Decent homes standards/Sheffield Homes refurb

I had my windows and doors done and was very dissapointed all the finish is coming off my back door, and my windows get mould round the frame, and still steam up like my old ones but not as bad as my single glazed. Does anyone eles have the same problem? still waiting for kitchen and bathroom 18 months later! Contacted mears on several occasions they always say they will ring back, but never do.

Open the vents on the windows or open the window and it wont steam up!

I would be incredibly surprised if council / sheffield homes / housing association rents were anything like the cost of a mortgage - paying back a £75k mortgage (which is well below the national average mortgage) over 25 years would mean payments in excess of £400 per month.

Some friends of mine, about 10 years ago were renting from a HA, and were paying £75 a week for their 3-bed house even then. They bought a house and were paying something like £55 a week for the mortgage.

Some friends of mine, about 10 years ago were renting from a HA, and were paying £75 a week for their 3-bed house even then. They bought a house and were paying something like £55 a week for the mortgage.

Yes but today 10 years on you can times that by at least 4. We pay £150 a week for a 90k mortgage.

Yes but today 10 years on you can times that by at least 4. We pay £150 a week for a 90k mortgage.

and? I was illustrating the point that "buying", in the case of the friends of mine, was cheaper than renting. Their mortgage, at the time, was for about 60k, perhaps, for a generously sized victorian villa at handsworth. (going on a friend of mine selling her 1930's semi at crosspool, which was in desperate need of renovation for 61500 at about the same time)

based on the mortgage the friends took out on the house, they still won't be paying anything like £150 a week, these days, even with interest rises. I'd say 75 a week max on what they paid for the house then?

and? I was illustrating the point that "buying", in the case of the friends of mine, was cheaper than renting. Their mortgage, at the time, was for about 60k, perhaps, for a generously sized victorian villa at handsworth. (going on a friend of mine selling her 1930's semi at crosspool, which was in desperate need of renovation for 61500 at about the same time)

based on the mortgage the friends took out on the house, they still won't be paying anything like £150 a week, these days, even with interest rises. I'd say 75 a week max on what they paid for the house then?

No but today you cant buy a semi anywhere for 60k you are looking at least 100k for a semi in any area of sheffield. This equates to £150 per week or more depending on the mortgage. Your original point was renting is as expensive as buying. It isnt. We live today not 10 years ago.

My windows still steam up even with vent and window open

They will do if you are producing a lot of steam i.e in the kitchen and bathroom. The only thing you can do is open the window to allow air to circulate thus reducing the amount of steam. Every house gets steam on their windows in kitchens and bathrooms.

I moved into my council property last april, before I moved in I was promised new kitchen, bathroom, windows, doors and central heating installed. Then when work in other houses on the street started I rang and asked about mine, only to be told that I would have to wait untill 2010 as when the house was empty they lost they keys and couldn't get access for the survey. I challanged this and they have now agreed to do the work before spring. I had my windows and doors done last week and may I say the guys that did them were fab, hardly any mess.

Yes but mine even steam up in the kids bedroom, not as much as my single glazed ones but they still get a little condensation on them all the same. I was just wondering if other people get condensation on their double glazing?

Yes but mine even steam up in the kids bedroom, not as much as my single glazed ones but they still get a little condensation on them all the same. I was just wondering if other people get condensation on their double glazing?

Yes we get it and if you're not careful you can get condensation mould in other parts of the room.

prevention is better than cure, open all vents and make sure there is good air circulation in the rooms.

3 weeks ago i had work started on my kitchen and bathroom. In tha first week of the work been done, i had a leak in my bathroom caused by a pipe not bein capped off correctly. As we live in a house with the bedrooms down stairs, it caused a lot of damage. The water from the bathroom went down into my bedroom. In the end they bought me a new bed as mine was ruined. They also promised to plaster the ceiling,whitch hasn't been done as yet.

Since then i have had 3 more leaks in the bathroom and 1 in the kitchen. Again leading to water damage down stairs.I have not been able to use the washer and oven for 2 weeks, instead of the 1 day whitch i was told it would be. That has been difficult as i have 2 young children.A plug socket behind the washer is hanging out, the door frames aren't cut to size but put up anyway,the paint work is terrible, the gas meter isnt fixed down, the list goes on and on.Good luck to anyone having the work done, you may need it. x

If you do a search of 'mould' or 'condensation' in this section, you'll see this has been discussed at some length recently. there's lots of information on those threads. :)