Ive no longer got time for it !!

Well ive now been banned from yet another for sale site on Facebook, once again some idiot is posting a young dog for sale with the excuse "I havent got time for it" - my comment is "you should have bleepin thought of that before you got it. Just a shame that poor dog still has time for you & doesnt realise the person it loves & trusts just cant be arsed with it anymore now its puppy cuteness has worn off"

Sorry Im ranting but it just winds me up so much that people can just cast off a living creature with no more thought then throwing out an old newspaper.

Wives/husbands and kids are disposable, so why do you think dogs should enjoy a higher status?

People make me sick, but until we stop thinking walking out on family is okay, dogs stand no chance

This time of year the proportion of people wanting rid of their pets always goes up. Yes....Call me an old cynic....But it's holiday time & the numbnuts who take on a pet without a second thought have suddenly realized that they have to do something about the pet. So out come all the usual excuses for getting rid. I haven't got time for it....my circumstances have changed.....my child is allergic....etc etc. The old adage 'a pet is for life' doesn't mean a thing these days. A pet is as disposable as a piece of furniture & just as replaceable. Sad reality is....many of these same people getting rid for whatever reason will probably do the same again a few weeks or months down the line.

I hear that excuse on a weekly basis..

A dog, and indeed any pet most certainly is for life. I have nine rescue dogs ranging in age from 7 months to 15 years and my circumstances have changed over the years to the extent that I go without a good many things that many people see as essentials. There are times when I have struggled for basics but never once has it crossed my mind to abandon my animals. As long as they are fed and cared for I will, and do, put up with any personal inconveniences/hardships.

I love the phrase "want it gone today" that makes me feel so angry, reading ads makes me despair :(

I hear this too ! The other week I took on a bunny I had rehomed 8 years ago , brought back because they were having their 3rd child ! Thankfully she has bonded back in with her siblings I kept ! Poor animals people should think before taking on any animal

I've just been called to do a home check for a dog that ended up in rescue because of a clever person who took the decision to take on the dog rather than let the other person take it who wanted to teach it to fight.

Some people make me sick (and it's not the kind hearted person who took the dog and put it into rescue either).

Just to be devils advocate but what if someones child does become allergic? or someones circumstances change so drastically that they cannot keep a pet no matter how much they want to?

We've had our cat since he was 6 months old (rescued) he's now 12 and my husband is allergic to him. His fur exacerbates my husbands asthma pretty badly, makes him sneeze/wheeze. He lives with it because he loves the moggy like one of the kids but if my child suffered as my husband does I'd would rehome him.

I'm not saying that the situations you've posted about aren't terrible. They are. I'm saying it's not always rubbish excuses people give.

Edited by anniec

I'm saying it's not always rubbish excuses people give

Most pet owners just want to 'get rid' when they can no longer be bothered & will think up the most plausible load of old cobblers to get the Rescues to take the pets off their hands. Yes, there are some genuine cases when people really DO have a good reason for not being able to keep their pet, but speaking from experience, the former applies in most cases. Funny how pet allergies, new babies etc suddenly start peaking just before the Summer Holidays.... & again before Xmas when there is the inevitable & deeply depressing upsurge in people wanting rid of their old & poorly pets to make way for the new & exciting baby animal in time for Xmas.

I dont usually post on here but i have got to this time, " no longer have time for it " what a joke, these people make my blood boil. I work full time, my wife works full time, we have a child, 2 dogs, 3 ferrets, stray cat that we feed and let in the house on cold, wet nights, pond fish and fish in an aquarium in our house. We MAKE TIME for our pets, even when we are tired after a hard days work, make bookings for kennels, ferret boarding ( by a very nice lady on here, you know who you are ), people to feed our cat, fish etc.

A pet is for life, not when it suits.

My husband and my daughter are both allergic to our cats. My daughter takes Piriteze every day. We wouldn't dream of getting rid of them.

The thing that gets me with some of these "have no time" and "circumstances have changed" is that they're often *really* young animals. The person has given no thought to changing things in their life or trying to work out a way of looking after the animals. Nope. Has to go. Now.

---------- Post added 15-06-2013 at 18:13 ----------

I love the phrase "want it gone today" that makes me feel so angry, reading ads makes me despair :(

They *really* seem to be on the increase. Even when it's clear from the post that the person has known this event was coming for some time, they've given no consideration to the future of their animals till absolutely the last moment.

Edited by irenewilde