Why do I need a pasport or a driving License to get a job?

True but I have been asked for the same credentials when I have attended different courses. How do they expect a 16 - 19 year old to have a passport or a driving Licence?

16 to19? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have a full birth certificate and have sent them proof of my NI number.

Employers MUST see the originals of all ID documents - it's a legal requirement

None of the jobs I've had have required photo ID. This includes Santander & Asda. They've all accepted my full birth certificate and other supporting documents.

Prior to joining Santander as an employee I also obtained a bank account with them, again without photo ID.

I have had the same problem with banks. Some will accept a coding notice from HMRC or a benefit letter. It's just ridiculous that they think that only those with a passport or driving licence really exist. Has the Queen got either of these ?

i think she has , the freeloaders who come here also have them some may be bogus so i think thats the reason for the security check on applicants ,after all an employer wouldnt want a large fine for employing illegals,so , whats next ? id papers with photographs on ,a fine if you dont carry them at all times ? sounds like nazi germany to me , all i need is to hear some bloke in a black leather overcoat say to me " for you ze vor ist over "

Hi, go to the interview and tell them you forgot...stress :]

sort if out when they offer you the job :)

---------- Post added 21-06-2013 at 22:37 ----------

They do this to cover their back...put on your union jack jacket :)

Employment offices must know that these type documents are required and should be making sure that candidates for jobs have them or are in the process of getting them.

How do they expect a 16 - 19 year old to have a passport or a driving Licence?

At 16 you can apply for your own passport, there is no need for parental consent.

True but I have been asked for the same credentials when I have attended different courses. How do they expect a 16 - 19 year old to have a passport or a driving Licence?

Its not exactly an unreasonable request is it? all my kids have had passports from being a few weeks old and my eldest applied for their driving licence at 15 ready for their 16th birthday,

whats next ? id papers with photographs on ,a fine if you dont carry them at all times ? sounds like nazi germany to me

Well, actually, most Continental countries that have ID cards have done so since WW II. It was a measure introduced under Nazi occupation, which was conveniently preserved after the war because it provided for a handy track record of the population. I was issued one at age 12 and was legally obliged to carry it with me at all times; under Belgian law, it is indeed an offence to move about on the streets without identification. It was renewed every 6 years.

Not that it is of much help in this country, nevertheless. I was refused an NI number because the chip in the card, according to the embassy, said that I was officially still living in Germany. Have been on a provisional number for over a year, since I could not, hitherto, be arsed to go all the way to London just for a 30-second procedure. My P60 just had a blank on it. I adamantly endeavoured to get the number, but was turned down, and they would not give me my ID back either. In high dudgeon, I thereupon betook myself to the sinistre Jobcentre cellar on West Street and threatened to sue them. Took quite some effort to get my identity back — I don’t trust them one bit. Who do these Work and Pensions chappies think they are? I have no recollection of voting for them.

Edited by Eccentric

I applied for a job this morning and the HR dpt from the job telephoned me to ask some questions. She invited me to go to an interview.Everything was going OK until the lady asked me to bring some ID with me. I asked her what form of ID she wanted and she told me that I needed to bring either a passport, a driving license or a full birth certificate. When I told her that I only have a full Birth certificate and utility bills she told me that its not good enough and that the Home office rules state that I need a passport or a driving license. She told me that I will not get employed without these documents. The government keep harping on about how they need to get people into work but they have made it harder for people to get a job.

So, what's the issue with proving a birth certificate?

Edited by Cyclone