Wentworth Woodhouse

Clifford Newbold, millionaire owner of Wentworth Woodhouse, has finally revealed his hand after 10years and announced that he and his family are ready to begin extensive renovations of this impressive stately pile into a grand 70 bed hotel, spa, conference centre, offices and museum.

He hopes to create 1,500 jobs.

The delay has been due to lengthy negotiations with the coal board who have undermined the foundations with mine workings. He's been trying to get them to pay for the repair work necessary.

Anyone who's never seen this amazing place should pay it a visit. With the pretty village and huge garden centre, it's going to be fantastic, and a real draw to North Sheffield. I would imagine it would make a great location for period dramas and films too, in fact the whole story of the rise and fall of the Fitzwilliam family would make a great film in itself.

You can read the story in 'Black Diamonds' by Catherine Bailey.

Clifford Newbold, millionaire owner of Wentworth Woodhouse, has finally revealed his hand after 10years and announced that he and his family are ready to begin extensive renovations of this impressive stately pile into a grand 70 bed hotel, spa, conference centre, offices and museum.

The delay has been due to lengthy negotiations with the coal board who have undermined the foundations with mine workings. He's been trying to get them to pay for the repair work necessary.

Anyone who's never seen this amazing place should pay it a visit. With the pretty village and huge garden centre, it's going to be fantastic, and a real draw to North Sheffield. I would imagine it would make a great location for period dramas and films too, in fact the whole story of the rise and fall of the Fitzwilliam family would make a great film in itself.

I agree with you its a beautiful place and in a nice village - although can be a bit snooty at times.

Fantastic news about the spa etc....:-)

For anyone interested Wentworth Woodhouse is the subject of "The Country House Revealed" on BBC 2, May 31st at 9-00pm

For anyone interested Wentworth Woodhouse is the subject of "The Country House Revealed" on BBC 2, May 31st at 9-00pm

Thanks for the heads up. We went for a walk past the house last week and were speculating about which bits were actually lived in. It's a very impressive building and the village is beautiful, a hotel could work there and it would be good to see it refurbished and brought back to life.

Thanks for the BCC info, I can't wait to watch it. But... I really want to have a sneeky peek now! Any ideas?

I think this is great news for the whole area, the employment this could bring with tourists etc could upgrade South Yorkshire no end. Good luck Clifford Newbold.

I agree with you its a beautiful place and in a nice village - although can be a bit snooty at times.

Fantastic news about the spa etc....:-)

Try visiting it without wearing a replica blades shirt and constantly picking your nose. :rolleyes:

I've read the book Black Diamonds which is brilliant, walked round the house and grounds hundreds of times and now can't wait to see if I will be able to afford a couple of nights at the hotel and spa - perhaps if I start saving now I'll have enough by 2015!

It does help, and dont spit.

Try visiting it without wearing a replica blades shirt and constantly picking your nose. :rolleyes:

The exerpt from Black Diamonds shown on the web certainly makes interesting reading. Will have to try and pick up a copy. It would make a good basis for one of the BBC's mini drama series. Certainly shows the extremes of life and politics.

Thanks for the BCC info, I can't wait to watch it. But... I really want to have a sneeky peek now! Any ideas?

You could always ask if they are setting up a 'Friends of Wentworth Woodhouse' group, to help with the house.

The exerpt from Black Diamonds shown on the web certainly makes interesting reading. Will have to try and pick up a copy. It would make a good basis for one of the BBC's mini drama series. Certainly shows the extremes of life and politics.

That's just what I thought.