Can't access Play Station through Wi Fi

My son and daughter haven't been able to access their play stations through our BT Broadband Wi Fi, the wi fi is okay on lap tops and phones etc, but nothing for the play stations Does anyone know what this problem could be, is it the BT Broadband, or the play station network?

Hope someone can point us in the right direction

I don't fancy contacting BT and being on hold and moved from one department to another (BT are a nightmare )

Did it work previously on their PS3s and then stopped working or has it never worked?

It has previously worked no problem, just the last two days it has stopped. He can access it through his iphone which is linked to our wifi, so it seems to me that it is the play stations, but its strange that my daughters won't work either.

That is very strange that its all of a sudden stopped working :/ have you done all the basics like re-setting your bt router?

have you tried connecting an ethernet cable? see if it works on cable and if it does then the wifi is an issue.

if so try putting the ps3 in a DMZ. you can google this to find out how to do it.

the ps3 is very funny with wifi on certain broadband companies.

with my old ps3 i could never play gran turismo 5 over wifi on virgin media whilst signed into PSN because the game would just freeze but as soon as i disconnected PSN the game loaded up straight away and as soon as i connected again it would freeze back up.

i always use wired connection now on all my devices.

We have reset router many times Dominoes, but still nothing.

I will show him your reply PlayStation when he comes home from work, thank you for your help.

PS3 wifi is a bag of crap IMO.

It's always really slow, the connection is usually crap.

I expect the Ariel is pretty poor on it, so you might wanna check the PS3 isn't buried under aload of junk so it can get some signal.

PS3 wifi is a bag of crap IMO.

It's always really slow, the connection is usually crap.

I expect the Ariel is pretty poor on it, so you might wanna check the PS3 isn't buried under aload of junk so it can get some signal.

I had mine about 2ft from the superhub and still didn't work :hihi:

The PS3 relies on an obsolete wireless standard called wireless 'g'

If your router is set to 'n only' then it won't be able to connect. Speak to your ISP and they should walk you through how to change it if necessary.

Also, if you're really unhappy with BT's customer service to the point where you don't want to call them, consider a local fibre supplier such as Origin :)

Thanks for all your replies. The PS has worked fine on our wi fi for the last three years, so no problem with connections or aerials and such like.

He can access his PS through his iphone which seems strange as that works on our wi fi, but it uses up all his data allowance, so it looks like we may have to phone BT afterall.

---------- Post added 20-06-2013 at 18:19 ----------

Well for some reason it has just started working again, he came home from work, and turned it on and it has started working. So don't know what the problem was but fingers crossed it is okay now.

Thanks for all the help.