We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

Advice needed on cats' night time wanderings

Just an update and yet another reason why I want my cats in at night. One cat was let out by OH around 11 pm last night and when i realised i went to let him in at 3 am only to find he had come in with a tiny mouse in his mouth, which he promptly dropped in the lounge then started chasing it around. Eventually he caught it again and I put him out until he had released it. I know he will keep the mouse population down single handedly (this is his third mouse in 3 days) but i really don't want to witness it first-hand! Feliway being delivered today - can't wait!

Yes, making sure their mouths are empty when they come through the door is an important thing! We've been caught out on more than one occasion! Anything our elder cat brings in is usually well beyond help but our younger one is not so efficient and we've had a live bird, a live mouse and any number of live frogs....

Update on the cats' night time wanderings - not much progress made I am afraid. Cats have been with us 10 days now and as soon as it is dark they want to be out and even if I let them in an hour later, they want to be out again almost immediately. We are fitting a cat flap to the shed door this weekend so that when they are out, they will have a refuge in bad weather. They never wander too far and usually come within a few minutes when I call them. There appears to be only one other cat in the neighbourhood and he is a big bruiser who roams at night so perhaps there are territorial issues. I still don't sleep very much when they are out but perhaps I am the one who needs training, not them! (Perhaps I will try the Bach Rescue Remedy)

I wouldn't just be worried about foxes, I was out shooting the other week and saw a badger carrying a cat away. If I owned a cat it would be kept in a night.

I wouldn't just be worried about foxes, I was out shooting the other week and saw a badger carrying a cat away. If I owned a cat it would be kept in a night.

Badgers prefer dead meat, and chances are it found the cat already dead.

They don't tend to kill.

We have badgers that visit and cats which use the catflap all the time and if anything the cat's stand their ground and it's the badgers that leave first so I would say that the cat was most probably dead before.

Absolutely Rach, badgers would have to run fast to catch any cat and foxes would not run the risk of being injured by cats' claws and teeth. I have a photo of one of our visiting foxes fast asleep with my ferals. Wild animals do not go looking for trouble, they have enough problems already being persecuted by humans. Neutered cats go out at night for no other reason than to hunt. We never had mice in the house until we acquired our ferals! Come the colder weather, they might enjoy the warmth of your house, but until then I think your idea of a safe haven in your shed is a good idea.

Sorry to hear that the progress is so slow. This is the sort of thing where you realise how quickly humans and dogs cope with change and how slowly cats cope with it.

Cats are naturally crepuscular, which means that their normal hunting time is dusk and dawn (the same as bats) and that, combined with their habits and resistance to change, means that you will have to work on this for some time.

Getting a refuge put in the shed is a great idea, but you will need to take them in there and show them that it's there for them with a bit of catnip, some beds that smell of them (just put an old blanket where they sleep right now for a few days to get their smell then move it out there) and then with a bit of luck they will shelter if they need to.