Cannot get care home volunteer work..

After much trying, I'm struggling to gain experience in care homes, this however is needed to get on to my desired university course and I need experience around caring for patients and the elderly to get onto the course,

I have some experience, but this won't be enough..

does anyone know what direction to point me in??

I've phoned around, but despite having a clear CRB,past care experience and working towards the Health and social A level as well as three other courses, no where seems to want to take me on, the other probem is, time is running out as I'm planning to apply to Uni by this January..

Please help..

Have you tried Help the Aged? they are often begging for volunteers and the only hold up is the CRB check but you have that, they offer a befriending service for people who can't get out much would that do? or how about volunteering at a lunch club?

What reasons do they give for not wanting to take you on.

''We have enough volunteers''

''Thank you but we'd like volunteers to work nights''( Only 17 so can't do that)

''Thanks, we'll call you back''

''Thanks but we're fully staffed''

The problem with the lunch club is my college hours don't work around that, i'm at college five days and then the hours are too close to lunch time so i'd never get too and from the lunch club in time..

They also ask for staff to be able to drive, something else it's financially difficult to do right now..

''We have enough volunteers''

''Thank you but we'd like volunteers to work nights''( Only 17 so can't do that)

''Thanks, we'll call you back''

''Thanks but we're fully staffed''

The problem with the lunch club is my college hours don't work around that, i'm at college five days and then the hours are too close to lunch time so i'd never get too and from the lunch club in time..

They also ask for staff to be able to drive, something else it's financially difficult to do right now..

Have you been to old peoples homes and volunteered? you won't be able to do anything remotely to do with their personal care but perhaps things like chatting, organizing activities and making drinks, which are things that sadly the staff often have little time to do, all of those things are a support to the staff and often the residents love to see a fresh face and especially a young person.

When I did care work young people were welcomed to do this sort of thing :)

I've had work experience with personal care in the Northern General,

might have been for two weeks but i'd learnt alot..but yes there is alot I can't do,

but I can assist care assistants.

I've rang up nursing homes most telling me the same thing..

I've had work experience with personal care in the Northern General,

might have been for two weeks but i'd learnt alot..but yes there is alot I can't do,

but I can assist care assistants.

I've rang up nursing homes most telling me the same thing..

Ah I see, I don't know then, all I can say is to persevere, I'm sure that there will be a place pleased to have you :)

You need to set out in a letter addressed to a specific manager of a specific care home exactly what you are doing, what you want from then and what you have to offer.

A phone call doesn't really show much effort on your part. You could even hand deliver the letter and ask to speak to the manager of the care home(s) you approach.

There is a lot of competition for work around these days and therefore to stand out you have to make yourself stand out.

If you draft a letter and email it over to me I can read it for you and make some suggestions as to how to improve it.

Research the care homes you approach beforehand and tailor each letter to the home.

Thats my advice!

If you want my help with your letter PM me.

Hi I work at a Nursing home in Whirlow, we take in quite a lot of volunteers, if you pm me, I will tell you which Nursing home it is. Have you tried St Lukes' hospice?

Have you contacted Voluntary Action Sheffield for some advice and opportunities they may have or an help you get?

Which area are you in?

I'm in S12 and we have a few care homes nearby.

If there's some near you then they might appreciate your voluntary assistance.

It really is a difficult one if you don't have the experience.