Cannabis legislation in the UK.

Should we legalise cannabis?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalise cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

I voted no because it stinks!

I have voted no as I do not know much about it and being a smoker for nearly 60 years it may sound hypocritical but I can not agree to something which I have no idea to how it can affect people.

But surely by the same token you can't disagree either:confused:

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 18:03 ----------

I voted no because it stinks!

I voted yes because I love the exotic aroma of it.

I have voted no as I do not know much about it and being a smoker for nearly 60 years it may sound hypocritical but I can not agree to something which I have no idea to how it can affect people.

???you voted 'no' because you don't know much about it? The appropriate thing would have been to either not vote at all, or, find out some facts and then maybe vote.

I voted 'yes' as I'm fed up with all the unnecessary harm and misery caused by the "war on drugs".

Edited by onewheeldave

If you've been smoking fags for sixty years trying a spliff now is not going to hurt.

Should cannabis be legalised in the UK? (Please read the rules)

1. No personal bickering if possible, feel free to debate but stay on topic.

2. Vote in the poll and then give our reasons for or against.

I will join the debate and vote after people have had a chance to voice their opinions. Go go go :hihi:

is this what they call sitting on the fence!

A friend of mine has been smoking cannabis for quite a few years, and moved up to smoking skunk. I noticed first hand over the years that the More he smoked the more paranoid he got, so much so that it affected our friendship.

I understand that this symptom will not apply to everybody, but if it takes the sanity of just one person, it is one to many

I voted no

is this what they call sitting on the fence!

A friend of mine has been smoking cannabis for quite a few years, and moved up to smoking skunk. I noticed first hand over the years that the More he smoked the more paranoid he got, so much so that it affected our friendship.

I understand that this symptom will not apply to everybody, but if it takes the sanity of just one person, it is one to many

I voted no

why is one person's sanity too many? just because you know them? how many cases of cirrhosis of the liver is too many? i lost a good friend to that, yet alcohol is still legal...

strike your vote; forming an opinion that potentially affects everyone based upon a dataset of one person is just stupid.

no. I think people underestimate the effect long term weed use can have on mental health. I saw the mess my gf was when she stopped after smoking it for years and it wasnt good.

I used to think all drugs should be legal and up to the individual but after spending the majority of my adult life abusing pretty much anything I could get my hands on and coming out the other side, I'm convinced now that criminalizing drugs is the way to go (including weed).

Would be nice to see the media take a neutral stance on cannabis and report it fairly.

It was refreshing for me to hear Professor David Nutt speak about it, he is the the ex-government advisor on drugs. He was sacked for telling it how it is.

You can find many videos of David Nutt on youtube, if you are interested in what he has to say.

I don't even smoke it, I used to smoke a lot. It's too expensive now and the quality is often rubbish, so I packed it in 5 years ago.

The reason why prohibition disgusts me, is because they will quite happily sell me cigarettes and alcohol, but I am a criminal if I go and buy a bag of weed. They should be labelled the criminals (politicians) bunch of corrupt hypocrites if you ask me.

Cannabis is a local manufacturing success story, South Yorkshire would be a perfect place to trial legalisation in the UK (for all intents and purposes it is already de facto legal). It is also widely consumed and legalising it would do wonders for our economy. We could become a tourist destination.

why is one person's sanity too many? just because you know them? how many cases of cirrhosis of the liver is too many? i lost a good friend to that, yet alcohol is still legal...

strike your vote; forming an opinion that potentially affects everyone based upon a dataset of one person is just stupid.

there has been a lot of research done on the effects of cannabis, I quoted just one case where I have been personally involved, to suggest that he is the only person to have suffered a personality disorder through taking cannabis i.e. skunk is absurd.

A vote is just one person's opinion, why bother to have a vote at all. If your going to strike every vote. You don't agree with. As a member of Sheffield Forum. I have been asked my opinion..... I gave it.

I too have lost somebody through cirrhosis of the liver, but let's not get off subject.

there has been a lot of research done on the effects of cannabis, I quoted just one case where I have been personally involved, to suggest that he is the only person to have suffered a personality disorder through taking cannabis i.e. skunk is absurd.

A vote is just one person's opinion, why bother to have a vote at all. If your going to strike every vote. You don't agree with. As a member of Sheffield Forum. I have been asked my opinion..... I gave it.

I too have lost somebody through cirrhosis of the liver, but let's not get off subject.

Some people do have an inherent predisposition which clashes with cannabis and consumption of it, it just doesn't mix with some people.

Another little known fact, is there is two types of chemicals in cannabis that we react to, thc & cbd.

Like dog breeds, there is many different types of strains of cannabis, containing different genetics, some have high thc, some have high cbd. Some have a mixture of both.

Thc and cbd have been known to either benefit, or have adverse effects within certain groups who suffer from a sometimes undiagnosed medical condition.

When we buy our weed off the street, we haven't a damn clue what's in it. In America they have medical marijuana advisors within dispensaries who will sell unconflicting and beneficial weed to a patient. Based on his/her needs.

I respect your opinion by the way, both sides of the argument are very welcome indeed. I'm glad you have backed up your vote with your views, which is more than can be said for others.

Edited by Jabroni

yes.

and the no vote needs to come up with a better argument than 'health reasons', as tobacco and alcohol are the biggest killers.