Wentworth Woodhouse

Thought it was heavy going at times TBH,i believe its hardly an accurate book.

Not accurate ?? Catherine Bailey is/was a BBC researcher. I have known the house and area for 50 years or more and her account is accurate AND interesting.

Its history you can see, however I do find £25 a bit steep, that's £50 for the two of us.

There are local folk who challenge the accuracy of Black Diamonds, who knows the real truth? We all have our own versions of the truth.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story I was once told.[/QUOTE]

Yep,i think thats the case here.:)

i believe its hardly an accurate book.

Can you give us more information on why you believe it to be inaccurate? I understood that it was meticulously researched. A great deal of important documentation was destroyed which is such a shame as it would have increased our understanding of the house, family and society.

Not accurate ?? Catherine Bailey is/was a BBC researcher. I have known the house and area for 50 years or more and her account is accurate AND interesting.

Its history you can see, however I do find £25 a bit steep, that's £50 for the two of us.

Yes so have i.Interesting yes,accurate no.

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 20:55 ----------

Can you give us more information on why you believe it to be inaccurate? I understood that it was meticulously researched. A great deal of important documentation was destroyed which is such a shame as it would have increased our understanding of the house, family and society.

Think thats part of the reason.[16 tons of documentation relating to the 7th,8th and 9th earl is gunna affect your research]

Edited by Gazza58

Never been to the house, but it's a lovely walk through the park down to the lakes. From the car park in Wentworth through the park and back again is near enough 5 miles. I'd recommend it on a nice sunny day.

Regards

Doom

we did the tour last year when they first started, and although a little empty and barren inside, the potential is huge for the house, its history is interesting and it is a lovely house. Having read black diamonds it was good to get to see the house from the inside and imagine how it was back in the day

It's great that it's open and to be able to see inside, BUT it is very expensive for what you get to see - £15 for one hour and not many rooms is a lot compared to other houses. You have to do the tour with a guide which is informative but you don't get long to look around each room. They're a bit hit and miss with the organisation of everything - they've got the website, social media, etc and they're not using any of them well - you end up having to ring up to book tickets then having to drive out to the house to collect them.

It's probably worth it for a nose once, before it gets turned into a hotel and museum, but I'm not sure I'd rush back at that price.

Ooh I've been looking forward to getting inside this place. According to their website the 1 hour tour is £10 which doesn't seem extortionate to me.

Think thats part of the reason.

What's the other part?

Can anyone tell me please if Wentworth Woodhouse is open as a wedding venue.

I have found afew links on the web however i did not think Wentworth Woodhouse could be used as a venue.

Can anyone tell me please if Wentworth Woodhouse is open as a wedding venue.

I have found afew links on the web however i did not think Wentworth Woodhouse could be used as a venue.

Why not phone them or email them, the contact details are here.

http://www.wentworthwoodhouse.co.uk/contact-us?1subject=House+tour+enquiry

Anyone know what is being filmed at Wentworth Woodhouse today? Film crews and TV support unit there when we walked through the park today.