Cannabis legislation in the UK.

Should we legalise cannabis?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalise cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

I may not be as familiar with illegal drugs as some of you are, but I worked on a medical ward for several years so I think I can speak with some authority on the effects of dangerous substances

Yet again, bad arguments.

Drugs are illegal.

I've seen the negative effects in my medical work.

Thus drugs should be illegal.

Prohibition doesn't work. They're illegal and you've still seen the negative effects. Nobody is arguing that drugs are a wonderland of never-ending pleasure. We're stating that prohibition doesn't work, and that making them illegal has far more negative consequences than a state that offers a controlled, legal and regulated supply.

Initially I was against this vote [...]

[...] Oh, and have you heard about the new strain of cannabis grown especially for the 'ladies' out there? I believe it's called skank!

You've managed to make a sensible point and been ragingly judgemental and insulting at the same time; which is quite an achievement.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

No. It increases the likelihood of mental health problems.

I voted no, I hate the smell and hate the fact that I am forced to smell it when I open my door at 9am and then throughout the day, I know others may not care but I really hate it and it makes me feel sick.

Does no one else find it really worrying that growing amounts of people (or certainly so where I live) find it hard to get through the day without it? they say that its not addictive but experience seems to suggest otherwise, do people really need their senses dulled to get through another day? if so thats very sad, they are surely missing out on so much.

I really don't care to much about occasional users who smoke it in their own home without troubling other people with the smell, and who are responsible enough not to drive or look after Children while under the influence...all of which I see around here..

I do think though that maybe it should be legalised for people needing pain relief and be prescribed, but that begs the question of how it would be taken, surely smoking it is really bad for us just like tobacco?

Well said moonbird:D

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 10:09 ----------

But that was not all of my reasons.

And anyway it makes me feel sick why should I have to feel sick from the smell of someones illegal drugs?

I don't see why its a bad argument, the poll asks opinions this is mine, I'm sorry if you don't agree with it, but that doesn't make it void.

Exactly :hihi:

Yet again, bad arguments.

Prohibition doesn't work. They're illegal and you've still seen the negative effects. Nobody is arguing that drugs are a wonderland of never-ending pleasure. We're stating that prohibition doesn't work, and that making them illegal has far more negative consequences than a state that offers a controlled, legal and regulated supply.

You can't speak for all who want Cannabis legalised and I can't speak for everyone who doesn't. Some of those for legalisation may have only a personal reason for doing so, not everyone has the good intentions and best interest of the nation as you would appear to have.

If the drug became legal I would want to see strict controlled regulations in place too; not an over the counter buy as you please situation, but then that would mean criminal drug dealers would still be operating, and then an increase in the supply of harder drugs may become a more serious problem.

What would we do then legalise them too?

Drug dependency is a medical problem, and not a criminal one, and it should be treated as such. We don't call the police when we suffer from depression, or a doctor when there's a burglary.

That's very literal, but I'll join you. If you don't want to wear a seat belt, then don't.

It is irrelevant if I want to wear a seat belt or not, the point was about legislation to protect an individual which is why there is a law relating to seat belts to protect the wearer.

What if a person has self-abused their body to an extreme and requires medical treatment or a Hospital admission which a massive number of people do. Is it anybody's business then? or should we just adopt the attitude "who cares its their body let them suffer the consequences of their actions" :(

Come on Janie- play fair :)

You should know by now what a strawman is-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

and what you say above is just that- it applies equally to a host of non-cannabis issues, including the rights of people to choose to engage in extreme sports, where they could be severely injured and require extensive medical treatment, and, it applies to many non-extreme sports/activities, such as, for example, horse-riding.

It is irrelevant if I want to wear a seat belt or not, the point was about legislation to protect an individual which is why there is a law relating to seat belts to protect the wearer.

Seat belts do not just protect the individual wearing it, but the people sat in front of them too.

But it's not an analogous to cannabis use in any way, if it was, cars would have been made illegal, and car dealers would be in prison.

If you are seeing 3 or 4 strawmans as well as mine why don't you address those posts too?

They have been addressed- just go through the thread and look for posts including the word 'strawman'.

You've been involved in enough threads on here where the term has been used, and explained, to know what a strawman argument is- if you don't, then please read this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

and, if you still don't understand, then ask a question.

Because, when it comes to something as important as cannabis legislation and, your complicity in it (i.e. you support it), I think its vital that you understand the reality of what you are inflicting on others, abd the last thing you need to form your opinion is a string of invalid reasoning and strawmna arguments.

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 10:03 ----------

Initially I was against this vote because I have seen car loads of young idiots smoking this stuff and then driving around with the senses and reactions dulled by the effects. What if these idiots plough into your family and they get off because it is classed as an accident?

Another reoccurance of that fantastic (non)argument-

1. cannabis is illegal

2. young idiots drive while on cannabis

3. therefore cannabis should be illegal

Edited by onewheeldave

You can't speak for all who want Cannabis legalised

I don't make that claim.

not everyone has the good intentions and best interest of the nation as you would appear to have.

They should have the best interest of the nation at heart. It wastes my tax money sending an ill man to prison. It wastes my tax money policing a war on drugs that can never be won.

If the drug became legal I would want to see strict controlled regulations in place too; not an over the counter buy as you please situation

Why?

Why can't people buy cannabis as they please?

They do so now, but from criminals. The very thing you don't want is the situation we have now.

What would we do then legalise them too?

Yes, I say - espcially opiates.

Let us not ignore the problem either - that there is a huge problem with addiction to legal prescription drugs. Not all addicts are scummy losers waiting for a fix.

Drug addiction is an illness and people need help. Prohibition doesn't work.

-------------

the point was about legislation to protect an individual which is why there is a law relating to seat belts to protect the wearer.

You were being literal.

Seat belts don't just protect you. They protect people from watching you fly through a windscreen and land on them too. :)

It's all moot. The harm principle stands. If you want to drink your life into a puddle of cheap vodka - the state cannot stop you. If I want to eat one cookie with cannabis in - I can go to prison. Isn't the law wonderful?

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

I'd wanna see strict controls in place, or more importantly stiff sentences for anyone caught selling to or buying on behalf of a minor.

Seat belts do not just protect the individual wearing it, but the people sat in front of them too.

But it's not an analogous to cannabis use in any way, if it was, cars would have been made illegal, and car dealers would be in prison.

I was just making a point about the use of legislation in certain areas.

The same as suicide no longer being a criminal offence.

---------- Post added 19-06-2013 at 12:47 ----------

You were being literal.

Seat belts don't just protect you. They protect people from watching you fly through a windscreen and land on them too. :)

It's all moot. The harm principle stands. If you want to drink your life into a puddle of cheap vodka - the state cannot stop you. If I want to eat one cookie with cannabis in - I can go to prison. Isn't the law wonderful?

As I posted earlier when the dangers of alcohol and tobacco are well know we appear to have reduced legislation and policing of alcohol issues, also when a government publishes health warnings on tobacco products and then takes tax from the sale of them we really are in a mess.