Decent homes standards/Sheffield Homes refurb

work is about to begin on my council house bringing it up to the decent home s standard . i have been told by the mears rep that we arnt getting new boilers etc because the money is runningout?.the question im asking you is should people who bought their council homes still benefit by getting new walls,windows etc before the council tenants who this work is intended for ?

I'm guessing that they'll put in the private ones first to generate an income stream. Normal business practice, ensure where your money's coming from.

hiya max but the work been done on their homes dosent cost them a penny free windows and garden walls etc.

The work done is terrible, they will take your old windows out and then find they haven't got the replacement windows and bored a couple up for a few weeks. They will then install the heat reflective glass the wrong way round with sight cracks in the corners and take months to get round to doing the job correctly.

They will retile your roof but forget to replace the felt that is underneath and when you get rain damage and your contents insurance refuse to pay out they will pass you from one department to another before offering you £25.00 credit on your rent to replace a carpet that is only 3 moths old and cost £325.

Here's a tip don't let them take out a single window until you have the replacements on your property and check all the work done before they leave.

work is about to begin on my council house bringing it up to the decent home s standard . i have been told by the mears rep that we arnt getting new boilers etc because the money is runningout?.the question im asking you is should people who bought their council homes still benefit by getting new walls,windows etc before the council tenants who this work is intended for ?

As far as I'm aware the decent homes standard applies mainly to social housing (council, ALMO's like Sheffield Homes and Housing Associations). It won't normally apply to the privately owned houses except for vulnerable households which according to a Government website "are those receiving one of a number of income-related or disability benefits".

As for the money running out I assume they are more likely to be referring to this financial year (ends 31 March) than money running out full stop.

hiya max but the work been done on their homes dosent cost them a penny free windows and garden walls etc.

The money for work on private homes is HMRF (housing market renewable fund) money, and completely unrelated to the Decent Homes budget. Anyone can take advantage of this funding provided it is released to your area. The main aim of it is to improve the look of estates as a whole, rather than just the properties owned by the council or housing associations.

Longcol is also right regarding the end of the financial year. They are not running out of money. Millions of pounds are available and as the work progresses and Sheffield Homes keep hold of their 3 star rating, even more funds will be released by the government. Bear in mind that Sheffield Homes have a duty to their tenants to spend this money wisely and as part of their "spec-saver", will only be replacing boilers and heating installations that don't meet the Decent Homes standard - i.e. they don't work or don't heat your home adequately. If you have a perfectly serviceable boiler or one that only requires minor repairs, why should it be replaced with a brand new one just for the sake of it?

The money for work on private homes is HMRF (housing market renewable fund) money, and completely unrelated to the Decent Homes budget. Anyone can take advantage of this funding provided it is released to your area. The main aim of it is to improve the look of estates as a whole, rather than just the properties owned by the council or housing associations.

Longcol is also right regarding the end of the financial year. They are not running out of money. Millions of pounds are available and as the work progresses and Sheffield Homes keep hold of their 3 star rating, even more funds will be released by the government. Bear in mind that Sheffield Homes have a duty to their tenants to spend this money wisely and as part of their "spec-saver", will only be replacing boilers and heating installations that don't meet the Decent Homes standard - i.e. they don't work or don't heat your home adequately. If you have a perfectly serviceable boiler or one that only requires minor repairs, why should it be replaced with a brand new one just for the sake of it?

Hi,

to answer the last bit re boilers it is because a boiler is judged under decent homes on it's age. I work on decent homes all over yorskhire and depending what local authority you are in depends on how old the boiler has to be to fail decent homes. All decent homes work should be complete by 2010 and in some instances if the boiler is going to be a certain age by 2010 (say 15 yrs old) it will fail on age alone despite it's condition. The logic behind this is simple, just because the boiler or any other element is ok now does not mean in 2010 it will be deemed to be fit.

hope this helps

As far as I'm aware the decent homes standard applies mainly to social housing (council, ALMO's like Sheffield Homes and Housing Associations). It won't normally apply to the privately owned houses except for vulnerable households which according to a Government website "are those receiving one of a number of income-related or disability benefits".

As for the money running out I assume they are more likely to be referring to this financial year (ends 31 March) than money running out full stop.

Very true! I have seen Local Authorities pull all decent home works because funding has sran out! This usually means waiting till the new finiancial year where goverment funding will need to be rasied.....

so how come my boiler is 20years old ,blows out when it gets windy ,fails to relight and still deemed ok ?

I went and picked my tiles, paint, flooring and stuff last week. Dunno when it's likely to start. They told my neighbour we'll be getting our heating overhauled as well, but told me we won't (he at least has a boiler with a timer and thermostat, I have to switch mine on and off and unlike my neighbour I haven't got a radiator in the bathroom). As for windows, ours have already been replaced.

I'm wondering, I've got laminate flooring all downstairs. When they replace it in the kitchen, a) it's continuous into the hall and b) it'll be an inch or so lower than the rest. Do I get compensated as it's my floor or what? I'm not expecting to be as I'm sure there'll be a loophole they can use to get out of it, but looking forward to the improvements all the same :)

so how come my boiler is 20years old ,blows out when it gets windy ,fails to relight and still deemed ok ?

Because some coucils standards a ridiculous! If it's 20yrs old now it suprises me it passes decent homes! Most LA's have a lifespan in boilers @ 15yrs old by the yr 2010 OR 15 Yrs old now,,,,,,can't be sure in sheff tho :)