Drawn curtains for bereveaments.

As do I,respect costs nothing.
too true respect that is what has made our country

Mams know best, she sounds a lovely woman.

---------- Post added 12-06-2013 at 10:01 ----------

They did indeed,and at work,and the local pub or club if the person was a regular.

she certainly is , and still is here . the old bugger:love:

In days gone by the hearse would be driven slowly, people it passed used to stand still with bowed heads & men would remove their caps.

Where I live, there is often quite a long procession of cars following the hearse to the cemetery, all of them with their lights on, and sometimes with a small flag in the front window. If the stoplight changes to red while the procession goes through, the other cars waiting to cross will wait till everyone is through.

In days gone by the hearse would be driven slowly, people it passed used to stand still with bowed heads & men would remove their caps.

Lots of us still do.

Didn't they also put a white sheet up to the windows?

Yes.

They used to call them blinds

Where I live, there is often quite a long procession of cars following the hearse to the cemetery, all of them with their lights on, and sometimes with a small flag in the front window. If the stoplight changes to red while the procession goes through, the other cars waiting to cross will wait till everyone is through.

At a funeral I went to on the East coast of England the cortege was allowed by other motorists to continue in it's entirity even though the lights were against us.

If we are at lights and a cortege goes through we wouldn't dream of carrying on, on our journey until the cortege had gone through

Just like lots of old traditions, its a dying custom!!!