Cannabis legislation in the UK.

Should we legalise cannabis?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalise cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

Might be growers here tend to opt for the strongest types, where as in Amsterdam they sell a variety of different strengths and types.

That's exactly it, because of the extra risks here, they only go for the strongest stuff that will fetch the best price & sell the quickest. In Amsterdam there's much more variety.

Edited by anywebsite

I first started smoking cannabis at 17, then it was a couple of times a week but then when i was around 19 I started to smoke everyday, 5 spliffs a day, one in the morning then 4 at evening when i got back from work. This continued until i was 29, I never went a day without cannabis for 12 years. In June 2012 things started to change, I came across a piece of Roman Scripture, when i started to read it i heard what sounded like a man speaking in a ancient tongue, which I took to be the author of the verse, while at the same time I felt like I was being converted. To cut a long story short, the conversion made me mentally ill, I became convinced the government were secretly aliens and that all white people originally descended from aliens but with the main politicians having a 'alien brain ' and that they were just enslaving us for their own gain, which is kinda true but anyway I became convinced the white aliens in the West were deliberately keeping black countries in poverty amongst many other things, coz of black people originally being from Earth, while I was also being plagued by the Devil and I was ringing the police, getting on their backs about the hillsborough disaster cover up ( it was back in the news at the time ) and amongst other things, they ended up tracing my number and one paid me a visit which led to an argument. it got worse about one month later when i thought i was in contact with the BBC news but I won't go in to that. In Dec 2012 I was forcefully sectioned under the mental health act, the police took me away and I was detained for a month at Nether Edge. I will add though that from June to December I was really on a high, it wasn't a low. When i went back home though things changed. I was suddenly very very low and very very suicidal. I didnt move from the settee for six months, I had lost all motivation and just wanted to die. I remember a lorry came across the road one day, they were chopping branches from trees and feeding them into grinder and I went across to throw myself in the chopper, but while i was plucking up the courage, he asked what i was doing standing around the lorry which freaked me out so I went back in house. After six months of me being a zombie, my parents asked me to move in with them for abit, anyway it took another nine months before I stopped feeling suicidal but the time away unfortunately ended my marriage. I got my own place now though, been here two months. After all the tests and follow up appointments I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective/Bi polar disorder, a mixture of symptoms of the two. Now I don't agree myself that I have bi polar but that is what they have diagnosed me with.

Now i'm not saying the cannabis caused my illness, for a long time after I genuinely thought I had been converted, it is only a few months back that I eventually realised my experience was a delusion and not real, I blame reading that scripture but my psychiatrist thinks it could have been the cannabis, but if it was the cannabis then maybe I just got unlucky.

I voted yes to legalize it btw .. I don't smoke cannabis to get '' high '', because eventually it wears off and i been smoking it that long that I don't get high, have'nt been since I was 18, I just like the taste, that is the reason why I smoke cannabis. After stopping smoking cannabis when I was sectioned in Dec 2012, I did'nt smoke it until three months ago when I started again but I don't believe it could make me ill again, because I would recognise the symptoms plus I don't think I would become convinced again about my delusions because they were stupid and I don't think I can fall into the same trap again. The worst that can happen is the depression but I feel that cannabis helps my depression too, ironically it is what stopped me killing myself.

Edited by Dyke

I first started smoking cannabis at 17, then it was a couple of times a week but then when i was around 19 I started to smoke everyday, 5 spliffs a day, one in the morning then 4 at evening when i got back from work. This continued until i was 29, I never went a day without cannabis for 12 years. In June 2012 things started to change, I came across a piece of Roman Scripture, when i started to read it i heard what sounded like a man speaking in a ancient tongue, which I took to be the author of the verse, while at the same time I felt like I was being converted. To cut a long story short, the conversion made me mentally ill, I became convinced the government were secretly aliens and that all white people originally descended from aliens but with the main politicians having a 'alien brain ' and that they were just enslaving us for their own gain, which is kinda true but anyway I became convinced the white aliens in the West were deliberately keeping black countries in poverty amongst many other things, coz of black people originally being from Earth, while I was also being plagued by the Devil and I was ringing the police, getting on their backs about the hillsborough disaster cover up ( it was back in the news at the time ) and amongst other things, they ended up tracing my number and one paid me a visit which led to an argument. it got worse about one month later when i thought i was in contact with the BBC news but I won't go in to that. In Dec 2012 I was forcefully sectioned under the mental health act, the police took me away and I was detained for a month at Nether Edge. I will add though that from June to December I was really on a high, it wasn't a low. When i went back home though things changed. I was suddenly very very low and very very suicidal. I didnt move from the settee for six months, I had lost all motivation and just wanted to die. I remember a lorry came across the road one day, they were chopping branches from trees and feeding them into grinder and I went across to throw myself in the chopper, but while i was plucking up the courage, he asked what i was doing standing around the lorry which freaked me out so I went back in house. After six months of me being a zombie, my parents asked me to move in with them for abit, anyway it took another nine months before I stopped feeling suicidal but the time away unfortunately ended my marriage. I got my own place now though, been here two months. After all the tests and follow up appointments I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective/Bi polar disorder, a mixture of symptoms of the two. Now I don't agree myself that I have bi polar but that is what they have diagnosed me with.

Now i'm not saying the cannabis caused my illness, for a long time after I genuinely thought I had been converted, it is only a few months back that I eventually realised my experience was a delusion and not real, I blame reading that scripture but my psychiatrist thinks it could have been the cannabis, but if it was the cannabis then maybe I just got unlucky.

I voted yes to legalize it btw .. I don't smoke cannabis to get '' high '', because eventually it wears off and i been smoking it that long that I don't get high, have'nt been since I was 18, I just like the taste, that is the reason why I smoke cannabis. After stopping smoking cannabis when I was sectioned in Dec 2012, I did'nt smoke it until three months ago when I started again but I don't believe it could make me ill again, because I would recognise the symptoms plus I don't think I would become convinced again about my delusions because they were stupid and I don't think I can fall into the same trap again. The worst that can happen is the depression but I feel that cannabis helps my depression too, ironically it is what stopped me killing myself.

Sounds like you wandered into the realms of abuse rather than use. Unfortunately all drugs have negative side affects. Glad to hear you're on the mend dude.

Also, it's good to hear someone speaking who has direct experience, yet still sees common sense when it comes to decriminalisation.

Yes I am on the mend.. Thanks bonzo.. And yes my experience has not changed my opinion about Cannabis..