E3 - Microsoft - Xbox One

Microsoft have not really done it this year for me, i think its back to Sony. Microsoft did step up a little, by introducing new things for Xbox Live Gold Members which suprised me a little. Bringing a new model of the Xbox 360 out i think its just worthless because no one will be exactly wanting a 360 now the new generation is out this fall, but thats just my opinion.

The games look amazing in quality and the new franchises look good and different, but im still being put off by the offline and online situation and not being able to use your old games, only being able to download them and needing an internet connection basicly 24/7.

For me id be getting the Xbox One at a later date, PS4 will certainly be this year.

Anyone wish to share there thoughts on E3, go ahead..

I'll be getting both consoles at some point. Liked the look of some of the exclusives for the XB1, especially Dead Rising 3.

Just to point out an innacuracy in your post:

- Only being able to download? Disc based games will also be available.

Don't see why everyone is kicking up a fuss about the online/cloud thing. My 360 and PS3 have both been connected to the net since day one every day.

I'll be getting both consoles at some point. Liked the look of some of the exclusives for the XB1, especially Dead Rising 3.

Just to point out an innacuracy in your post:

- Only being able to download? Disc based games will also be available.

Don't see why everyone is kicking up a fuss about the online/cloud thing. My 360 and PS3 have both been connected to the net since day one every day.

I think the main issue is the daily check in. Last time I moved house, whilst waiting two weeks to get connected online I relied on offline gaming to keep me entertained. With XB1, your games become worthless if you have no Internet. That makes absolutely no sense. If you buy a disc, you should be allowed to play it online or offline without checking in.

Bringing a new model of the Xbox 360 out i think its just worthless because no one will be exactly wanting a 360 now the new generation is out this fall, but thats just my opinion.
Your are aware that not all markets across the globe partake in the latest-&-greatest gen at the same time, right? ;)

The new cheaper 360 is mostly targeted at emerging economies (which have yet to transition to that gen en masse) rather than 'the West'. Exact same marketing strategy as with previous gens (PS1>PS2>PS3, and before that SMS>MD>Saturn>DC, rinse-repeat).

Anyone wish to share there thoughts on E3, go ahead..
Microsoft got a bloody nose and a black eye last night.

Deserved, IMHO: the confirmed feature set of the XB1 reads like a take-my-customers-for-mugs-and-a-half cribsheet, and is the epitome of corporate arrogance where their core audience is concerned.

Sony played their hand very well: after the drubbing they got about their 'reveal' earlier in the year (now, with the benefit of hindsight...was it deliberate?) they just kept quiet and waited for M$ to step on their own d***k with their all-your-consoles-and-games-are-belong-to-us approach, then swung the votes with minimal effort (as can be quite clearly seen all over t'Interweb today).

Edited by L00b

on a personal level it won't affect me in a great way( I rarely trade in, disconnect, or buy used games, I'm leaning towards digital purchase recently as the number of times I've replaced scratched discs :o )

however it does strike me as a step too far in terms of always connected and no (limited) trade-ability due to the fact your purchases become bricked without internet.

It seems they are trying to stop piracy(not going to happen) and maximise income but the massive shift in policy is probably going to affect console sales and certainly affect public opinion. Mine included, not that m$ was well regarded by me anyway :)

I read somewhere about m$ would rather not sell a console to someone who buys trade in games as they recieve less % profit from hardware than game sales..

kinda rings true with this policy.

It seems they are trying to stop piracy(not going to happen) and maximise income but the massive shift in policy is probably going to affect console sales and certainly affect public opinion. Mine included, not that m$ was well regarded by me anyway :)

I read somewhere about m$ would rather not sell a console to someone who buys trade in games as they recieve less % profit from hardware than game sales..

kinda rings true with this policy.

They're not trying to stop piracy, it's not really a problem now.

What M$ are going to do is muscle in on the second-hand game industry because it's a nice little earner and for them 100% profit.

The launch price of the new Xbox is a joke, with a years subscription to XBL it's not far off 500 quid :loopy:

we in the uk are being totally ripped off the exchange rate doesn't add up

Call me paranoid, but...I wasn't particularly fond of the concept to begin with, but after this week's Prism/NSA scandal, the last thing I want in my house is an always-on do-it-all supercomputer-grade gizmo with perma-on eyes and ears made on behalf of a US corporation (expectedly in bed with the NSA and the like up to its ears, what with regulatory backdoor keys and such), which will collect data about what I play & when I play it, what I watch & when I watch it (TV, web, BR, DVD, etc.), who I skype with and when, who's in the room and when, complete with HD photos, physiology details and voice samples, email addresses, card details, etc.

It's enough to make George Orwell spin in his grave, and to give all of senior Gvt and intelligence types, private sector mass-marketers, professional hackers and ID thieves a perma hard-on.

In fact, the more I think about it as I consider this thread and others like it, here and elsewhere, the more I think people must be completely dumb to have any kind of enthusiasm for xbox one (as currently touted).

Also makes me wonder where does the DPA come in and stands in all this, for UK-based players.

Edited by L00b

we in the uk are being totally ripped off the exchange rate doesn't add up

This has been stated dozens of times on various forums. The UK price includes VAT whilst the US prices do not include for sales tax as each individual state has a different rate. The UK price also includes for import tax so really its the government who are ripping us off. Besides these prices might change in the coming future, let's just see the fight continue for now!

Got to say though Microsoft have seriously shot themselves in the foot so far and looks like it might be the Sony console this time for me.

Who said the Japanese don't have a sense of humour:

:D

They're not trying to stop piracy, it's not really a problem now.

What M$ are going to do is muscle in on the second-hand game industry because it's a nice little earner and for them 100% profit.

The launch price of the new Xbox is a joke, with a years subscription to XBL it's not far off 500 quid :loopy:

You will now also need a Playstation Plus subscription to play online, and the camera for the PS4 is not included in the cost. Add these up and the pricing of the consoles will not be that far apart.

People will obviously think it's a lot of money for a new console, whether you get the PS4 or an Xbox, but given people seem to be snapping up Ipad's which are not that much cheaper as if they're going out of fashion I don't think the new consoles are that badly priced.

2nd hand iPad prices are bound to freefall shortly, in view of the recent sales ban in the US, as stockholders clear inventory in a rush ;)