Watch Battery Replacement - Daylight Robbery!

Ask timsons how much they charge to change your locks if you want a real shock.

National company's take the **** because that can.

Keep it local

You've got to remember your paying someone for a service. You can pick up a lock for a door for a couple of quid but a locksmith will charge you 10 times that. 

Also they waterproof and garentee their work so if anything happens they replace it. 

As a watch fan I gradually bought all the tools necessary to get into watches and links and stuff, although it cost a few quid over the years for the tools I have saved loads by being able to replace batteries in any of the watches me and the other half have, and on the subject of battery quality, almost all the poundland batteries  I have used in watches have lasted years.

7 hours ago, Barke5522 said:

You've got to remember your paying someone for a service. You can pick up a lock for a door for a couple of quid but a locksmith will charge you 10 times that. 

Also they waterproof and garentee their work so if anything happens they replace it. 

I'm guessing the OP will have found out if his battery was any good after six years.

On 22/06/2013 at 10:46, Groose said:

So I needed a Watch Battery replacement. I went to a certain stall in the precinct at Hillsborough (Timpson), to be told it would cost me £7.95 to replace the battery.

After taking my watch back from Timpson and saying that was expensive, I went out of the precinct to Parker's. I got the battery replaced for £3.99. How can Timpson charge nearly double to get a battery replaced in the watch. It's ridiculous!

I refuse to go anywhere near Timpsons again. 

I had new doors and windows fitted on the house. They came with new fangled 'security' keys (flat blade with dimples). We got 2 cut sets and 2 blank sets with the package. The blanks were in a sealed packet with the name of the key company.

Took them down to Timpsons to get them cut as I'd seen them on there wall previously & they refused to cut them. The bloke behind the counter stated (and this is verbatim) "We're not insured to cut keys". That's right folks, a key cutter that isn't insured to cut keys.

But miraculously if I bought the blanks from them (@ £12.99 each + cutting @ £3.95) then they have insurance, so near £70.

I later found an independent key cutter who had the ability to cut them & got them all done for £12., no fuss. 

I did complain to Timpsons HQ & they apologised, stating that the particular security key we had should have been cut by their store as they're aware the manufacturer supplies blanks to customers & stores have been made aware of this prior to my visit, my reply to that was "so the store was trying to rob me for a larger revenue instead of following company policy". They replied with "It's being investigated as a matter of gross misconduct however I would not be informed of the outcome due to data protection". 

good lord the amount of people moaning about paying for a service astounds me, are these people not allowed to make a living, yes a watch battery costs anywhere from 8p to £1 wholesale  but its the time to fit it , overheads etc dealing with a customer is going to take at least 10-15 mins? how much do you value your time?

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

Took them down to Timpsons to get them cut as I'd seen them on there wall previously & they refused to cut them. The bloke behind the counter stated (and this is verbatim) "We're not insured to cut keys". That's right folks, a key cutter that isn't insured to cut keys.

Not cutting third party blanks is standard procedure at many locksmiths. 

Something to do with the metal in cheap Chinese blanks can damage the equipment.

1 minute ago, alchresearch said:

Not cutting third party blanks is standard procedure at many locksmiths. 

Something to do with the metal in cheap Chinese blanks can damage the equipment.

However, as stated these were manufacturer supplied & a company policy supposedly in place to allow cutting. 

36 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

good lord the amount of people moaning about paying for a service astounds me, are these people not allowed to make a living, yes a watch battery costs anywhere from 8p to £1 wholesale  but its the time to fit it , overheads etc dealing with a customer is going to take at least 10-15 mins? how much do you value your time?

Sorry it’s 5 minutes at my local market £3 

If only there was a way watches could be powered by another source like those radios that chap made that had a dynamo running off the stored energy of a spring. Hang on I think i have an idea, look out for me on Dragons den,  this time next year i'll be a millionaire rodney.

£8 for a watch battery that surely is a wind up.  (ba dum chh)   😂  well somebody had to say it.

I do still actually use a clockwork watch on the rare occasions i wear one, i sits patiently in its draw for months reliably ready for action at a moments notice. 

24 minutes ago, Holiday1166 said:

Sorry it’s 5 minutes at my local market £3 

local market ?? ok very little overheads, probably a one man band and not very busy thats why its 5 mins and £3.

think yourself lucky most of mine are automatics and have to go away to be serviced.