Lawnmower service & repairs

I'm thinking of starting repairing & servicing petrol lawnmowers & other garden tools from my garage.

Does anyone think its worth while.

I'd like plenty of feedback.

can you beat 8 quid to sharpen a chainsaw

The roundfile/flatfile/raker depth gauge are less than £8 all in, plus you can use them time and time again.

just basic servicing/ repairs to start, with no overheads etc to pay for means cheaper servicing etc.

just basic servicing/ repairs to start, with no overheads etc to pay for means cheaper servicing etc.

Go for it,dont think theres that much competition.

just wondering about the best way to start advertising,getting customers etc.

What manufacturers have you worked for and will you be using OEM parts would be a couple of questions I'd be asking.

andygardener, where would i get the stuff to sharpen my own saw? and is there any decent instructions to follow? with a file i am sure its as easy to blunt something as it is to sharpen it

andygardener, where would i get the stuff to sharpen my own saw? and is there any decent instructions to follow? with a file i am sure its as easy to blunt something as it is to sharpen it

Gunsons sell all the relevant bits, if you let me know what saw / sawchain is it I can tell you what size round file you need to get or just take the chain/saw with chain on and they'll be able to ID it. All the fancy gizmos that are out there I've found to be a waste of time and money, all you are doing if pushing the round file at an angle between (generally) 30 and 35 degrees over each tooth face 3 to 4 times. If you've done it wrong it will be obvious as the tooth won't be nice and shiny and sharp at its face. Then periodically you need to lower the rakers/depth limmiters at the front of each tooth which is dead easy, just stick the depth gauge over the raker and use the flat file the file it down to the depth the gauge allows.

There's loads of vids on youtube, if you're struggling drop me a pm and I can drop by one weekend (we're at loxley so I'm past walkley a fair bit) and show you. It does sound complicated but it's actually dead easy when you've done it a few times.

Andy, if your serious about showing me how to sharpen a chain i am up for that. (will buy you a pint as a thanks)

I'll be done on saturday at 6ish, sunday I'm having an afternoon off so either is fine, if you can get the right round file/flat file/ depth gauge for your saw from gunsons then just give me a shout (mobiles on the sig link, leave a message if it goes to VM and I'll pop round sat or sun).

Cheers

Andy