How councils waste your money

Tonight on dispatches-Chan 4, 8pm and later on channel 4+1, 9pm

Quote: Dispatches reveals some spending that local authorities across the UK wished you didn't know about, from expensive cars to foreign trips and from five-star hotels to golf lessons. Quote.

Can't see anything being said that most of us don't already know. Councils are out of control, and do not give two hoots about the people that pay their wages.

Can't see anything being said that most of us don't already know. Councils are out of control, and do not give two hoots about the people that pay their wages.

Me neither, councils use our money like toilet paper, they flush great wads of it down the carsy.

taking after the gov what do you expect :huh:

Who audits councils, or council departments?

Is there an independent auditor or published accounts that can be made public and threaten a council's future if they are found to be wasting money?

We all know it's a problem, so how can it be solved?

They waste money, sending people threatening letters demanding more Council Tax and try and justify forcing more money out of people. What makes me laugh is everybody including the Councils turn a blind eye to Travellers or Gypsies or whatever they call themselves living off other people's land and not paying, yet if we refused to pay our Council Tax we would go to Prison for it, and have Bailiffs knocking our doors down just laughable another reason to leave this god awful Country we call home. I watched Big Fat Gypsy Weddings and they just move them on, how about saying if you want to live on land pay your Tax like us Gorja's do or Country people as they call us I have nothing against Travellers but everybody should pay their way. :(

Edited by TartyDoris44
To Add More Info In, Correct Spelling.

They're all taking the p, nothing like rubbing the peoples nose in it. Even the most deprived areas are seeing their greedy councillors taking chauffeur driven cars for 3min journeys round the corner to the local mosque or eating in celebrity restaurants. When will it all end I wonder. Then they have the cheek to bill us for more council tax.

I went through the breakdown of services I use and I suspect that I actually use a quarter of what I pay for. The rest of it is an insurance policy which I have no choice but to pay.

It's a veritable bukkake party using my reluctantly parted with cash as a form of ejaculate - Let's build a gypsy support centre. Oh wait, they have.

Councils are out of control, and do not give two hoots about the people that pay their wages.

It is an inevitable consequence of Parkinson's Law: over time, any organisation accumulates inefficiency.

I think the best answer is to scrap it altogether and build a replacement from the ground up...

Probably not in that order.

Is there an independent auditor or published accounts that can be made public and threaten a council's future if they are found to be wasting money?

The accounts are available to the public, I think you need to go in and ask.

Perhaps we should find a cynical sod who is good with numbers and have a whip around to hire them for the task?

We all know it's a problem, so how can it be solved?

Can't quite remember where I read it but if I'm remembering right there used to be an independent body that audited councils which was disbanded in favour of internal auditing by the councils.

So in answer to your question, no-one.

Don't tell me, the programme was commission by the government in a vain attempt to persuade pubic opinion to accept these economically restrictive cuts?

Do you not think councils waste money, Mecky? Do you think the amount of council tax we pay is reasonable given the level of service we recieve?