Unemployed man turns down job because of baker's hat

(rotting corpses, masturbating women and people threatening me with a knife)

Sounds like a late-night Hollyoaks.

The interview was without doubt funny and Paul was an unusual individual, but as the interviewer pointed out there are plenty of other people to take those jobs on offer; I know we are supposed to be appalled at the guys attitude but it seems to me that there simply aren't enough jobs to go around at the moment and if it isn't him claiming benefits it'll be someone else.

Also, with the cost of housing as it is, I wonder if he's not that bothered about a job that probably isn't going to improve his lot enough for him to give a damn about it.

I would like to see a follow-up story once in a while, where the Job Centre actually did their job for once, tracked this person down and cut off all his benefits.

People would know these pathetic excuses wouldn't cut it if there were actually repercussions, but there never are so why even bother?

its people like this that give genuine people who are out of work due to redundancy a bad name and need a helping hand for only a short while, it makes us all judgmental on the ones that do need assistance

shame its come to this

That is an excellent way to earn money; I did that in my student days, at the faculty of psychology. They stuck my head full of electrodes, showed me alternating images (rotting corpses, masturbating women and people threatening me with a knife), and monitored my brain activity. Or I was put in a CAT scanner and had to press buttons. I got 15 euros an hour for it at the time. Can strongly recommend it.

West St Saturday night ?

If he refuses to work because he won't wear a hat and won't call customers 'Sir' or 'Madam' why not put him on a lower (survival level) rate of benefits?

I appreciate that benefits - in most cases - don't allow the claimants to enjoy a 'life of luxury' , but in most cases, they're a long way above survival level, too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10132688/Audio-unemployed-man-rejects-job-because-of-bakers-hat.html?placement=mid3#disqus_thread

Ridiculous, but not surprising at all. When are we going to crack down on benefit claimants that refuse to work?

if he turned down the job for this reason, his benefits will be stopped for a period of time anyway, so I thought.

I think what's particularly awful is that while clearly turning down a job for having to wearing a baker's hat is wrong; I just get the sense that the outrage heaped on cases like this will overwhelm the shocking fact that after being told they failed the ATOS Work Capability Assessment hundreds if not thousands of disabled people are now dead as a consequence. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/17/atos-attack-emotional-commons-debate)

If he refuses to work because he won't wear a hat and won't call customers 'Sir' or 'Madam' why not put him on a lower (survival level) rate of benefits?

I appreciate that benefits - in most cases - don't allow the claimants to enjoy a 'life of luxury' , but in most cases, they're a long way above survival level, too.

Standard JSA is really not much more than survival levels to be honest, but choosing JSA over a paying job when a paying job is available and there's no reason why you aren't capable of doing it shows that the recipient has way too much attachment to their benefits and should be reminded that the benefits are not a lifestyle choice.

It has to be said that I'm not sure that I'd want anybody who had that sort of attitude problem and who clearly didn't want to be there serving me in a shop, but it does sound like he's capable of doing the job if he wants to apply himself and do it properly.

People aren't just on JSA normally tho.

There's housing benefit, council tax benefit, there's help with the bills, there's loads of child benefit, you can con disability benefit without much trouble etc etc etc

why allow him any benefits at all???? anyone unemployed that is offered a job no matter what it is they should have to take it and in the meantime they can still apply for what they really want and think they are worth, dont take the job -no benefits...nothing:mad:

People aren't just on JSA normally tho.

There's housing benefit, council tax benefit, there's help with the bills, there's loads of child benefit, you can con disability benefit without much trouble etc etc etc

Help with the bills? New one on me as is this loads of child benefit.

I think you need to keep up, things have moved on since you scammed the system. Did you not read the Guardian article I linked a few posts back???

People who are genuinely disabled are dropping down dead in significant numbers shortly after the having their Work Capability Assessment and then refused.

One even dropped down dead in front of the judging panel!!!!