Jump to content

Watch Battery Replacement - Daylight Robbery!

Recommended Posts

I have always replaced watch batterys myself. Never had any problem, apart from if used to get them from somewhere like Maplins they always used to sell them in twos so I used to get one of the internet. It was the same with jackplugs and other things, sold in two's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

He was right about the batteries.  Unfortunately, it does matter what type of watch it is though.

 

I've just had batteries replaced in two of my watches.  The first one cost £550, the second one cost £650.  That was eye-watering!  I exaggerate a little actually.  This wasn't just for having batteries replaced.  Although that's how it started.

 

My first watch, a Breitling, had stopped telling the time.  It was right, twice a day, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it just needs a new battery.  But...you don't take a watch like that to Timpson's or a stall in Meadowhall, for a battery.  Why?  Because the watch is worth a few grand and it has a life-time guarantee, but that becomes invalidated if you have anyone other than the manufacturer "mess around with it".  It's a diver's watch and is sealed so that it's good down to about 250m underwater.  Not that it's ever been that deep underwater - I think the deepest its been is the bottom of the washing up bowl, but hey...it's nice to know that if I ever do plunge to the bottom of the sea-bed with it on, the watch is going to be just fine!

 

All the more reason then why I was a bit surprised when HL Brown's phoned me up to say it's going to be £550.  The battery replacement was about £150 apparently, but the rest of the things that needed doing to it - (new buttons on the outside, full-service and a new strap) bumped the price right up.

 

The Breitling is my favourite watch and I wear it all the time.  But I do have another (well 2 actually) watch that I alternate with, and that's a Tag Heuer.  So whilst the Breitling was away I was wearing the Tag for work.   This is a kinetic watch.  So it doesn't have a battery.  But it was losing time - something you don't expect of an expensive watch.  So, when the Breitling came back the Tag went in for service as well.  As I said, £650 for that one!  

 

My other watch is a Raymond Weil.  I had the battery replaced in that about 2 years ago - it cost about £120.  But it didn't need any other stuff doing to it.  So when I hear these tales of battery repairs costing £4 or £7 I think that's cheap!  

 

I do like a good quality watch.  I don't wear any jewellery, (or have tattoo's or piercings for that matter).  I think good shoes (I usually wear Church's) and a good watch make a positive statement about a person.  But I didn't realise when I was buying said watches that the cost of keeping them running is in a totally different league to owning a cheaper watch.  

 

 

 

 

I wear a 1980's Casio AE-1200WH.

 

Great old LCD and has served me well to this day...Folks ask me whats that on your wrist?..

 

We have a good convo..

 

Unlike wearing the Brietling.. When no one asks you anything. !

 

I loved what you said a bout shoes though...;)

 

BUT...Did you ever see that Film..." Shawshank Redemption"..;)

 

'No one looks at folks shoes'...;).

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2019 at 07:27, DerbyTup said:

He was right about the batteries.  Unfortunately, it does matter what type of watch it is though.

 

I've just had batteries replaced in two of my watches.  The first one cost £550, the second one cost £650.  That was eye-watering!  I exaggerate a little actually.  This wasn't just for having batteries replaced.  Although that's how it started.

 

My first watch, a Breitling, had stopped telling the time.  It was right, twice a day, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it just needs a new battery.  But...you don't take a watch like that to Timpson's or a stall in Meadowhall, for a battery.  Why?  Because the watch is worth a few grand and it has a life-time guarantee, but that becomes invalidated if you have anyone other than the manufacturer "mess around with it".  It's a diver's watch and is sealed so that it's good down to about 250m underwater.  Not that it's ever been that deep underwater - I think the deepest its been is the bottom of the washing up bowl, but hey...it's nice to know that if I ever do plunge to the bottom of the sea-bed with it on, the watch is going to be just fine!

 

All the more reason then why I was a bit surprised when HL Brown's phoned me up to say it's going to be £550.  The battery replacement was about £150 apparently, but the rest of the things that needed doing to it - (new buttons on the outside, full-service and a new strap) bumped the price right up.

 

The Breitling is my favourite watch and I wear it all the time.  But I do have another (well 2 actually) watch that I alternate with, and that's a Tag Heuer.  So whilst the Breitling was away I was wearing the Tag for work.   This is a kinetic watch.  So it doesn't have a battery.  But it was losing time - something you don't expect of an expensive watch.  So, when the Breitling came back the Tag went in for service as well.  As I said, £650 for that one!  

 

My other watch is a Raymond Weil.  I had the battery replaced in that about 2 years ago - it cost about £120.  But it didn't need any other stuff doing to it.  So when I hear these tales of battery repairs costing £4 or £7 I think that's cheap!  

 

I do like a good quality watch.  I don't wear any jewellery, (or have tattoo's or piercings for that matter).  I think good shoes (I usually wear Church's) and a good watch make a positive statement about a person.  But I didn't realise when I was buying said watches that the cost of keeping them running is in a totally different league to owning a cheaper watch.  

 

 

 

 

We get it - you’ve got a breitling watch - how many more times?

Edited by makapaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear a black "Vesta" watch, it literally was sent free on a coupon  from a packet of Vesta dried beef curry meal. I've never seen another one, so must be more rare than any Brietling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, carosio said:

I wear a black "Vesta" watch, it literally was sent free on a coupon  from a packet of Vesta dried beef curry meal. I've never seen another one, so must be more rare than any Brietling.

 Omg, I miss those Vestas, loved one after a few at the pub and didn't really fancy fish and chips afterwards. Do they still do them? By the way, what is a bloody Breitling, is it something like a brisling?

 Back on topic, why on earth does anyone even need a watch these days? Everybody has a mobile in the pocket or handbag, and they are always accurate. Saying that I have3 pocket watches( gifts) which I use as dress up when I want to wear my 3 piece suit.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2019 at 02:27, DerbyTup said:

He was right about the batteries.  Unfortunately, it does matter what type of watch it is though.

 

I've just had batteries replaced in two of my watches.  The first one cost £550, the second one cost £650.  That was eye-watering!  I exaggerate a little actually.  This wasn't just for having batteries replaced.  Although that's how it started.

 

My first watch, a Breitling, had stopped telling the time.  It was right, twice a day, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it just needs a new battery.  But...you don't take a watch like that to Timpson's or a stall in Meadowhall, for a battery.  Why?  Because the watch is worth a few grand and it has a life-time guarantee, but that becomes invalidated if you have anyone other than the manufacturer "mess around with it".  It's a diver's watch and is sealed so that it's good down to about 250m underwater.  Not that it's ever been that deep underwater - I think the deepest its been is the bottom of the washing up bowl, but hey...it's nice to know that if I ever do plunge to the bottom of the sea-bed with it on, the watch is going to be just fine!

 

All the more reason then why I was a bit surprised when HL Brown's phoned me up to say it's going to be £550.  The battery replacement was about £150 apparently, but the rest of the things that needed doing to it - (new buttons on the outside, full-service and a new strap) bumped the price right up.

 

The Breitling is my favourite watch and I wear it all the time.  But I do have another (well 2 actually) watch that I alternate with, and that's a Tag Heuer.  So whilst the Breitling was away I was wearing the Tag for work.   This is a kinetic watch.  So it doesn't have a battery.  But it was losing time - something you don't expect of an expensive watch.  So, when the Breitling came back the Tag went in for service as well.  As I said, £650 for that one!  

 

My other watch is a Raymond Weil.  I had the battery replaced in that about 2 years ago - it cost about £120.  But it didn't need any other stuff doing to it.  So when I hear these tales of battery repairs costing £4 or £7 I think that's cheap!  

 

I do like a good quality watch.  I don't wear any jewellery, (or have tattoo's or piercings for that matter).  I think good shoes (I usually wear Church's) and a good watch make a positive statement about a person.  But I didn't realise when I was buying said watches that the cost of keeping them running is in a totally different league to owning a cheaper watch.  

 

 

 

 

 I bet you have the most expensive house on your street and of course the finest car.How many celebs do you know intimately?  😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

 Omg, I miss those Vestas, loved one after a few at the pub and didn't really fancy fish and chips afterwards. Do they still do them? By the way, what is a bloody Breitling, is it something like a brisling?

 Back on topic, why on earth does anyone even need a watch these days? Everybody has a mobile in the pocket or handbag, and they are always accurate. Saying that I have3 pocket watches( gifts) which I use as dress up when I want to wear my 3 piece suit.

Apparently you can still get them, including the Paella!

 

I once had a wind-up Breitling watch given me in the early 70s, it was slim, gold with white facia, but I fell in the sea with it on and the salt water damaged the workings so was ruined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2019 at 07:27, DerbyTup said:

He was right about the batteries.  Unfortunately, it does matter what type of watch it is though.

 

I've just had batteries replaced in two of my watches.  The first one cost £550, the second one cost £650.  That was eye-watering!  I exaggerate a little actually.  This wasn't just for having batteries replaced.  Although that's how it started.

 

My first watch, a Breitling, had stopped telling the time.  It was right, twice a day, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it just needs a new battery.  But...you don't take a watch like that to Timpson's or a stall in Meadowhall, for a battery.  Why?  Because the watch is worth a few grand and it has a life-time guarantee, but that becomes invalidated if you have anyone other than the manufacturer "mess around with it".  It's a diver's watch and is sealed so that it's good down to about 250m underwater.  Not that it's ever been that deep underwater - I think the deepest its been is the bottom of the washing up bowl, but hey...it's nice to know that if I ever do plunge to the bottom of the sea-bed with it on, the watch is going to be just fine!

 

All the more reason then why I was a bit surprised when HL Brown's phoned me up to say it's going to be £550.  The battery replacement was about £150 apparently, but the rest of the things that needed doing to it - (new buttons on the outside, full-service and a new strap) bumped the price right up.

 

The Breitling is my favourite watch and I wear it all the time.  But I do have another (well 2 actually) watch that I alternate with, and that's a Tag Heuer.  So whilst the Breitling was away I was wearing the Tag for work.   This is a kinetic watch.  So it doesn't have a battery.  But it was losing time - something you don't expect of an expensive watch.  So, when the Breitling came back the Tag went in for service as well.  As I said, £650 for that one!  

 

My other watch is a Raymond Weil.  I had the battery replaced in that about 2 years ago - it cost about £120.  But it didn't need any other stuff doing to it.  So when I hear these tales of battery repairs costing £4 or £7 I think that's cheap!  

 

I do like a good quality watch.  I don't wear any jewellery, (or have tattoo's or piercings for that matter).  I think good shoes (I usually wear Church's) and a good watch make a positive statement about a person.  But I didn't realise when I was buying said watches that the cost of keeping them running is in a totally different league to owning a cheaper watch.  

 

 

 

 

PA Jewellery replaced the battery in my quartz Omega Aqua Terra for £50, including pressure testing and certificate.  I always send my automatic Seamasters to Omega for servicing, the last time I had one done it cost £400.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Micky D said:

PA Jewellery replaced the battery in my quartz Omega Aqua Terra for £50, including pressure testing and certificate.  I always send my automatic Seamasters to Omega for servicing, the last time I had one done it cost £400.

I took my Raymond Weil watch to PA Jewellery last week for a battery replacement, it cost £6.  Nothing else done just a replacement battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I took my Raymond Weil watch to PA Jewellery last week for a battery replacement, it cost £6.  Nothing else done just a replacement battery.

I take all mine to UK bullion ecclesall road, they do batteries, servicing and strap refurbs at a fraction of main rolex or omega franchises, they have a factory trained rolex technician . excellent service and a good price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At a scrap yard I used to run to they had just had a delivery of scrap stainless watches, 50 gallon barell's full of them. I was given a Lorus Sports (cheap make?) it must have been 20 years ago at a guess, it's on my wrist as I type this. Not bad for scrap.It has seen a couple of "better" watches off, one of them was an Omega, although it was second hand.

 

Angel1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.