Private Landlords increase Employment

Singapore unemployment is 1.9%, home ownership is 90.1%

Russia unemployment is 6.4% home ownership is 84.7%

Mexico unemployment is 5.12% home ownership is 84%

Norway unemployment is 3.0% home ownership is 77%

Brazil unemployment is 4.7% home ownership is 74%

United Kingdom unemployment 7.9% home ownership is 69%

I would suggest the UK is more like Germany than Singapore or Brazil. We can all pick the countries that back up our point of view. ;) For instance:

Countries like Spain and Greece famously have high home-ownership (80%+) and high unemployment (20%+), while nations like Switzerland, Germany and Austria are notably low on both.

Here's the link http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130507060845.htm

The study looks at the link between home ownership levels and unemployment across the USA.

Rises in home ownership in a US state are followed by substantial increases in the unemployment rate in the state, a fall in the mobility of its workers, a rise in commuting times, and a drop in the rate of new business formation.

Worth a read?

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Come on chem. give us your take on this.

With slavery we can have full employment.

Full employment for the sake of full employment ain't desirable.

With slavery we can have full employment.

Full employment for the sake of full employment ain't desirable.

I'm dissapointed.

1 out of ten for effort chem.

Thread title is "Private Landlords increase Employment".

Have a think about it (stop if it starts to hurt).

Clearly you don't understand the figures either, or your drawing the same incorrect conclusion :roll:

Have another look and get back to us on it, because those figures posted indicate there is no correlation between unemployment and home ownership.

Here's the link http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130507060845.htm

The study looks at the link between home ownership levels and unemployment across the USA.

Rises in home ownership in a US state are followed by substantial increases in the unemployment rate in the state, a fall in the mobility of its workers, a rise in commuting times, and a drop in the rate of new business formation.

Worth a read?

Not really, because it's an American study and what is true for them does not translate fully over here.

they have different laws, different building regulations, different land and property prices, different wage expectations, different taxes, different living costs etc etc etc.

Edited by geared

Clearly you don't understand the figures either, or your drawing the same incorrect conclusion :roll:

Have another look and get back to us on it, because those figures posted indicate there is no correlation between unemployment and home ownership.

Not really, because it's an American study and what is true for them does not translate fully over here.

they have different laws, different building regulations, different land and property prices, different wage expectations, different taxes, different living costs etc etc etc.

It's actually a study carried out by academics at Warwick university. It also includes this information about European countries: Countries like Spain and Greece famously have high home-ownership (80%+) and high unemployment (20%+), while nations like Switzerland, Germany and Austria are notably low on both. (Apologies for quoting this again)

I'm no academic but I still think there are more similarities between the UK and the USA and Germany than there are between the UK and Brazil or Singapore, which were given as earlier examples of high home ownership/low unemployment.

That's the conclusion I came to.

---------- Post added 20-06-2013 at 14:00 ----------

It's actually a study carried out by academics at Warwick university. It also includes this information about European countries: Countries like Spain and Greece famously have high home-ownership (80%+) and high unemployment (20%+), while nations like Switzerland, Germany and Austria are notably low on both. (Apologies for quoting this again)

I'm no academic but I still think there are more similarities between the UK and the USA and Germany than there are between the UK and Brazil or Singapore, which were given as earlier examples of high home ownership/low unemployment.

I also gave figures for Norway and Russia, both with lower unemployment and higher home ownership.

In Germany don't extended families tend to live together and aren't their tenancy laws much better for the tenant than UK tenancy laws, which would make Germany also poor comparison.

Isn't there a weird 100 year lease thing in Germany as well?

German tax laws used to encourage the construction of homes with an apartment for parent(s), but AFAIK, that has been changed.

There is a fair bit of difference between 'low home ownership rates' (which Germany has) and 'No home ownership'. The people who live in houses with Granny flats tend to own them.

Having said that, the house across the road from mine has a cellar and 3 floors above it. The top floor is a holiday apartment, the cellar goes with the two floors below, which are rented by a family with children (upper floor) and the grandparents (grandma is in a wheelchair) ground floor.

German rental law is indeed better for tenants than that in the UK. - But it's better for landlords, too.

I rented a house to a man in the UK. He 'did a runner', having caused a fair bit of damage and owing me a lot of rent. The Police weren't interested (and I was told that if I went after him and 'persuaded' him to pay me, I would end up in trouble.)

If a tenant pulled that trick in Germany, then unless he left the country and didn't return, the State would track him down and prosecute him.

The prices and standards of rental housing are quite strictly controlled in Germany - but the controls work both ways.

I wouldn't consider renting out a house in the UK (if I couldn't monitor the rental in person) but I would have no qualms in renting out a property in Germany.

I'm dissapointed.

1 out of ten for effort chem.

I'm not fussed about putting much effort into posts anymore, waste of time really.

This is no place for debate, it ain't a forum like it once was, it is an online version of the admag.

Maybe you need another break mate?

Come back invigorated and full of fight.

Private landlords supply accommodation which would otherwise be too expensive . And now, with the Fair Rents Act, they should be encouraged.