Cannabis legislation in the UK.

Should we legalise cannabis?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalise cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

The smell of it is hardly offensive either, it's rather nice. People are only offended because they have it drilled into them that they should be. Most people are intrigued by the smell, rather than disgusted by it. The passive scent of cannabis is harmless.

I must admit I too like the smell of it, nothing like it really.

The smell may be nice to you, but some find it offensive, it actually makes me want to vomit, it is rank, and even worse when it is ingrained in my childrens clothes after walking through a cloud of it near the school gates, so glad I moved to get away from that kind of ignorance.

As I've said, most decent people wouldn't dream of hanging around a school smoking a joint.

What about the shop doorways and alleyways that reek of urine because of drunks? That smell IS rank, as you put it. And it lingers for weeks.

Should we ban alcohol, yes or no?

Presumably they are the same thicko's that stroll back from the pub or stumble out of taxis spewing their guts up and making a racket, stopping for a pee against our property on the way past.

The problem isn't cannabis, the problem is inconsiderate morons. Idiots smoke weed too, but as usual there is lack of mitigation for decent folk, which are the majority btw.

That is one thing I agree on, yes the problem is the kind of idiots we see smoking it in the street, walking past children in prams and schools :rant: and yes I know there are many people who use it in a decent way and do not force it on others, Like I said do as you please in privacy, I just think legalisation would make the problem worse and it will become the norm. I do not wish for my children to live in that kind of country.

What I have found is where you live does make a difference, I have actually not seen one person smoking it in the street where I now live and its been 8 months, where I am talking about was my old estate and it was everywhere, and each one of them did not care at all, even if I expressed my discust and told the children loudly to move out of the way, the culprit just looked at me blankly and wondered what my problem is, as it smells so nice to some people:confused: I do not take anywere near as much offence if my children are not with me.

That is one thing I agree on, yes the problem is the kind of idiots we see smoking it in the street, walking past children in prams and schools :rant: and yes I know there are many people who use it in a decent way and do not force it on others, Like I said do as you please in privacy, I just think legalisation would make the problem worse and it will become the norm. I do not wish for my children to live in that kind of country.

What I have found is where you live does make a difference, I have actually not seen one person smoking it in the street where I now live and its been 8 months, where I am talking about was my old estate and it was everywhere, and each one of them did not care at all, even if I expressed my discust and told the children loudly to move out of the way, the culprit just looked at me blankly and wondered what my problem is, as it smells so nice to some people:confused: I do not take anywere near as much offence if my children are not with me.

Fair enough, but legalisation doesn't mean it will be acceptable to smoke in public. I agree with you, keep it away from kids.

As I've said, most decent people wouldn't dream of hanging around a school smoking a joint.

What about the shop doorways and alleyways that reek of urine because of drunks? That smell IS rank, as you put it. And it lingers for weeks.

Should we ban alcohol, yes or no?

Yes and that is good to hear, I know not everyone would do that, but I am just saying my experiences have been this way.

I do not tend to go into allyways very much, but yes I know the smell you mean :gag: That is why I do not use public toilets in town, and would rather buy something in a cafe to let my children go.

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 22:49 ----------

Fair enough, but legalisation doesn't mean it will be acceptable to smoke in public. I agree with you, keep it away from kids.

That is all I am saying, I do not think it should be legalised, the law should be tighter on it at least to stop public use or use around children

Edited by lubylou12

The vote looks pretty even,

Looks pretty even, but given the responses of the 'nos' it's a bit more one-sided towards yes.

And a yes from me too for reasons that have already been written.

Should cannabis be legalised in the UK?

Given its widespread use, I thought it was.

Should Cannabis be legalised ?.......................... NEVER

There should though be a change in the legislation regarding Cannabis to re-class it as a Class A drug so people caught pedaling and possessing it can be given long jail sentences to act as a deterrent to others thinking of possessing/cultivating or dealing cannabis.

There should though be a change in the legislation regarding Cannabis to re-class it as a Class A drug so people caught pedaling and possessing it can be given long jail sentences to act as a deterrent to others thinking of possessing/cultivating or dealing cannabis.

Care to elaborate? Why do you think this?

Given its widespread use, I thought it was.

There is widespread use because the full weight of the law isnt applied to people caught with cannabis . The police dont prosecute people for possessing it , instead giving on street cannabis warnings. The law needs to hammer people for cannabis possession.

There is widespread use because the full weight of the law isnt applied to people caught with cannabis . The police dont prosecute people for possessing it , instead giving on street cannabis warnings. The law needs to hammer people for cannabis possession.

Well how do you explain places like Portugal who have decriminalised it, recording lower use of cannabis, when measured against the countries population in comparison to here?

One could make an argument that all the chavs smoke it because it is widely available and prohibited, youths have always rebelled.

At least Portugal have experimented, and it's working for them.

An other argument against your claim could be that police resources are stretched with the war on cannabis, and funding could be better spent on other areas of policing.

You mean like it how it works with Ecstasy or Coke?