Your first sheffield job

Bank messenger, 19 October 1970, Midland Bank (Market Place branch); £13.7s.0d a week. The building is now a pub - a distinct improvement..:)

firth brown tools 16th april 1960 £2. 12. 6d 48 hr week.good cooked dinner 1/6d.hard long days quite a shock after school

June 1948, John I Fearn, Agricultural Engineers, shop lad. Sorting out sile pads, plough shares, selling in the shop. After that it was all downhill.

I need to move back to Hong Kong soon, with a full container load of household effect. Does anyone know of a good international removalist? Thanks in advance for your help!

Er whats that got to do with your first job? :huh::confused:

---------- Post added 20-06-2013 at 20:14 ----------

Walsh's dept store, radio & tv dept 1974, 10 quid a week.

Oh i'm so bad, trying to improve but not doing to good a job:P:P:P

I will teach you chick hehehehehe

I was a shop assistant at Butlin`s during the summer then went to uni, the huntsman pub

Edited by sand_dollars

1957,SCPWD Worthing Road depot.Apprentice plumber. 46 1/2 hour week. 2pound 10 shillings.

My first job when I moved to Sheffield over 20 years ago was running a certain "private" shop on Division St...wages were not much, but I learnt a few things :heyhey:

BK Morton office junior at age 15...27/6 per week......1952.

Left School at 1957 (aged 17) summer term end, and after holiday started as trainee accountant/auditor at Hubert Smith and Company, Campo Lane - Monday to Friday 9-00am to 5-30pm and Saturday 9-00am to 12-30pm - British Pounds - 2-10 per week - less bus fares from Swallownest to Pond Street and back each working day. Bored stiff working with what were then "old men" (I was 17 at the time). So I got a job in Production Control at J.Stead and Company Tool Division, Manor Lane - end of Cricket Inn Road. At that time, aged 19 wages were British Pounds 7-10 per week. Then the working week hours dropped to 40. Moved onto better things in January 1963 at starting wage of British Pounds 22-25 per week plus a good car allowance and company paid 2 bedroom flat in residential area of Oldham. Left Swallownest in 1966 for Driffield, East Yorkshire, the moved business's to Malaysia 2006

Still go to my office and also factory 6 days a week at age 73 now - bugger retirement - it would be so damn boring

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Selangor D.E. - Malaysia

5 Sept 1960 started at English Steel as Research trainee at £2 - 17s-6d !

Paper round in Hillsborough 1981 aged 13 £2.25 a week for 6 evenings and an extra 50p for turning up in a morning just in case the morning deliveries weren't covered! Also worked in paper shop Sundays 6-10am for an extra £2.00 and my mum brought me a cooked breakfast in on a plate half way through. When I was at college 1984 -1986, worked at K Shoes on Pinstone Street on Saturdays for £9.25 a day plus commission (but never got much as most senior staff served first so I was bottom of the pile).:D

Left in 84 and straight on power stations at Immingham and Kent. £500 a week.