Buttys Lump, Attercliffe

I have been researching men who worked for Vickers Steelworks, Sheffield, England, who fell in the Great War 1914-18. Whilst researching details of William Whysall, I found his family living at 'Buttys Lump' Attercliffe when the 1891 census was taken. Has anybody ever heard of this address/place? Can anybody tell me where it was?

Stannington Roll Of Honour

10 Buttys Lump--Broughton Lane

Butty's Lump, Broughton Lane was a square of small houses previously known as Huntsmans Houses below the bridge to the right hand side as you go down Broughton Lane towards Attercliffe, the site of the new Centertainment Complex. My Grandfather was born at No.2. Huntsmans Houses in 1866. I think it got the name of Butty's Lump after 1890.

Was "Buttys lump" the old railway cottages by any chance.

thanks

juliediane

Butty's Lump, Broughton Lane was a square of small houses previously known as Huntsmans Houses below the bridge to the right hand side as you go down Broughton Lane towards Attercliffe, the site of the new Centertainment Complex. My Grandfather was born at No.2. Huntsmans Houses in 1866. I think it got the name of Butty's Lump after 1890.

The 1903 Alan Godfrey OS Map of Attercliffe clearly shows the Huntsman buildings, exactly where you say. It also describes them as follows:

"Huntsman's buildings off Broughton Lane, were tenements provided by Benjamin Huntsman for his colliers at Tinslley Park. More correctly known as Railway cottages by the turn of the century(and euphemistically Sunderland cottages later still)".

You can buy the old maps from Waterstones at Meadowhall for £2.20.

Or you can see them on this map: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~engsheffield/photos/streets/streetrelated/1890smap.htm

They are the six longish buildings at the side of the canal, just to the right of where it says Broughton Lane Sta.

"Huntsman's buildings off Broughton Lane, were tenements provided by Benjamin Huntsman for his colliers at Tinsley Park.

That fits the man I have researched. the 1891 census lists him, fifteen years old, a miner. His father and elder brother were also miners.

10 Buttys Lump--Broughton Lane

can you confirm the Whysall family lived at number 10?

Regards

Robert

10 buttys lump rg12/3840-103f

whysall

vincent 50 coal miner -b- derby codnor

emma 50-b derby ripley

john 29-b-hammersmith

vincent 26-b-hammersmith

emma 16-b-sheffield

william 15-b-sheffield

henry 9-b-sheffield

beatrice 8-b-sheffield

Thanks retep.

One final question - a strange one

Is Henry 9-b-sheffield

a boy or a girl?

Good point-he-she is put down as a daur but the age is in the male column so would think its a enumerators mistake, will try and check.

checked and he's down as Harry 19 in the 1901 as a miner.

I have come across boys with girls names and vice versa,but usally as a middle name.

perhaps just to keep a name alive?

as an extra william 25 is at ripley 1901 underground coal miner

Thanks for the help retep

and many thanks to all the other people who contributed.

Cheers

Robert.

Thanks for the info. I also have a family living at Butty's Lump in 1891, John and Emma Nixon. He's down as a Coal Miner and obviously worked in one of Huntsman's pits. :)

Wish they would put some life back into the 'Cliffe. Remember it with affection in the 60's when Attercliffe Road around Banners was a busy place.

Kevin

I was born in 23 Railway Cottages in 1942 my Grand Parents, Charlie & Sally Darlow lived at No.19. I spent most of my childhood days in and around the are and as far as I can remember it was refered to as "Railway Cottages" bacause all the tennents had links to the railway either as past or present employees. The families I can remember are the Woolens, Hughes, Shepperd and Mann. My family used the Railway Inn, now the Noose & Gibbet. My Father and Grandfather were engine drivers at Darnell Loco where I spent many a happy day. If anyone has similar memories please drop me a line.