Fancie in Liquidation?

You know that this area is the only one that calls cakes buns, right? In most places a bun refers to bread.

It's a bun down south. Or a fairy cake.

Fairy cake yes, bun no. A bun down south is bread. It can be a sticky bun, ie bread with icing on or the like, but it does not refer to sponge type cakes at all.

Who cares about southerners?

The Star describes 'Fancie' as one of the citys' biggest brands!!!

It is either a very sad day for Sheffield when a cake business with a few shops is given such exalted status or it is a shoddy piece of journalism by the Johnson Press.

It's an 'empire' apparently (or was). Shows the Sheffield small-town mentality (the headline, not the business)

Bloody horrible cupcakes. My work buys them for everyone after a busy period and they're yucky! Rather them give me half the cash that they paid Fancie and I'd make them twice as nice.

Too expensive, cheap product. No surprise.

Cupcake ?

why do we have to use an American term for a bun ?

Cupcake is used because its a small cake? Its made with cake batter and frosted?

To me, a fairy cake are those teeny crumbly cakes with that nasty water icing and are served at childrens birthdays.

While a cupcake is made up of moist cake with thick frosting.

I'm not a fan of Fancie, as I prefer my own, but its still sad to see a local business run into trouble

Spare a thought for the other local businesses and suppliers who won't have been paid, but presumably supplied goods and services to Fancie in good faith. I hope none of them lose staff or go under as a result of not being paid. :( If the debts Fancie have walked away from amount to £189K, as reported in The Star, then those debts can't have accrued overnight. I wonder how many suppliers were asked to supply even when Fancie knew they were unable to pay them? It seems grossly unfair that directors can do a pre-pack deal behind closed doors, sell the assets to a new company, switch company names, walk away from their debts and then carry on as if nothing had happened. They don't even have to change the signage on the shop front - how very convenient :mad:

She probably took her example from another well known eaterie in the area. It's exactly the same as they did, went bankrupt bilking their creditors, owing us all in the shape of unpaid tax, changed the directors and hey ho, business as usual.

It's a disgrace.

Well i dont suppose you can blame her she is a pastry cook not a business woman, if anyone is to blame its the parasitic bean counters and the equally inept business advisers who wanted their pounds too soon.

Seriously, £2.50 for 1 single bun, the owners want locking up for that.

Cupcake ?

why do we have to use an American term for a bun ?

In England they are called fairy cakes.

And they usually have a lot less disgusting chemically play-dough coloured die on them.