People newspaper making jokes about domestic violence

I think they should have been printed - she can now no longer hide the abuse she may have previously suffered. It also gives voice to the thousands who are abused and fail to speak out,largely because they don't have the apparent self esteem or fortitude of a woman like Nigella.

It should be down the abused person as to whether they wish to go public about their situation. Removing more choices is disempowering for someone who is already extremely disempowered and feels scared and vulnerable. It can also escalate the violence and abuse. If this was sprung upon her and she had no warning, was not prepared, that is despicable. I have no idea whether Lawson or Saatchi were given the right to reply before the photos were run, which as far as I am aware, is journalistic practice.

PS - I have worked with lots of different types of survivors of different types of abuse. Unless there is a child protection issue, a victim or survivor is never forced into a position like this. It is down to them to report to the police if they want, disclose to friends and family, leave etc. They are given as much support as is needed to empower them to make these kinds of decisions.

Edited by Suffragette1

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 14:14 ----------

Humiliation and to desire to humiliate, control and harm are all part of domestic violence and abuse.

---------- Post added 18-06-2013 at 11:19 ----------

Nonsense. If that is a playful tiff, I dread to think what a serious one looks like, chez-Saatchi. If he is behaving like this in public, what is going on behind closed doors? Furthermore, his caution is not consistent with his version of events.

I realise that and I agree, I hate bullies too but illness also could be part of this

one thing that has not been mentioned in this is Charles Saatchi's age. He is 70, when things like Alzheimers or dementia or Parkinson first start to show.I'm not defending what he's done, However, Nigella seems a compassionate woman,she nursed her first husband through a horrible illness. She is unlikely to stay with someone who abuses and humiliates her but equally unlikely to leave someone who needs her support. I myself have had difficulties with a close elderly relative who in his youth and middle age was the model of compassion and kindness (all the people who knew him say so) but for a while exhibited symptoms of extreme unkindness bordering on cruelty. He never physically harmed anyone but mental harm can be devastating as well. However, treatment by a really good gp after his family explained the situation has seen him revert back to his usual warm affectionate self. So even if it is Charles Saatchi whom alot of people hate for manoeuvring Thatcher into power, he still deserves a fair hearing and compassion if he is ill and Nigella is right to stand by him.

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 14:14 ----------

I realise that and I agree, I hate bullies too but illness also could be part of this

one thing that has not been mentioned in this is Charles Saatchi's age. He is 70, when things like Alzheimers or dementia or Parkinson first start to show.I'm not defending what he's done, However, Nigella seems a compassionate woman,she nursed her first husband through a horrible illness. She is unlikely to stay with someone who abuses and humiliates her but equally unlikely to leave someone who needs her support. I myself have had difficulties with a close elderly relative who in his youth and middle age was the model of compassion and kindness (all the people who knew him say so) but for a while exhibited symptoms of extreme unkindness bordering on cruelty. He never physically harmed anyone but mental harm can be devastating as well. However, treatment by a really good gp after his family explained the situation has seen him revert back to his usual warm affectionate self. So even if it is Charles Saatchi whom alot of people hate for manoeuvring Thatcher into power, he still deserves a fair hearing and compassion if he is ill and Nigella is right to stand by him.

Even if he has alzheimer's now, he didn't have alzheimer's back in 2003, when he married her, and exhibited controlling and abusive behaviour toward her (EG refusing to eat the food she had prepared for him).

Alzheimers or no, there can be no excuse for abusive and violent behaviour.

(Note, I edited the last line from .. excuse for putting up with abusive and violent behaviour. I retract that comment as it was mistakenly phrased to be misconstrued as if I am blaming Ms Lawson for what Saatchi the louse did to her.)

Edited by Plain Talker

Even if he has alzheimer's now, he didn't have alzheimer's back in 2003, when he married her, and exhibited controlling and abusive behaviour toward her (EG refusing to eat the food she had prepared for him).

Alzheimers or no, there can be no excuse for putting up with abusive and violent behaviour.

my bold - well if thats abuse or controlling then i'm being abused daily.

Even if he has alzheimer's now, he didn't have alzheimer's back in 2003, when he married her, and ]exhibited controlling and abusive behaviour toward her ]EG refusing to eat the food she had prepared for him)

in my experience that is act of a very brave or a very foolish man:hihi:

btw the last time I saw that throat grab was in a bar on the zaydkye in amsterdam when a turk grabbed a chinese hooker's winepipe she just grabbed his nuts and twisted while holding a smashed wine glass stem to his face ,he just froze on the spot till her pimp turned up and dragged him out ..but I can't really see nigella doing that can you?:)

Edited by johncocker

In his statement after the photographs of the "playful tiff" Saatchi said that he told his wife to "leave the family home till the dust settles".

Speaks volumes that he seems to think he's in charge of events, and what he says goes.

Nasty little control freak.

By accepting a caution he's admitted assault.

:roll:I hadn't realised until now that the knuckle dragger's hero Nick Griffin has been making inappropriate jokes about the incident: http://www.sickchirpse.com/nick-griffin-twitter-nigella-lawson/

First he tweeted if he had the chance it wouldn't be Nigella's throat he'd be squeezing.

Then when Diane Abbot tweeted her concern about what she would do if a man tried to strangle her as part of a playful tiff, Nick Griffin tweeted back "Frankly unlikely, but hope springs eternalx".

What a charmer :roll:

Even if he has alzheimer's now, he didn't have alzheimer's back in 2003, when he married her, and ]exhibited controlling and abusive behaviour toward her ]EG refusing to eat the food she had prepared for him)

in my experience that is act of a very brave or a very foolish man:hihi:

btw the last time I saw that throat grab was in a bar on the zaydkye in amsterdam when a turk grabbed a chinese hooker's winepipe she just grabbed his nuts and twisted while holding a smashed wine glass stem to his face ,he just froze on the spot till her pimp turned up and dragged him out ..but I can't really see nigella doing that can you?:)

So was the Turkish chap's treatment of the woman in the Amsterdam bar ok because she was Chinese, because she was a hooker, or because she'd grabbed at his nuts?

So was the Turkish chap's treatment of the woman in the Amsterdam bar ok because she was Chinese, because she was a hooker, or because she'd grabbed at his nuts?

you tell me, seeing as usual its you who want to turn this into a race rant.

I'm just telling the story as I saw it ,and suggesting that if nigella had grabbed hubbys nuts and twisted he'd have let go of her neck.

---------- Post added 20-06-2013 at 06:09 ----------

You have obviously either not read, or failed to grasp the nuances of, the Leveson Report.

There is NO prohibition within legislation relating to the publication of photographs taken in a public place, unless minors are involved.

Saatchi and Lawson have courted the media for years, in order to increase their own profiles and line their own pockets. They have now been hoist by their own petards.

we have come along way though in this techno world we live in '

I'm just reading about a 50 odd year old getting beaten up on a bus and nobody came to his aid because most of the passangers were filming it on their smartphones:hihi:

you tell me, seeing as usual its you who want to turn this into a race rant.

I'm just telling the story as I saw it ,and suggesting that if nigella had grabbed hubbys nuts and twisted he'd have let go of her neck.

And, surely, later would have received an even worse beating for "provoking him" no doubt.

:roll:I hadn't realised until now that the knuckle dragger's hero Nick Griffin has been making inappropriate jokes about the incident: http://www.sickchirpse.com/nick-griffin-twitter-nigella-lawson/

First he tweeted if he had the chance it wouldn't be Nigella's throat he'd be squeezing.

Then when Diane Abbot tweeted her concern about what she would do if a man tried to strangle her as part of a playful tiff, Nick Griffin tweeted back "Frankly unlikely, but hope springs eternalx".

What a charmer :roll:

:hihi:That story title is hilarious!!

Ive not read the story yet, im going to do that now but blow me, that really made me laugh out loud.