Your first sheffield job

Do you recall a rep named Fred Norton who worked for Burdalls during the late 50's early 60's?

Sorry no, we were not allowed to wander about much and I was only just 15, straight from school and quite shy. I only stayed at Burdalls for 9 months as I had been trained as a secretary at school, so looked for a secretarial job as my dad had returned to work. I had taken the Burdalls job as it paid higher than secretarial jobs, because my family needed the money as dad had been off work for 2 years. My pay packet was given unopened to my mum each week and remained so until I was nearly 19 (I got 10 shillings for lunch, clothes and going out. I wonder how many today would do the same?

my first job was at carters on Attercliffe (little liver pills) I was 14 it was in 1945, my wage was14 shillings and a penny today's equivalent 71 pence that was 8 to 5 Monday to Friday packing gravy salt

Sorry no, we were not allowed to wander about much and I was only just 15, straight from school and quite shy. I only stayed at Burdalls for 9 months as I had been trained as a secretary at school, so looked for a secretarial job as my dad had returned to work. I had taken the Burdalls job as it paid higher than secretarial jobs, because my family needed the money as dad had been off work for 2 years. My pay packet was given unopened to my mum each week and remained so until I was nearly 19 (I got 10 shillings for lunch, clothes and going out. I wonder how many today would do the same?

Thanks for that. I opened my first pay packet (1965) to purchase a bunch of flowers for my mum as I walked down to Pond Street to catch the 34 bus home.

May 1970 aged 15, Houlder bros Shipping and Export company on Norfolk row(above Ideal salons) Sheffield.I earned £5 per week as typist/telex operator plus a 15p per day luncheon voucher and had an hour and a half dinner,on Wed (I think) I would go to the Top Rank on my lunch and have a dance and a non alchoholic drink with my mates and then back to work.

bk morton office junior at age 15...27/6 per week......1952.

anyone on here started before the war. Arfer mo

my first job was at carters on Attercliffe (little liver pills) I was 14 it was in 1945, my wage was14 shillings and a penny today's equivalent 71 pence that was 8 to 5 Monday to Friday packing gravy salt

I remember hearing a story about a guy who took Carters Little Liver Pills all his life, and he lived to a hundred and one. When he died they had to beat his liver to death with a stick.

Delivering Betterware catalogues on foot at the age of 16. I was given just one road to cover and then told to avoid half the houses on it. I delivered them and then returned a few days later and worked out that my time and effort had made me a grand total of £4. I quit the next day and they still owe me £4.

my first was at timpsons barkers pool in july 1974,went for my interveiw dressed in totone trousers.ben serman shirt,black brogues + black cromby and hair down to my shoulders my then to be boss said if you nip up stairs to sweenys(interveiw was at timpsons at haymarket)they would pay 4 hair cut the job was mine..Iend up a manager and worked for them till mid 80s :cool:

A student nurse in 1978, where I started work at The Royal Hospital. My first pay was just over £70.

Other placements were at Fulwood annexe (twice), Thornbury Annexe, then to the newly opened Royal Hallamshire, and then Nether Edge.

Edited by Ms-Shapes