Sign in to follow this  

How are Sheffield Council Housing Points awarded?

anyone know how council housing points are allocated?

what do you get points for?

a friedn is looking to move from Barnesley council estate due to gang of troublemakers.

any recommendations of nicer areas ?

( council or housing assoc) as they obviously don't want to move from one rough area to another.

the points system is EXTREMELY different to that in Barnsley. I managed quite esily to earn more points through their system.

The problem at the moment is that Sheffield council are demolishing a large number of their existing council houses thus making those tenants homeless. They are automatically awarded 40 points.

Now compare - my hubby has been on the housing list for the last 6 years which has earn't him 6 points. We get 10 extra points because we are in fact overcrowded - but we are now moving down the list because of these demolishes.

Your friend will be actively encouraged to choose a less popular area and we know what that means. I think the only reason they would relocate and award higher points would have to include medical, work related and family reasons + the fact you were being made homeless.

Good Luck

Moon Maiden

Any local area housing office will give you a leaflet explaining the system, or First Point at Howden House in the city centre. The system changed this month. All properties are now let on a bidding system. It would be a good idea to register with as many housing associations as you can at the same time. Hope your friend gets lucky.

thanks for your reply

been looking on Barnesley council website for info on how they award points - no joy

Friend phoned Shelter housing advice line, most helpful.

Sorry to hear you are moving down the list :(

thanks mslotus

struggling to understand the bidding system, but will visit property shop for more info, and waiting to hear from housing assocs.

any idea if points can be transferred from one council to an other?

Well looking around at my new neighbours I'd say it goes something like this:

Smack Head = 40 points

Anti social scum=40 points

Family who breed devil children like there's no tomorrow = 40 points

Working respectable person=0 points

Elderly Person who has paid taxes for 50 plus years=2 points

I totally agree with steelblade, the whole Sheffield Council Housing system is a disgrace. My sister and her partner (both hard working citizens) had asked to be moved from their one bedroomed flat upon the arrival of their first child.

When they were told of the bidding system, they tried for months without a result.

A house came up in one of their desired areas, which was next door to a friend. They did not get it and were later told by the friend that a most undesirable family (who had been evicted by four different councils around the country) had moved in.

Maybe the Council should set their priorities right.

Upon writing this they are still in a 1 bed upper flat with a bleak outlook if the Council do not review the system.

It really is all such a mess. I'm getting to near breaking point with the council at the minute.

The people they are insistant on housing in the block of flats I live are utter scum, no other word for them.

I literally sat and cried yesterday after coming home from work once again to hear the delights of techno music being blasted out. The girl who must obviously be stone deaf, lives 7 floors above me. It was so bad the first time I heard it I thought it was the person directly above me.

She also invites all the local vandals into her flat which is great, not only do they gain entry to the block to graffitti everywhere they are now sat on the landings smoking weed and setting fires on the stairs.

This girl has had 30+ complaints made against her, she is still on the block with no sign of her being evicted.

The council, not satisfied with one piece of dirt have moved two 17 year old lads onto the 12th floor. For some reason they have an obsession with throwing things from the window and spitting at people coming in and out.

I got a taxi back from town last friday and was told I couldn't be dropped off outside my flat because the taxis are having bottles thrown at them.

Without sounding melodramatic, I am in utter despair. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm so sad that this once great area is slipping so far down it's unbelievable and the council are actively encouraging it.

I have spent a lot of money on my flat making it into a home and I'm so angry that the council are handing flats out to scum who only want them as a doss house.

If there's no sign of improvment my boyfriend and I are going to go and live with his parents until we can afford a house because we have both near enough reached the end of our tether.

I'm upset just writing this. :cry:

8) Nah Den Ace.........

I've not always been mad, you know, but um... I was actually driven mad by the indifference of architects and council planners. You see, I live in a tower block, and um, the thing about those is, there's terrible noise problems, 'cause there's no noise insulation at all, you know, and eight floors below you, there's always some b*stard who's got a Yamaha home organ, you know. You're just about to go to sleep and you hear this "DOOT DOOT! TCH-TCH, DOOT DOOT! TCH-TCH, ROLL-OUT-THE-BARRELS! DOOT-DOOT, TCH-TCH, DOOT DOOT, TCH-TCH" And like, the people who live upstairs from me, I can't understand what they're doing, you know, I listen. And all I can hear is this weird noise that goes, "Whoom whoom! Blam blam! Whoom whoom! Blam blam!" It sounds, right, it sounds like two elephants on a motorbike riding round and round, while a seal bangs a kipper on the table! I went upstairs to complain, and the door was answered by this elephant in a crash helmet! Standing behind him's this seal going, "What is it now, Ralph?"

I'm sorry sister, I couldn't resist that one!

I totally sypathise/empathise with your situation. The thing is what would you have the council do to vet tenants, so that only the nice people move in to your block of flats? Having done that, where would the council house the people who had failed this vetting process........somebody else would have the same problem as you have had. You could round 'em all up and dump all the "scum" on one estate. People from the surrounding areas wouldn't be happy with that and what would happen if you had been wrongly branded; for instance, if I took a dislike to you and coerced my neighbours into making complaints about you. The council have to thoroughly investigate complaints before evicting someone, for this reason. Unfortunately, this means monitoring and collecting evidence, which all takes time.

There aren't any simple answers I'm afraid. From my experience, I would ask the noisy neighbours to keep the noise down. Take someone with you, be assertive but don't be aggressive. If they don't want to listen, walk away. Confrontation is not the answer. Log any disturbances and report it to the council.

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Spacehopper why do you always start your posts with '8)Nah Den Ace...'?

8) Nah Den Ace.........

Just being friendly, it's a term of endearment..........nothing to be afraid of! It could quite easily have been " 'Ow Do" or "Awreight 'R Kid".

Regards,

Spacehopper.