Watch Battery Replacement - Daylight Robbery!

Did Parker's pressure test the watch and give you a guarantee for the work?

Cheap doesn't always mean good.

---------- Post added 22-06-2013 at 14:47 ----------

I went to timpsons to get a battery for a designer watch and they tried to charge me £20! Won't be going there again.

Which means they would have had to send it to the manufacturer to do the work, so costs a lot more.

My watch isn't expensive. It isn't water proof to begin with. So there was no way in heck I was going to pay over the odds.

My diving watch costs £65.00 to get the battery changed and sealed. You can tell every 18 months when I lose half a stone drinking tap water for the week.

I haven't read all the posts but I got my battery replaced at impulse in the precinct in Hillsborough for £3.00 xx

A few months ago I took a watch to Crystal Peaks and asked at the booth near the escalators they wanted £8 to change the battery went to another place £4 I think but they couldn't get the back off. Went to Argos got a watch for £5 with a 2 year warranty.

My diving watch costs £65.00 to get the battery changed and sealed. You can tell every 18 months when I lose half a stone drinking tap water for the week.

Good quality button cell 30p

Some grease 2p

... what am I missing?

I believe Timpsons price is a lifetime price- they replace any future batteries for free (providing you can produce the receipt) so not so expensive if it is a watch you are likely to keep for some time

I believe Timpsons price is a lifetime price- they replace any future batteries for free (providing you can produce the receipt) so not so expensive if it is a watch you are likely to keep for some time

Nope, 1 year. Or so the guy said.

I got so sick of paying out for replacement watch batteries and having the watch hermetically resealed to ensure it was still water proof, I ended up buying a Citizen eco-drive, charges whilst wearing by sunlight, and should last for six months without sunlight, (quite handy for UK use, lol) not bad overall when you consider that I was paying out a small fortune for mine and the wifes watch every couple of years for batteries etc, the money I have saved buy not having to replace batteries etc justify the cost of the eco-drive in the long term.

So I needed a Watch Battery replacement. I went to a certain stall in the precinct at Hillsborough (Timpson), to be told it would cost me £7.95 to replace the battery.

After taking my watch back from Timpson and saying that was expensive, I went out of the precinct to Parker's. I got the battery replaced for £3.99. How can Timpson charge nearly double to get a battery replaced in the watch. It's ridiculous!

My watch requires a specific battery in it (its a Swiss commando watch), PA Jewelry charge me £6.95 and its free parking yet if I go to H Samuel its £19.95 and costs me parking and I have to leave the watch with them to collect either later or on another day...just where is the logic in that? needless to say I go to PA every time

---------- Post added 22-06-2013 at 21:42 ----------

I got so sick of paying out for replacement watch batteries and having the watch hermetically resealed to ensure it was still water proof, I ended up buying a Citizen eco-drive, charges whilst wearing by sunlight, and should last for six months without sunlight, (quite handy for UK use, lol) not bad overall when you consider that I was paying out a small fortune for mine and the wifes watch every couple of years for batteries etc, the money I have saved buy not having to replace batteries etc justify the cost of the eco-drive in the long term.

Why do you have it hermetically sealed???

Are you going to dive below 50 metres on a regular basis because if not why are you paying for it to be done??? its illogical.....:loopy:

I have a Swiss made commando watch, I can still swim in it, shower with it on without it being hermetically sealed, if I have it sealed it'll cost a fortune and it doesn't mean to say I'm going to cam up in army gear and do whatever a commando does!:roll:

If however you are a deep sea diver I can understand this otherwise you're paying through the nose for something you don't really need and wherever you take the watch can see you coming....

What annoys me most is the price jewellers charge for a service.

I have an expensive watch that my late wife bought for me.

When the battery needed changing I had it done in Meadowhall for a few quid.

Sadly, it only lasted six months and the watch stopped again.

Parkers in Hillsborough suggested it may need a service or could have been a bad battery.

I went for the battery exchange.

I then left Sheffield.

Six months later the watch stopped again, so found a jewellers here in Wales and asked about a service.

£70 pounds was the quote!

Needless to say this watch has sentimental value...but sits safely at home unworn, whilst I wear a £9-99 watch from Argos.

£14.95 to replace at Casio watch battery in Tiverton, the guy there told me, don't bother and to chuck the watch and buy another ... fair enough!!! That was Timpsons, can't fault them

Edited by sedith
addition