Open up the junction at Hollins Lane/Rivelin Valley rd?

Your claim of being able to travel across the city in 15 minutes, what year was that? 1960? 1970? it'd be virtually impossible unless there were no cars on the road or you were speeding.

Also, what has this got to do with the junction at Hollins lane?

if all available routes were open to traffic, bottlenecks like hollins lane junction wouldn't be stuffed with traffic, because most of the traffic would be on another road, and actually moving.

1997or8: lower wincobank to crosspool, 7am-ish weekend. admittedly, there was little traffic and only had to stop for traffic lights two or three times. the point is, the route i took back then had roads without bollards across them, and 'derek dooley way' was just his method of doing something.

It won't make any difference because generally speaking traffic expands to fill the available roads. Referring back in time is of little use.

People spent a couple of years queuing up and down the M 1 north of the A52 whilst it was altered to four lanes. Did it ease the congestion at busy times. Errr.....no.

It won't make any difference because generally speaking traffic expands to fill the available roads. Referring back in time is of little use.

People spent a couple of years queuing up and down the M 1 north of the A52 whilst it was altered to four lanes. Did it ease the congestion at busy times. Errr.....no.

yep, exactly that. the traffic has been contracted onto fewer roads, it hasn't expanded anywhere.

how long before the council 'solves' the hollins lane problem with some bollards?

"open up"? Demolish and put in concrete monstrosity I think you are saying. I like the bridge, and would not choose to drive over it unless necessary, as it is narrow and so a bit of a rat run. We use the one way system. As a pedestrian using the footpaths near that bridge, I have noticed that many drivers using the bridge don't look around them and their hazard perception abilities are very poor. That is why there are accidents there.

I guess the simplest solution would be to add another single carriage way bridge making each one way, build the pavement out a bit to allow better visibility and install a roundabout to deal with the complicated junction arrangement. Won't happen though.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I seem to remember years ago that Hollins Lane bridge WAS only one-way? - could be wrong! If this was so, I presume the experiment failed and that's the reason it returned to its present two-way system. Be interested to see if my memory serves me right anyone??!

I'm still keen on this idea, I think it needs to be done.

I tend to agree something needs to be done however due to the lack of accidents (thankfully),the multiple options available for crossing the road and because of the listed bridge then its always going to be a no no anyway.

I tend to agree something needs to be done however due to the lack of accidents (thankfully),the multiple options available for crossing the road and because of the listed bridge then its always going to be a no no anyway.

Build over and around the current bridge then if its listed as you say.

Its a farce that junction at busy times and its so easily remedied.

The other issue that we have with the bridge is the build up of traffic here,as with all rush hour times there is and always will be loads of traffic heading in the same direction to get from A to B.You just need to look at Penistone Road,Derek Dooley Way etc etc.I suppose we just have to be thankful that if we do get fed up of waiting then we can always have a swift one at the Holly-Bush!.