Fancie in Liquidation?

In England they are called fairy cakes.

And they usually have a lot less disgusting chemically play-dough coloured die on them.

Can you prove they're coloured with "chemicals"?

How can you run up debts of £136k to creditors buying a few eggs, some flour and a bit of of cream ?

But it is typical that you go into liquidation set up a new company and start off debt free ready to rip off your next set of suppliers.

People should refuse to but from her shop.

I think they are way overpriced and is why I make my own sometimes.

How can you run up debts of £136k to creditors buying a few eggs, some flour and a bit of of cream ?

But it is typical that you go into liquidation set up a new company and start off debt free ready to rip off your next set of suppliers.

People should refuse to buy from her shop.

I think it's more probably due to the outrageous levels of rents, business rates, power costs, insurance, public liability, water rates, etc, rather that the cost of the ingredients.

Having said that, I don't think people should be allowed to get away scotfree especially when they get to continue with the same business. They should have to pay at least 75% of what they owe back, over a time scale to be agreed with the creditors.

The commonly used dyes are made from aniline, with either petroleum or coal tar. Yum :gag:

HMRC can now ask for a security, usually an upfront cash deposit, from a business or Director if it deems them a risk.

The legislation has been introduced to tackle the behavior of a minority of businesses who deliberately choose not to pay tax. These businesses often evade tax by becoming insolvent but immediately start up a new company and continue to trade. This is a way of stepping away from their debts to both HMRC and other traders.

Now I'm not saying Fancie have deliberately run up debts and gone insolvent in an effort to escape paying their dues, but in theory the new Ltd Co. could be asked for money up front just in case they go insolvent again.

It's a relatively new thing brought in to try and combat Phoenixism.

HMRC can now ask for a security, usually an upfront cash deposit, from a business or Director if it deems them a risk.

The legislation has been introduced to tackle the behavior of a minority of businesses who deliberately choose not to pay tax. These businesses often evade tax by becoming insolvent but immediately start up a new company and continue to trade. This is a way of stepping away from their debts to both HMRC and other traders.

Now I'm not saying Fancie have deliberately run up debts and gone insolvent in an effort to escape paying their dues, but in theory the new Ltd Co. could be asked for money up front just in case they go insolvent again.

It's a relatively new thing brought in to try and combat Phoenixism.

I wonder if it would prevent Nonnas doing it again, they've gone into administration twice now, with under the same owners. Soon be about time for them to pull the stunt again.

I wonder if it would prevent Nonnas doing it again, they've gone into administration twice now, with under the same owners. Soon be about time for them to pull the stunt again.

I didn't know that Nonna's has gone into administration once, let alone twice.

I've never been in, looks a bit too pricey for me. But on the odd occasion I go up that part of Sheffield, it's always looked busy.

If they do go under whilst owing money I'm suprised that the authorities can't get the money from them to pay their old suppliers when they start up again....Hey ho there must be a reason

Interesting comments about HMRC asking for payment on account from pre-pack pheonix businesses to avoid being stung in the future. Similarly, the moral of the story for local suppliers must be to ask for payment up front before they supply goods and/or services. The problem of course is spotting such businesses before they do it the first time. Especially those that seem so good at generating positive PR spin and hype.

Er... since all matter is made up of 'chemicals', yes, I think I probably could actually.

If you are going to charge £2.50 for 1 single cupcake then you deserve to go under :loopy:

Unlike you, you dont deserve anything.

Er... since all matter is made up of 'chemicals', yes, I think I probably could actually.

I think we know what dan was getting at with this - suggesting that the cakes are coloured with synthetic materials as opposed to natural colours. And I'm not saying he isn't right (although not all of Fancie's cakes are coloured of course and they're certainly no worse than things you'd find in most cake shops/supermarkets), I just wanted to know if he could prove it. People are so fond of throwing accusations at people, often with no evidence to back it up.

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 00:08 ----------

The commonly used dyes are made from aniline, with either petroleum or coal tar. Yum :gag:

Interesting. I looked this up and it seems that my hugely expensive set of food dyes also contain some of this stuff. Still, as it takes a dot on the end of a cocktail stick to colour enough icing for 2 dozen cakes, I won't worry too much!

Edited by irenewilde

Well at least they gave it a go.

Sometimes you have to expand quickly because the market is right and the window of opportunity is very small.

Im sure they'll be fine after a bit of refinancing. Credit to Sheffield's entrepreneurism.