his parent's in Totley in the late 1940's and his father had a motor business , I had assumed he would have gone in with and perhaps taken over the firm in due course but that doesn't seem to have happened. I do remember he was a bit of a rebel because when working for Brook Shaw the management found out he was buying ex army Ford 10's from the Government auctions and making them 'roadworthy' and they did not take kindly to the practice, he was given the choice of packing it in or leaving, and so he left !

Thank you stevew and bullerboY. You've now jogged my memory. That's the place; Europa Cars. And what a surprise bullerboY that, all these years later, I should come across the mechanic who serviced the car.

In the summer of '66 I drove that little car down to Spain and back on holiday with three friends. A memorable trip, made even more so because it coincided with England winning the world cup which we witnessed in a bar full of Germans on the Costa Brava.

echo.

Hi,Echo,What were your parents surname i may remember them,still see quite a few of the old customers. Edited by bullerboY

Does anyone recall a dealership selling NSU cars located on Middlewood Road on the right, just up from Hillsborough Corner. My parents bought an NSU Prinz from there in 1966. It had a 2 cylinder, 600cc engine and achieved 65 mpg, which was commendable in those days.

NSU were most famous for developing the rotary engine which they fitted in the Ro80 model. The company were absorb by VW in 1969 and subsequently by Audi.

echo.

By the way, I also had a 1964 Prinz 4 although I bought it s/h from another dealer ( not NSU). I found Europa's prices high.

By the way, I also had a 1964 Prinz 4 although I bought it s/h from another dealer ( not NSU). I found Europa's prices high.
Thats cos we sold the best cars and gave the best service we did not skimp on anything and always gave the best we could,it was a joy to go to work on these great cars.The knowledge we had was second to none even the importers at Shoreham on Sea rang for technical info when they encountered a non mainstream problem.Its a crying shame that they are not made today with modern advances these little cars would be the best sellers,60MPG was not uncommon even in those far off days and as you know they could certainly shift.

How can we have forgotten Portland Autos on West Bar. I believe they sold cars from the eastern bloc before becoming the countries first Datsun (Nissan) dealer. I believe that I learnt to drive on one of the first Datsuns in Britain at Broomhill Driving School. It was a Datsun 1200 and sold for £888.

Broomhill Driving School, was that the one owned by Tarrants?

Hillsborough Garage Hillsborough and Bramall Lane

Plus City Rd Vauxhall agent part of Hillsborough Garage. Worked as Salesmen at all three in the late 19th . agents also for Triumph,Aston martins , Jags..I brought the first XJ to put on show in Sheffield .Weller was the sales manager .Gent was sales manager at City Rd

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 14:09 ----------

Plus City Rd Vauxhall agent part of Hillsborough Garage. Worked as Salesmen at all three in the late 1960s . agents also for Triumph,Aston martins , Jags..I brought the first XJ to put on show in Sheffield .Weller was the sales manager .Gent was sales manager at City Rd[/

Plus City Rd Vauxhall agent part of Hillsborough Garage. Worked as Salesmen at all three in the late 19th . agents also for Triumph,Aston martins , Jags..I brought the first XJ to put on show in Sheffield .Weller was the sales manager .Gent was sales manager at City Rd

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 14:09 ----------

Plus City Rd Vauxhall agent part of Hillsborough Garage. Worked as Salesmen at all three in the late 1960s . agents also for Triumph,Aston martins , Jags..I brought the first XJ to put on show in Sheffield .Weller was the sales manager .Gent was sales manager at City Rd[/

I bought my first ever car from Masons on city road, a mk1 cortina for £525, a veritable fortune in the early sixties.

How about Westfield Motors on West St sold BMC, Rootes, and DKW also had a branch on Queens Road which they bought from C D Bramhall, they were a Ford retail dealer. Westfield Motors was owned by Walter Hattersley who also owned a large hotel opposite the Victoria train station.

Weir Head garage near Hillfoot Bridge were M.G dealers

Does anyone know anything about D ( Derck ? ) Burnand of Totley or the firm, Dereck was a motor dealer and servicing garage.

If it's the same man I worked with him at Brook Shaw ( Ford Dealer ) after he was demobbed from the army in about 1947, he started on his own by buying an army surplus car at the government auctions, doing it up and selling it when there was a 2 to 3 year waiting list for new cars as everything was going for export due to our very serious financial situation just after WW 2, ( sounds very familiar with today's situation doesn't ? ).

Yes it is the same man from Brook Shaw. He progressed to building Fords from collecting components, this attracted a visiting deputation from Ford interested in this unofficial assembly line. They of course stopped this activity.

Derek A Burnand of "Totley Autos" was a character, love/hate with plod, early successful car hire business in the 50s, owned a family of small dogs, was married and had several children, still tinkering with cars at 75 years of age and died alone at Easter 1999.

So can anybody remember the Datsun dealers on London road, where the old petrol station is now, which again is closed and is now a car sales pitch.

I remember going to the site in the late 60s when i was a kid, they were just demolishing the garage and i managed to salvage an aluminium Datsun sign that hung on my bedroom wall for many years.

The garage that stood where Staples is now also had a branch on Leeds Road Attercliffe, they also sold/serviced Rootes products there but also sold Commer trucks there.

They were originaly called DEIGHTONS, then became PICKFORD DEIGHTONS, then just PICKFORDS.

Ahh the memories keep flooding back......

Wasn't Deighton's on Old Hall Road near Attercliffe police station ?

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 23:16 ----------

WHAT ABOUT "BUYING A CAR.. SEE VICTOR PARR" HE SOLD RENAULT AND THE CAR OF THE DAY THEN...THE DAUPHINE!!!! HE WAS ON INFIRMARY RD Cnr of HENRY AND WATERY st's

pjk capr town

And The Star's 'Win a car for Whitsun'. I think they were Ford's if anyone won one.

Edited by stpetre
add