Car Dealerships

Another dealer we forgot - B.J.? Williams on both sides of Abbeydale Road, I think it is now Moonlight Textiles. They must have been Morris dealers because my dad bought a brand new Morris Minor Traveller there in 1960, reg. number 4501 WA.

He also bought a new Morris Oxford Estate in 1967. reg. number OWE749E, from Shukers of Sheffield. I think they were on Duke Street, probably now somewhere under Sheaf Square!

Of course Brocklehursts, of Chesterfield, also had an art deco style Rootes showroom at Meadowhead - now the filling station opposite The Norton.

I also think that the Blue Star Garage on Ecclesall Road at Banner Cross, currently a Texaco filling station, had a showroom selling Ford.

I remember B.J. Williams also being MG, Wolseley and Riley dealers.

So can anybody remember the Datsun dealers on London road, where the old petrol station is now, which again is closed and is now a car sales pitch.

I remember going to the site in the late 60s when i was a kid, they were just demolishing the garage and i managed to salvage an aluminium Datsun sign that hung on my bedroom wall for many years.

The garage that stood where Staples is now also had a branch on Leeds Road Attercliffe, they also sold/serviced Rootes products there but also sold Commer trucks there.

They were originaly called DEIGHTONS, then became PICKFORD DEIGHTONS, then just PICKFORDS.

Ahh the memories keep flooding back......

Forgot to mention, Bentleys had a branch on Abbeydale rd, bottom of St.Ronans Road, sold Bikes and Reliants, they had the workshop/garage round the back of the shop.

We used to throw bangers under the Reliants on display coming up to Bonfire night and watch the cars rock as they went off.

Pretty stupid thing to do i spose, but we were kids....

Have a look at these Falls. 1939.

Mick

carsales1.jpg

carsales-1.jpg

WHAT ABOUT "BUYING A CAR.. SEE VICTOR PARR" HE SOLD RENAULT AND THE CAR OF THE DAY THEN...THE DAUPHINE!!!! HE WAS ON INFIRMARY RD Cnr of HENRY AND WATERY st's

pjk capr town

Beighton Motor Company at Beighton High Street were Wartburg dealers.

Meersbrook Garage down Meersbrook Datsun agents, got my first new car from there 1972

Well this thread has been a trip down memory lane for me. My first job at 16 was as Office Junior at Ernest W Hadfield, 1/7 Sydney Street. I then moved onto work in the Motor Taxation Office when it was based at the back of the Town Hall (memory prevents me remembering the road name) before it moved to Hartshead behind the Telegraph and Star.

Happy days, we didnt know people by their name, just the name of the garage, made some great friends through that job on both sides of the counter. My mate used to fancy the guy from Somalia Garage, and we met him one night in Scamps or Josies and we approached him and said "dont you work for Somalia Garage" and he said "I am Somalia Garage" which became a catch phrase of ours for years to come, when people came across too big for their boots!

I remember a Chrysler/Hillman/ Simca dealer on Bradfield Road, Hillsborough the name Fred Wilson seems to spring to mind. I remember winning a motoring competion on Radio Hallam sponsored by Wilson's and a group of us being taken to the Rootes factory at Ryton and seeing Hillman Avenger's being made. As I had an Avenger GT at the time I remember drooling over a V8 engined Avenger destined for Brazil.

I also remember Highfield Motors on London Road where I bought my Sunbeam Imp Sport in grasshopper green metallic.

The dealer in Glossop Road , Broomhill was called Hancocks (of Hathersage) I was in their showroom to witness the launch of the Ford Consul Classic.

As a schoolday I was also in the showroom of Ernest Hatfield on Norfolk Street at the back of the Peace Gardens to witness the unvieling of the .......................................JAGUAR E-TYPE !!!!!!!!

Rippon Bros. opposite Ecclesall Church sold Rolls-Royce, this later became Europa.

Joseph Tomlinson, bottom of Eccy Road - Above The Arcade, sold Standard.

Jack Clarke sold Volvo from a shop unit in Berkeley Precinct, also Eccy Road.

Hello,

I recently bought a car which was originally dispached to Ernest Hatfield on Norfolk Street. It is a Triumph Vitesse 2l MKII convertible, original colour was "New White ". This car was produced in November 1968 and dispached on 22.November 1968 to E.W. Hatfield.

The MKII version was produced from autumn 1968 on - it was brand new on the market at this time and I believe that the car might be sold in spring 1969. So there is a chance that someone remebers a lovely convertible standing for months in the showroom.

The car is now, after 10 years in Holland, moved further to Mainz / Germany where I'm about to bring it back on the road.

Anyone remembers it?:help:

Well this thread has been a trip down memory lane for me. My first job at 16 was as Office Junior at Ernest W Hadfield, 1/7 Sydney Street. I then moved onto work in the Motor Taxation Office when it was based at the back of the Town Hall (memory prevents me remembering the road name) before it moved to Hartshead behind the Telegraph and Star.

Happy days, we didnt know people by their name, just the name of the garage, made some great friends through that job on both sides of the counter. My mate used to fancy the guy from Somalia Garage, and we met him one night in Scamps or Josies and we approached him and said "dont you work for Somalia Garage" and he said "I am Somalia Garage" which became a catch phrase of ours for years to come, when people came across too big for their boots!

That really appeals to my sense of humour, what a dink HE was, a legend in his own lunch break.

Hillsborough Garage Hillsborough and Bramall Lane

hillsborough garage on bramall lane sold the jenson ff

hillsborough garage on bramall lane sold the jenson ff

and just up from the gaumont cinema in barkers pool was , i believe cambridge motors that sold all american cars .