Why do I need a pasport or a driving License to get a job?

TBH if photographic ID is required by UK citizens to prove their identity for things like jobs etc then that ID should be provided FREE by the authorities.

But we know it isn't required.

What ID do you need to get a driving licence or a passport?

I used my bus pass as photo ID to open an account with a scrap yard. They wouldn't accept a utility bill or paper driving licence, but I used these to get the bus pass.

Personally I think ID cards are a good idea, but they should be optional and free.

---------- Post added 22-06-2013 at 09:27 ----------

What's a full birth certificate? Even when you're born you only get a certified copy, and you or anyone else can get a certified copy of your birth certificate so it proves nothing.

It is a legal requirement that all employers check that the person they are employing / employ can legally work in the UK. Employers must keep records of these checks ie a photocopy of documents and store these securely.

Failure to do this can lead to £10,000 fines, a prosecution and,probably for large employers, the opportunity to sponsor people from abroad to become an employee

For more info https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-to-work-in-the-uk

If you are a British Citizen you need

- a full birth certificate (that shows parent/s details) AND proof of National Insurance Number

OR

- a British Passport

This is correct.

I asked her what form of ID she wanted and she told me that I needed to bring either a passport, a driving license or a full birth certificate. When I told her that I only have a full Birth certificate and utility bills .

She asked you for a full birth certificate, you told her you have one. This post really finished at this point of the conversation. Go to the interview and take your full Birth Certificate.

I applied for a job this morning and the HR dpt from the job telephoned me to ask some questions. She invited me to go to an interview.Everything was going OK until the lady asked me to bring some ID with me. I asked her what form of ID she wanted and she told me that I needed to bring either a passport, a driving license or a full birth certificate. When I told her that I only have a full Birth certificate and utility bills she told me that its not good enough and that the Home office rules state that I need a passport or a driving license. She told me that I will not get employed without these documents. The government keep harping on about how they need to get people into work but they have made it harder for people to get a job.

It's rubbish. I only have a full birth certificate, no passport or driving license. I have utility bills and bank statements and these have always been enough. I've had to pass CRB checks in every job and there has never been an issue.

Passport and Driving License is easier as it's photo ID, but not essential.

Its not exactly an unreasonable request is it? all my kids have had passports from being a few weeks old and my eldest applied for their driving licence at 15 ready for their 16th birthday,

Sorry for the confusion Im 41, I was using the 16 - 19 years old thing as an example. I have never left the country so I have never needed a passport.

You need to view the original documents yourself for the company to be protected and t he person who said ti say you have forgotten it, definitely don't follow their advice! !! I work for a large retailer and two others and whenever we have conducted interviews it is one of the first things we check. If they have not got it without a genuine reason and I've forgotten it is not! The interview is terminated and myself personally have not re asked someone back if they have forgotten their id as if you really wanted a job you would bring the correct documentation. Its the law employers see this id

Its to prove that you are a UK citizen!

On the money.

Angel.

Its not exactly an unreasonable request is it? all my kids have had passports from being a few weeks old and my eldest applied for their driving licence at 15 ready for their 16th birthday,
but just suppose you have no intention of going abroad ,thousands dont so why would they require a passport ? many people dont apply for a driving licence either because they have no inclination to own a vehicle

of course you could include the disabled ,the blind and the house bound in respect of not needing a driving licence or passport,so it is unreasonable to expect them to apply for one isnt it ?

I had a problem with this as I didn't have an up to date valid passport. I had to order a full birth certificate as my original one was not acceptable. I had to use my driving licence, NI number, full birth certificate as well as professional registration information.

What really confuses me is why they would not accept my original birth certificate and only accept a full birth certificate (it was stated it has to be the full one showing my parents information). In the year I was born, the nationality of my parents would not make a difference to anything, they could have been any nationality and I would be entitled to be a UK citizen. So the information on the full certificate giving my parents information, would not make any difference to my entitlement to be a British citizen or being allowed to legally work in the UK. I could understand if the rule for this was applied to birth certificates after the date that automatic nationality changed.

I can understand the need to ensure employees are entitled to work but the above example that happened to me, I feel does not make sense. Can anyone make sense of my particular situation and explain this to me?

I have had the same problem with banks. Some will accept a coding notice from HMRC or a benefit letter. It's just ridiculous that they think that only those with a passport or driving licence really exist. Has the Queen got either of these ?

I think it's a rich irony that the banks push us mercilessly to go "paper free" to save themselves money - but then require hard-printed Utility bills (not home-printed copies on online bills) etc as proof of address, when all the Utilities have also done all they can to get us to deal online... to save money. They can't have it both ways!

but just suppose you have no intention of going abroad ,thousands dont so why would they require a passport ? many people dont apply for a driving licence either because they have no inclination to own a vehicle

of course you could include the disabled ,the blind and the house bound in respect of not needing a driving licence or passport,so it is unreasonable to expect them to apply for one isnt it ?

why dont these people go abroad?

dont disabled people drive?

As the OP stated though, a birth certificate is sufficient. The OP even said she had one, I really don't understand what the complaint is at all.