Cannabis legislation in the UK.

Should we legalise cannabis?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalise cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

yes.

and the no vote needs to come up with a better argument than 'health reasons', as tobacco and alcohol are the biggest killers.

Well said that man.

yes.

and the no vote needs to come up with a better argument than 'health reasons', as tobacco and alcohol are the biggest killers.

There are no better reasons for the no vote.

Yes!

The vote looks pretty even, and I'd bet it would be on a national scale, if it was anything like how America voted.

So why the hell are we throwing, young fathers, mothers, sons and daughters... The terminally ill and people with no previous convictions in prison for growing a plant?

It's not a crime, not in the eyes of the morally equipped, only in the eyes of a law, a law that is out of date and long overdue a reform.

is this what they call sitting on the fence!

A friend of mine has been smoking cannabis for quite a few years, and moved up to smoking skunk. I noticed first hand over the years that the More he smoked the more paranoid he got, so much so that it affected our friendship.

I understand that this symptom will not apply to everybody, but if it takes the sanity of just one person, it is one to many

I voted no

A bit illogical though. The consequences of cannabis being illegal also create much harm, including taking peoples sanity and/or their liberty. As well as ensuring that most illegal drugs are also unregulated, cut with toxic bulking agents and, in the case of 'stronger' drugs, a direct causes of overdoses/deaths that simply would not happen if the substance was regulated and properly quality-controlled.

So, yes, clearly some harm occurs for some users when taking cannabis (or other drugs), but what matters, is whether or not the harm caused by those drugs being illegal, outweighs tje harmful effects of using them.

Personally, having done the research, I'm very much of the opinion that the harm caused by the 'war on drugs' most definitily does outweigh the harm caused by simply taking the legal and regulated (clean) version of those drugs.

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 20:27 ----------

no. I think people underestimate the effect long term weed use can have on mental health. I saw the mess my gf was when she stopped after smoking it for years and it wasnt good.

I used to think all drugs should be legal and up to the individual but after spending the majority of my adult life abusing pretty much anything I could get my hands on and coming out the other side, I'm convinced now that criminalizing drugs is the way to go (including weed).

Despite the fact that you and your friends were bingeing, abusing and being harmed by those drugs, when they were totally illegal?

That seems to indicate that making drugs illegal doesn't really stop people taking them, doesn't it?

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 20:30 ----------

there has been a lot of research done on the effects of cannabis, I quoted just one case where I have been personally involved, to suggest that he is the only person to have suffered a personality disorder through taking cannabis i.e. skunk is absurd.

A vote is just one person's opinion, why bother to have a vote at all. If your going to strike every vote. You don't agree with. As a member of Sheffield Forum. I have been asked my opinion..... I gave it.

I too have lost somebody through cirrhosis of the liver, but let's not get off subject.

It's hardly off subject is it? you brought up an anectdotal case of someone who's been harmed by a illegal drug, so it's very relevant when someone else points out that plenty of people are damaged by drugs that are totally legal.

Especially when every single study ever done clearly shows that cannabis is far, far less harmful than alcohol. Especially when the other legal drug, tobacco, kills more people than ALL illegal drugs put together.

We've done this debate about a dozen times before :-(

The usual suspects will be along shortly to say "death to all druggies" and to accuse everyone who is in favour of legalisation of being a druggy.

You forgot "gateway drug !"

I voted no because some people smoke it stood at the school gates, bus stop or shops, and just walking the streets, and me having to take my children past them, some have no shame and I think do what you want in privacy but have some respect for other people who do not wish to have thier own children stinking of it.

Since I moved I have not had to deal with this but where ever I live I should not have to be in that position, if it is legalised I feel this will become the street norm. I do not want my children living and breathing that stuff, it is not acceptable.

I voted no because some people smoke it stood at the school gates, bus stop or shops, and just walking the streets, and me having to take my children past them, some have no shame and I think do what you want in privacy but have some respect for other people who do not wish to have thier own children stinking of it.

Since I moved I have not had to deal with this but where ever I live I should not have to be in that position, if it is legalised I feel this will become the street norm. I do not want my children living and breathing that stuff, it is not acceptable.

But car exhaust & cigarette fumes are ok, because presumably you enjoy those smells? I don't.

I think it's quite unfair to say that if legislation were passed, people will become complacent and discard responsibility & common human decency.

The smell of it is hardly offensive either, it's rather nice. People are only offended because they have it drilled into them that they should be. Most people are intrigued by the smell, rather than disgusted by it. The passive scent of cannabis is harmless.

Edited by Jabroni

Yes if there is a reliable test for someone driving whilst stoned ie an equivalent to the breathalyser.

Yes, because the government has no right to prevent someone from having/doing things that do not harm others.

But car exhaust & cigarette fumes are ok, because presumably you enjoy those smells? I don't.

And what?

Why would you presume I like the smell of exhausts and cigarette fumes? I have quit the stinky fags a long time ago and only smell of electronic blueberry these days and I do not inflict any harm or stink to others

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 22:21 ----------

I think it's quite unfair to say that if legislation were passed, people will become complacent and discard responsibility & common human decency.

The kind of people that already walk around the streets smoking it will continue to do so without any repercussions what so ever. :(

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 22:24 ----------

The smell of it is hardly offensive either, it's rather nice. People are only offended because they have it drilled into them that they should be. Most people are intrigued by the smell, rather than disgusted by it. The passive scent of cannabis is harmless.

The smell may be nice to you, but some find it offensive, it actually makes me want to vomit, it is rank, and even worse when it is ingrained in my childrens clothes after walking through a cloud of it near the school gates, so glad I moved to get away from that kind of ignorance.

Edited by lubylou12

And what?

Why would you presume I like the smell of exhausts and cigarette fumes?

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 22:21 ----------

The kind of people that already walk around the streets smoking it will continue to do so without any repercussions what so ever. :(

Presumably they are the same thicko's that stroll back from the pub or stumble out of taxis spewing their guts up and making a racket, stopping for a pee against our property on the way past.

The problem isn't cannabis, the problem is inconsiderate morons. Idiots smoke weed too, but as usual there is lack of mitigation for decent folk, which are the majority btw.

I voted no because it stinks!

............Agreed:)