Any recommendations for outdoor swimming in Sheffield and Derbyshire?

Now the weather's better I'd like to do some outdoor swimming. Can anyone recommend any good rivers or lakes near Sheffield?

don't know about rivers or lakes but there is an outdoor pool at hathersage.

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/ has a section on Derbyshire.

Map from wild swimming.

Most ponds and lakes in this area are man made and hazardous.

Every year people drown in them. They are hazardous because they are deep, steep sided, cold and can contain discarded material like rope.

Children in particular are at risk as they become quickly exhausted.

Would be rescuers also become victims.

very useful thread. happy i read it :) defo going to take my lads there tomorrow x

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/ has a section on Derbyshire.

Map from wild swimming.

Most ponds and lakes in this area are man made and hazardous.

Every year people drown in them. They are hazardous because they are deep, steep sided, cold and can contain discarded material like rope.

Children in particular are at risk as they become quickly exhausted.

Would be rescuers also become victims.

So, everything's dangerous and no-one should do anything....ok thanks. Phew, there was me all set for having an interesting and fulfilling life, utilising an intelligent approach to risk to allow a touch of excitement before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Luckily you came along and warned me about....rope and.....cold and errrrm, depth and stuff. I shall stay at home now and knit and hopefully never meet any of the evils you mention. Oh, actually, I've just noticed my knitting needles are pointed and represent a hazard so I've limited myself to jigsaws and the odd (safe) crossword, written in crayon in case I fall and sever an artery on my crazily sharp Bic biro. Thanks again safety guru. You're my hero!

So, everything's dangerous and no-one should do anything....ok thanks. Phew, there was me all set for having an interesting and fulfilling life, utilising an intelligent approach to risk to allow a touch of excitement before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Luckily you came along and warned me about....rope and.....cold and errrrm, depth and stuff. I shall stay at home now and knit and hopefully never meet any of the evils you mention. Oh, actually, I've just noticed my knitting needles are pointed and represent a hazard so I've limited myself to jigsaws and the odd (safe) crossword, written in crayon in case I fall and sever an artery on my crazily sharp Bic biro. Thanks again safety guru. You're my hero!

There was a woman on the radio last week, who goes around schools warning kids not to swim in unfamiliar lakes. Her son died a few years ago after drowning in a lake. You should meet her and tell her what you've said above. A highly insensitive post.

There was a woman on the radio last week, who goes around schools warning kids not to swim in unfamiliar lakes. Her son died a few years ago after drowning in a lake. You should meet her and tell her what you've said above. A highly insensitive post.

By that logic no one should ever say anything to anyone about anything just in case they offend them in some way. A highly ridiculous post.