Cannabis legislation in the UK.

Should we legalise cannabis?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalise cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

There is widespread use because the full weight of the law isnt applied to people caught with cannabis . The police dont prosecute people for possessing it , instead giving on street cannabis warnings. The law needs to hammer people for cannabis possession.

Yeah, because it's well known that throwing as many drug users as possible into prison is the best way to stop drug related problems, just look at how well it works in the USA.

:rolleyes:

There is widespread use because the full weight of the law isnt applied to people caught with cannabis . The police dont prosecute people for possessing it , instead giving on street cannabis warnings. The law needs to hammer people for cannabis possession.

You haven't given a reason why it should remain illegal :cool:

So it would appear the effects of cannabis and alcohol are broadly similar - yet one is illegal and the other legal.

I remember when the Rainbow Coalition came to power in Belgium in the year 2000, after 50 years of Christian Democrat rule. One of the first things they did was to introduce what became known as ‘condonement policy’ towards cannabis. That is to say: it was not officially legal to use it, but it was officially demoted to the lowest priority for the police, provided that the quantity carried by an individual did not exceed 5 grams. Basically, they just said: ‘We have better things to do.’

Now, I have been a heavy cigar smoker since I was 20, and in 2003, I tried some cannabis at a party. I felt nothing whatsoever, and neither did I sense anything out of the ordinary some years later when I endeavoured again, more attentively. I really fail to see what the appeal of it might be. I much prefer the sweet scent of a cigar to a joint any time. But then again, people have all sorts of weird little obsessions, such as children, football, religion and whatnot. Whilst being convinced that these are all very bad for humanity, I really have no intention of plotting to forbid them.

I voted yes, as I have friends who have the odd bifta now and then, instead of other substances.

It helped keep them relaxed, which in turn helped them keep a clearer head, which helped them to be able to think straight, instead of being stressed and worked up, which is something alcohol etc cannot do, besides that, it's less addictive than alcohol and tobacco..

I have also been known to have a little here and there, and it really is nice, it does help greatly with many ailments..

I don't think the question should be "Should t be legalized", I think the question should be, if it is legalized, then which of the main strains should be legal? Sativa, Indica, ruderalis, or all, or a hybrid of...?

Sativa, is the more trippy strain, that people imagine when talking about it, it's more of the 60's and 70's style stuff.

Indica, is the relaxing, chilled strain that can help pain relief and insomnia etc (where as Sativa can work against insomnia, making it worse in some situations)

Ruderalis, which has a much lower THC content than either of the others...

Then there's hybrids, which is a mix of, often a 60/40 mix (with Indica being the higher percentage)

Edited by Ghozer

I voted no because it stinks!

Hash cakes don't... Just as an example.

I voted no because some people smoke it stood at the school gates, bus stop or shops, and just walking the streets

Cannabis is illegal.

People smoke it at school gates.

Thus cannabis should be illegal.

You're really putting that forward?

I think the question should be, if it is legalized, then which of the main strains should be legal? Sativa, Indica, ruderalis, or all, or a hybrid of...?

All. The work of policing such a policy would be even more pointless than it is now.

You smoking weed?

Yes officer, I am.

What strain are you smoking?

Erm .... the legal ones.

We'll have to arrest you and check that sonny!!

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

Despite the fact that you and your friends were bingeing, abusing and being harmed by those drugs, when they were totally illegal?

That seems to indicate that making drugs illegal doesn't really stop people taking them, doesn't it?

no, I dont think it would have made any difference to be honest, I'd have still done the same regardless of any legal status.

But in my opinion legalising drugs would give off the wrong message to alot of people. "oh it cant be THAT bad because its legal"

I voted no as i have been involved with mental health

And seen the horrific results of the effect of cannabis

On the human mind (research the thc levels

In it )

Alcohol is ok if you can moderate it to healthy

Levels but this also can be devastating if abused

If you need these things it maybe better

To seek help to cope with whatever problems

You are facing in a better way .

I voted no as i have been involved with mental health

And seen the horrific results of the effect of cannabis

On the human mind (research the thc levels

In it )

Alcohol is ok if you can moderate it to healthy

Levels but this also can be devastating if abused

If you need these things it maybe better

To seek help to cope with whatever problems

You are facing in a better way .

No you haven't. You've seen some mentally ill people, some of who may have used cannabis, and, without evidence or reason, assumed their illness was caused by their cannabis use.

When you encountered mentally ill people who hadn't smoked cannabis, did you similarly conclude that their illness must be a direct result of not using cannabis.

The science has been done- even studies that have indicated harmfull effects of cannabis have shown that those effects are way less than the legal drugs , alcohol and tobacco.

This is why, for example, an expert advisor like David Nutt-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nutt

was sacked by the govt, as his scientific, objective, rational and evidence based approach to cannabis did not correspond with the govts hysterical demonisation, non fact based approach.

---------- Post added 15-06-2013 at 09:50 ----------

no, I dont think it would have made any difference to be honest, I'd have still done the same regardless of any legal status.

But in my opinion legalising drugs would give off the wrong message to alot of people. "oh it cant be THAT bad because its legal"

Fact the facts- most of the population who've done some actual research on the issue i.e. looked at proper scientific research, are fully aware of the fact that it isn't that bad.

The only people who have an issue with cannabis are those that either have done no research into the facts, or, who have simply swallowed the governments 'demonisation stance', which is propaganda based on no science whatsoever.

Ok if thats what you want believe i cant change

That but the fact is that all other drug abuse aside

The thc levels in cannabis used over a period of time

Are not healthy or of any positive benefit to the human brain

Especially on a long term basis this is just a simple

Fact but you are letting the emotional side of yourself

Lead on the subject thus blocking out the reasoning

Side of yourself ,just as an alcoholic does ,facts are facts

And the thc levels are the fact