Alderfen fisheries

fished this last Saturday had a good day 16 tench 4 carp and 1 bream their was only me and 2 other anglers on the match lake. I can`t understand why its not a lot busier. I know lindholme is just down the road but this is not a carp lake it is a genuine mixed fisheries lake and its a place not often matched at the weekends. I might be shooting myself in the foot here bet next time I go I can`t get a peg

I've fished it a few times, its great for a pleasure day, but once you get a match...the weights dive down massively, itsjust one of those venues that has a niche market and also the pegs aren't marked very well either, for the same price I can go to much better venues within a few miles, if you like tench try triang at Thorne and fish the old lakes at the back, 100lb of tench is quite possible In a pleasure day there !

Just thought I'd revive this thread, not been to Alderfen since 2009 (price of fuel, match & family commitments etc) but had been meaning to return here, but always seemed to find an excuse to not go

well, yesterday I took the plunge, after asking myself, what am I waiting for...?

arrived just after 6am (there's no messing about waiting for someone to come & open the gates, the biggest issue for me with my previous favourite, Kiveton Waters, by the time you're allowed in, most self-respecting tench have already finished their breakfasts) and despite there being a few carp anglers already fishing the 2 furthest lakes, there was no one at all on the first one

last time I went it was slightly different from now, the first lake was the match lake, the middle lake was the specimen lake - stocked with big specimens of many species: tench, bream, rudd, perch, roach & some carp, and the last lake was a carper's paradise

well, the specimen lake is now a carp lake too, but the good news (for me) all them big tench are now in the 1st lake - no longer a match lake, purely a pleasure lake (there will be a couple of matches on it, as the owner has to stand to the ones already booked)

after a walk round the whole lake I chose peg 24, (which is about 9 o'clock, looking at the lake from the car parking area) it had a nice margin both left & right, an easy chuck to the island & most importantly, there were already fish fizzing in the swim!

began on method feeder 5' short of the island (with all the reeds over there, I didn't fancy fishing really tight up, plus line clips are not allowed so I err'd on the side of caution), had a couple of taps immediately, but then quiet

I gave that 10 minutes before abandoning - couldn't resist the pole line

so started at 13m where I'd got 5' depth, 6mm expander on the hook & straight away the float (which I hadn't even dotted down yet) buried, tench of about 1lb

a good start

continued on that line or much of the morning, and ended up with 10 tench up to a beautiful 4lber, 24 bream up to an ugly, nobbly 6lber & 2 average 5-6lb carp

occasionally I'd try the margins (dead red maggots, with caster, maggs, pellet & corn feed) but could only get rudd, perch & ide

didn't get anything on the method, although I did get a lot of taps & trembles, but couldn't work out how to convert those into proper bites - but I think it was because I was trying to draw the fish away from the safety of the weeds, so they were extra cautious

feed-wise, I began the day with 1/2 cup of micro's on my 13m line (not so easy as I was having to break down twice due to the high bank behind, but worth he effort), and rather than my usual technique of attaching a pole mounted feed pot & trickling micro's every bung (that seemed to produce a much smaller stamp of skimmer) I topped up with 1/2 cup every 5 fish, this pinned the fish on the deck, rather than the trickle approach pulling them up in the water

packed in at around midday & was very pleased with the results, just wish it was closer to home

that said, it's only 32 miles from me & I did the journey in 45 minutes, and it's almost next door to Lindholme, and I know a lot of Sheffield lads fish there regularly

have you fished at messingham sands scunny thats a great carp pond there

long time ago when I used to fish matches, but I'm a tench man

I was going to e-mail Dave to ask about the fish in the specimen lake. Now you've mentioned they've been moved to the old match lake i'll be going to fish it shortly. Like you, dars 35, I like tench fishing as well as the chance of some decent bream.

yeah, that was my main concern as there were some really good fish in that lake, not just tench, so I was delighted when he told me they'd all gone into the pleasure lake

so you could potentially hit a 4oz skimmer one cast or an 8lb tench or bream next

he also said they'd been feeding all round the lake, a couple of regulars told me they often fish close to one of the car park areas, where you can cast a feeder tight into a corner, but I'd expect to find fish everywhere

the place has a really nice, natural feel about it too, there are obvious pegs but they're not wooden platforms & many are overgrown, so a levelling system for your seatbox or chair is advisable

I would have liked to go back this weekend, but can't - only chance I'll get for a session this weekend will be Saturday morning, when my daughter's at gymnastics with her mum, so I'll take my youngest lad somewhere local - Howbrook or Westwood I think, be a nice little reward for him finishing his y6 sats, the only drawback with that is he doesn't like an early start, so we'll be fishing 10am-1pm, probably won't get any tench but there may be some crucians feeding

If you do get chance to go Charlie, can you let me know how you get on

Edited by dars35

fished this last Saturday had a good day 16 tench 4 carp and 1 bream their was only me and 2 other anglers on the match lake. I can`t understand why its not a lot busier. I know lindholme is just down the road but this is not a carp lake it is a genuine mixed fisheries lake and its a place not often matched at the weekends. I might be shooting myself in the foot here bet next time I go I can`t get a peg

Went to alderfen on Monday had a good day as usual the reason iv revived this is to tell people that there will be no more matches after the end of this month it will be day ticket only. And you can night fish it too.

had a 2nd recent visit here 24th May, this time there was a small match on pegs 1-10, so I went right round the far end from the car parking area, peg 19 I think, lovely looking peg - but so many of them are - much easier to fish that peg with the pole too as it's pretty much flat behind you

fished pole & pellet from 7-11am, ended up with 15 tench to just shy of 4lb, a load of proper bream & skimmers & a superb 3lb crucian

in addition, there were a good number of carp thrashing in the margins & round the island, so I didn't cast the feeder across like I'd planned to as a backup method - don't like fishing for spawning fish

superb days tenching, and an absolute pleasure to fish, just wish it was a bit closer to home...

next visit I'm only going to take my 11ft pellet waggler rod & fish a pole float set up on the running line in the margins, owner says there's always loads of good fish patrolling the lake, and it's always been one of my favourite methods, just a bit of a leap of faith only relying on that one tactic...

Edited by dars35

had a 2nd recent visit here 24th May, this time there was a small match on pegs 1-10, so I went right round the far end from the car parking area, peg 19 I think, lovely looking peg - but so many of them are - much easier to fish that peg with the pole too as it's pretty much flat behind you

fished pole & pellet from 7-11am, ended up with 15 tench to just shy of 4lb, a load of proper bream & skimmers & a superb 3lb crucian

in addition, there were a good number of carp thrashing in the margins & round the island, so I didn't cast the feeder across like I'd planned to as a backup method - don't like fishing for spawning fish

superb days tenching, and an absolute pleasure to fish, just wish it was a bit closer to home...

next visit I'm only going to take my 11ft pellet waggler rod & fish a pole float set up on the running line in the margins, owner says there's always loads of good fish patrolling the lake, and it's always been one of my favourite methods, just a bit of a leap of faith only relying on that one tactic...

Like the sound of that - might go this weekend, certainly if the wind dies down (I've been once on the speci lake and would imagine it's hard work if it's windy)

The margins have produced a lot of fish for me in the past so don't be afraid to give it a go.

it was windy last time I went tinfoil, but because of all the bushes that have been planted & now grown to a decent size, not only does it offer a bit of protection from the elements, but in many swims you can't actually see any other anglers, which when you add that to the fact there are no peg platforms as such (just flat-ish cut-out sections in the banking) gives the lake a very natural & non-commercial feel

Charlie, you're spot on there mate, everywhere I fish (almost everywhere) I alternate between one or two open water pole lines & both sides of the margins, had some superb fish from the margins over the years

there were a lot of fish close in all round the lake, but like I said many were spawning so I wasn't happy fishing for them, but next time might be a different story...