Meadowhall Parking Question

Hi all! I'll be visiting Sheffield tomorrow and I'm curious about parking at Meadowhall.

What I am wondering is:

If you were to visit Sheffield from the M1 and want to park somewhere easy and free and take public transport (tram) in to the city centre - presumably you are supposed to park in the Meadowhall Interchange Park and Ride.

But, looking on maps; the Park and Ride parking looks pretty limited in terms of spaces.

Meadowhall advertise that they have 12,000 free parking spaces and have easy access to the trams, so I'm wondering if there would be any issues with parking in the actual Meadowhall shopping centre parking and taking the tram from there.

Would there be any issues with this?

Edited by tharrison481

No problem whatsoever.

I thought there was a time limit on parking at Meadowhall ?

Not that it really matters, as far as their toothless "parking tickets" go. :D

I thought there was a time limit on parking at Meadowhall ?

Not that it really matters, as far as their toothless "parking tickets" go. :D

From the information that I've managed to dig up it looks like there is a time limit for parking at Meadowhall retail park, but Meadowhall shopping centre is unlimited. However I might be wrong.

The thing is I could easily spend 3 hours shopping and then watch a 3 hour movie and then spend another hour or so having a meal, all within the shopping centre. How tight could a time limit be? My guess would be that you get a fine if you leave your car there over night, but it is unlimited during the shopping centre's opening hours.

You are not allowed to park at Meadowhall shopping centre and catch the tram into town. IF you are spotted doing this you risk receiving a fine through the post - but then most people will say these are unenforceable so you could get away with parking at Meadowhall

A 'safer' way of parking is to use one of the park and rides ie Centertainment (behind the Cinema) or go to J33 of M1 and follow the Parkway towards Sheffield and follow the Park & Ride signs

Hi all! I'll be visiting Sheffield tomorrow and I'm curious about parking at Meadowhall.

What I am wondering is:

If you were to visit Sheffield from the M1 and want to park somewhere easy and free and take public transport (tram) in to the city centre - presumably you are supposed to park in the Meadowhall Interchange Park and Ride.

But, looking on maps; the Park and Ride parking looks pretty limited in terms of spaces.

Meadowhall advertise that they have 12,000 free parking spaces and have easy access to the trams, so I'm wondering if there would be any issues with parking in the actual Meadowhall shopping centre parking and taking the tram from there.

Would there be any issues with this?

Are you visiting Sheffield city centre for enjoyment, or the more credible scenarios of either having a gun held to your left temple or being a location scout for a forthcoming film about the mundane life of Curiosity?

Are you visiting Sheffield city centre for enjoyment, or the more credible scenarios of either having a gun held to your left temple or being a location scout for a forthcoming film about the mundane life of Curiosity?

Haha. I am going shopping. I've been Meadowhall before but I've never been into the centre of Sheffield. I thought I would give it a go since the all day tram pass is only £4.30.

---------- Post added 16-06-2013 at 20:52 ----------

You are not allowed to park at Meadowhall shopping centre and catch the tram into town. IF you are spotted doing this you risk receiving a fine through the post - but then most people will say these are unenforceable so you could get away with parking at Meadowhall

A 'safer' way of parking is to use one of the park and rides ie Centertainment (behind the Cinema) or go to J33 of M1 and follow the Parkway towards Sheffield and follow the Park & Ride signs

Well I guess I will try to park in the Park and Ride if there are any spaces and if not I'll risk Meadowhall. To be fair I will be going through the shopping centre to get to the tram station so I cant see how anyone would know.

Prepare to be disappointed by the shopping in the city centre, a lot of the shops have closed over the last few years & we're still waiting for new developments to be finished (or started).

There is a Park & Ride on the Parkway.

It might be cheaper to park in the city centre, you're not going to want to spend more than a couple of hours shopping there.

Utter rubbish. How will they even realise this? Furthermore there are no notices in their car park indicating a time limit.

Last Thursday there were no spaces left in the P&R so went and parked near M&S and returned to my car the next day. No issue at all.

And please don't use the word "fine". It is a speculative invoice for parking.

I guess if you did this every day for months on end they might spot it, but as a one off I'd have thought you're pretty safe.

Utter rubbish. How will they even realise this? Furthermore there are no notices in their car park indicating a time limit.

Last Thursday there were no spaces left in the P&R so went and parked near M&S and returned to my car the next day. No issue at all.

And please don't use the word "fine". It is a speculative invoice for parking.

I always thought they locked the car park with barriers or something similar at nights? Wondering if it's a safe place to leave the car overnight - I've used NCP's before but this would be free at least.

I always thought they locked the car park with barriers or something similar at nights? Wondering if it's a safe place to leave the car overnight - I've used NCP's before but this would be free at least.

Given I wasn't back until 12 noon the next day, the fact they lock the car park is neither here nor there.