Watch Battery Replacement - Daylight Robbery!

So I needed a Watch Battery replacement. I went to a certain stall in the precinct at Hillsborough (Timpson), to be told it would cost me £7.95 to replace the battery.

After taking my watch back from Timpson and saying that was expensive, I went out of the precinct to Parker's. I got the battery replaced for £3.99. How can Timpson charge nearly double to get a battery replaced in the watch. It's ridiculous!

Maybe they use better quality batteries which will last more than twice as long as the ones Parker's use? Maybe they pay the staff a higher hourly rate?

Who knows, but you voted with your feet and they lost a sale.

So I needed a Watch Battery replacement. I went to a certain stall in the precinct at Hillsborough (Timpson), to be told it would cost me £7.95 to replace the battery.

After taking my watch back from Timpson and saying that was expensive, I went out of the precinct to Parker's. I got the battery replaced for £3.99. How can Timpson charge nearly double to get a battery replaced in the watch. It's ridiculous!

Had the same problem with Timpsons for heeling shoes, £4 cheaper ar other

shoe repairers and just as good.

had the same problem with a watch i took to atkinsons,was told that because it was a "designer" watch it would be a lot more expensive for a battery,so took it to local jeweller at firth park,job done for £2.99,he said that all the batteries are the same,doesent matter what make the watch is,

Went to same stall in precinct for a key cutting. £7.95!!! I voted with my feet as well :)

Often places charge what they can, its business. I got my battery replaced by a cheap place and the the back kept coming off my watch, subsequently went for repair due to water ingress and as it was a 200 quid watch the repair was 150 so not worth it. Therefore its not only the battery you get its the quality of the work albeit what appears to be the simplest of tasks

Not all batteries are the same, there are quite a few different sizes. It is possible to buy a card of cheap batteries at the Pound Shop, but the average price for a decent quality one, such as renata, would be around a pound, so if you are being charged £8, some one is making a fat profit.

I went to timpsons to get a battery for a designer watch and they tried to charge me £20! Won't be going there again.

The other factor is waterproofness (not sure if that's a word). Timpsons may offer a guarantee on water ingress whereas I've had batteries replaced before on market stalls who've told me that the watch will no longer be water proof if they change it.

Edited by steroc

Kerfoots on Wadsley Bridge shops is where I take my watches for batteries, he used to own a stall in the market, very reasonable prices.

Support our local shops.

A stall on the moor wanted to charge me £7.00 to change one of mine, when i queried it he said it would cost more in Atkinsons.

If you can take the back off yourself then get your batteries online. I have saved a lot of cash doing my own.