Alderfen fisheries

I spent a very enjoyable day at Alderfen yesterday,staying a lot longer than i intended. Rather than fishing the usual method feeder i used a groundbait feeder

with dead maggots and a few micros in the mix, alternating between red maggot,pellet and corn on the hook.I also fed a pole line and a margin swim. I caught steady all day with a number of bream,tench and a few nuisance carp from all three swims.I had some maggots left so for the last 30 mins i put a light rig on and fished up in the water at 6 metres for a load of ravenous roach and rudd.

I should go one time armed with hemp and caster for an all out assault on the silvers as you could really bag up but I can't resist the bream and tench.

Talking about silver fish at alderfen iv fished it in the autumn with hemp and a little known bait these days tares. had some fantastic roach and rudd

didn't manage to get out last weekend & won't this one either, wife's birthday

itching to get back here & I'll definitely be leaving the pole at home, concentrating instead on a close-in waggler rig & maybe an in-line maggot feeder

that autumn roach with hemp & tares sounds a bit tempting pkingy

I fished alderfen yesterday. It wasn't the best day's fishing i've had there but I still managed a couple of good tench, a few carp and loads of small skimmers which, to be honest, were a pain as even a bigger bait didn't deter them.

The water level is low, I sat on the marginal shelf to fish. I got the better fish under an overhanging bush, laying a shallow rig on the slope.

An added bonus was seeing the Vulcan bomber flying over in the afternoon.

I fished alderfen yesterday. It wasn't the best day's fishing i've had there but I still managed a couple of good tench, a few carp and loads of small skimmers which, to be honest, were a pain as even a bigger bait didn't deter them.

The water level is low, I sat on the marginal shelf to fish. I got the better fish under an overhanging bush, laying a shallow rig on the slope.

An added bonus was seeing the Vulcan bomber flying over in the afternoon.

Don't beat yourself up, mate. August is always a tricky month - even in over stocked muddy puddles.

Fished here last Sunday for my final tench session of the year

(now we're officially in autumn I'll be fishing the river most weekends)

I wouldn't say it fished its nuts off, but it was a bite a bung on the short pole line (7-8m) with pellet

lots of crucians, skimmers, proper bream, a couple of carp & half a dozen pristine tench, the best touching 4lb

had a single carp from the margins, but where I was I'd only got 18" depth so difficult to get fish feeding properly

Fished here last Sunday for my final tench session of the year

(now we're officially in autumn I'll be fishing the river most weekends)

I wouldn't say it fished its nuts off, but it was a bite a bung on the short pole line (7-8m) with pellet

lots of crucians, skimmers, proper bream, a couple of carp & half a dozen pristine tench, the best touching 4lb

had a single carp from the margins, but where I was I'd only got 18" depth so difficult to get fish feeding properly

Whereabouts did you fish? I had a look the other day and too many of the pegs looked a bit iffy for my cack-handed style of fishing.

I fished alderfen yesterday. The air and water temperature were a lot cooler than of late making the fishing a bit harder.

I filled the margin in at the start even though I had less than a foot of depth and fished out at 7 metres catching skimmers until I could see fish rooting in the margin swim from which I had a few carp. When bites ceased I filled it in again and left it until the fish returned. I even had carp coming under my feet where i'd spilt some bait.

Overall a decent days fishing but not one tench which was a bit disappointing.

I was opposite end to the car park area, peg no19 I think, 1st one after the corner if you walk clockwise round the lake from the driveway

it's a fair drop to the water at the moment, so filling a pellet pump & soaking feed pellets is a proper chore

gutted you didn't get any tench Charliewag, only reason I make the journey

I generally fish the bank adjacent to what was the specimen lake. The pegs aren't the best so I put my box on the marginal shelf. The feet tend to sink in the sand a bit but it's stable.