Watch Battery Replacement - Daylight Robbery!

I have always replaced watch batterys myself. Never had any problem, apart from if used to get them from somewhere like Maplins they always used to sell them in twos so I used to get one of the internet. It was the same with jackplugs and other things, sold in two's.

12 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

He was right about the batteries.  Unfortunately, it does matter what type of watch it is though.

I've just had batteries replaced in two of my watches.  The first one cost £550, the second one cost £650.  That was eye-watering!  I exaggerate a little actually.  This wasn't just for having batteries replaced.  Although that's how it started.

My first watch, a Breitling, had stopped telling the time.  It was right, twice a day, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it just needs a new battery.  But...you don't take a watch like that to Timpson's or a stall in Meadowhall, for a battery.  Why?  Because the watch is worth a few grand and it has a life-time guarantee, but that becomes invalidated if you have anyone other than the manufacturer "mess around with it".  It's a diver's watch and is sealed so that it's good down to about 250m underwater.  Not that it's ever been that deep underwater - I think the deepest its been is the bottom of the washing up bowl, but hey...it's nice to know that if I ever do plunge to the bottom of the sea-bed with it on, the watch is going to be just fine!

All the more reason then why I was a bit surprised when HL Brown's phoned me up to say it's going to be £550.  The battery replacement was about £150 apparently, but the rest of the things that needed doing to it - (new buttons on the outside, full-service and a new strap) bumped the price right up.

The Breitling is my favourite watch and I wear it all the time.  But I do have another (well 2 actually) watch that I alternate with, and that's a Tag Heuer.  So whilst the Breitling was away I was wearing the Tag for work.   This is a kinetic watch.  So it doesn't have a battery.  But it was losing time - something you don't expect of an expensive watch.  So, when the Breitling came back the Tag went in for service as well.  As I said, £650 for that one!  

My other watch is a Raymond Weil.  I had the battery replaced in that about 2 years ago - it cost about £120.  But it didn't need any other stuff doing to it.  So when I hear these tales of battery repairs costing £4 or £7 I think that's cheap!  

I do like a good quality watch.  I don't wear any jewellery, (or have tattoo's or piercings for that matter).  I think good shoes (I usually wear Church's) and a good watch make a positive statement about a person.  But I didn't realise when I was buying said watches that the cost of keeping them running is in a totally different league to owning a cheaper watch.  

I wear a 1980's Casio AE-1200WH.

Great old LCD and has served me well to this day...Folks ask me whats that on your wrist?..

We have a good convo..

Unlike wearing the Brietling.. When no one asks you anything. !

I loved what you said a bout shoes though...;)

BUT...Did you ever see that Film..." Shawshank Redemption"..;)

'No one looks at folks shoes'...;).

Casio made in Japan keep great time I like Timex too from USA 

Guest makapaka
On 10/08/2019 at 07:27, DerbyTup said:

He was right about the batteries.  Unfortunately, it does matter what type of watch it is though.

I've just had batteries replaced in two of my watches.  The first one cost £550, the second one cost £650.  That was eye-watering!  I exaggerate a little actually.  This wasn't just for having batteries replaced.  Although that's how it started.

My first watch, a Breitling, had stopped telling the time.  It was right, twice a day, if you know what I mean.  So I thought it just needs a new battery.  But...you don't take a watch like that to Timpson's or a stall in Meadowhall, for a battery.  Why?  Because the watch is worth a few grand and it has a life-time guarantee, but that becomes invalidated if you have anyone other than the manufacturer "mess around with it".  It's a diver's watch and is sealed so that it's good down to about 250m underwater.  Not that it's ever been that deep underwater - I think the deepest its been is the bottom of the washing up bowl, but hey...it's nice to know that if I ever do plunge to the bottom of the sea-bed with it on, the watch is going to be just fine!

All the more reason then why I was a bit surprised when HL Brown's phoned me up to say it's going to be £550.  The battery replacement was about £150 apparently, but the rest of the things that needed doing to it - (new buttons on the outside, full-service and a new strap) bumped the price right up.

The Breitling is my favourite watch and I wear it all the time.  But I do have another (well 2 actually) watch that I alternate with, and that's a Tag Heuer.  So whilst the Breitling was away I was wearing the Tag for work.   This is a kinetic watch.  So it doesn't have a battery.  But it was losing time - something you don't expect of an expensive watch.  So, when the Breitling came back the Tag went in for service as well.  As I said, £650 for that one!  

My other watch is a Raymond Weil.  I had the battery replaced in that about 2 years ago - it cost about £120.  But it didn't need any other stuff doing to it.  So when I hear these tales of battery repairs costing £4 or £7 I think that's cheap!  

I do like a good quality watch.  I don't wear any jewellery, (or have tattoo's or piercings for that matter).  I think good shoes (I usually wear Church's) and a good watch make a positive statement about a person.  But I didn't realise when I was buying said watches that the cost of keeping them running is in a totally different league to owning a cheaper watch.  

We get it - you’ve got a breitling watch - how many more times?

Edited by makapaka

I wear a black "Vesta" watch, it literally was sent free on a coupon  from a packet of Vesta dried beef curry meal. I've never seen another one, so must be more rare than any Brietling.

8 hours ago, carosio said:

I wear a black "Vesta" watch, it literally was sent free on a coupon  from a packet of Vesta dried beef curry meal. I've never seen another one, so must be more rare than any Brietling.

Omg, I miss those Vestas, loved one after a few at the pub and didn't really fancy fish and chips afterwards. Do they still do them? By the way, what is a bloody Breitling, is it something like a brisling?

Back on topic, why on earth does anyone even need a watch these days? Everybody has a mobile in the pocket or handbag, and they are always accurate. Saying that I have3 pocket watches( gifts) which I use as dress up when I want to wear my 3 piece suit.

Edited by Ontarian1981

On 10/08/2019 at 02:27, DerbyTup said:

I bet you have the most expensive house on your street and of course the finest car.How many celebs do you know intimately?  😫

5 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Omg, I miss those Vestas, loved one after a few at the pub and didn't really fancy fish and chips afterwards. Do they still do them? By the way, what is a bloody Breitling, is it something like a brisling?

Back on topic, why on earth does anyone even need a watch these days? Everybody has a mobile in the pocket or handbag, and they are always accurate. Saying that I have3 pocket watches( gifts) which I use as dress up when I want to wear my 3 piece suit.

Apparently you can still get them, including the Paella!

I once had a wind-up Breitling watch given me in the early 70s, it was slim, gold with white facia, but I fell in the sea with it on and the salt water damaged the workings so was ruined.

On 10/08/2019 at 07:27, DerbyTup said:

PA Jewellery replaced the battery in my quartz Omega Aqua Terra for £50, including pressure testing and certificate.  I always send my automatic Seamasters to Omega for servicing, the last time I had one done it cost £400.

6 hours ago, Micky D said:

PA Jewellery replaced the battery in my quartz Omega Aqua Terra for £50, including pressure testing and certificate.  I always send my automatic Seamasters to Omega for servicing, the last time I had one done it cost £400.

I took my Raymond Weil watch to PA Jewellery last week for a battery replacement, it cost £6.  Nothing else done just a replacement battery.

11 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I took my Raymond Weil watch to PA Jewellery last week for a battery replacement, it cost £6.  Nothing else done just a replacement battery.

I take all mine to UK bullion ecclesall road, they do batteries, servicing and strap refurbs at a fraction of main rolex or omega franchises, they have a factory trained rolex technician . excellent service and a good price.

At a scrap yard I used to run to they had just had a delivery of scrap stainless watches, 50 gallon barell's full of them. I was given a Lorus Sports (cheap make?) it must have been 20 years ago at a guess, it's on my wrist as I type this. Not bad for scrap.It has seen a couple of "better" watches off, one of them was an Omega, although it was second hand.

Angel1.