Drawn curtains for bereveaments.

Where I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada, motorists in either direction pull over to the side of the road when a funeral procession goes by. It's a small place and many of the old customs have been retained.

think this was because the body was laid out in the front room often next to the window

This. ^^^^

And it also served to stop curious kids peeking through the window to see "the dead body".

Apologies for being a little flippant but.........:hihi:

Growing up n Sheffield in the 50s and early 60s I remember this very well.

It happened in our neighborhood when Churchill died in '65. A lot of drawn curtains the day of his funeral.

....and my dear old Granddad, being ex military, always stood ramrod straight to attention if a funeral cortege passed by, with a very firm hand on my young shoulder, to make sure I also paid the correct respect

On the day of the funeral of my mum, we left her curtains closed and as we got into the car her neighbours were out on the front, showing respect. They too are old school and nice to know that respect is not forgotten, the post above about the young lads is so refreshing in this day and age.

Didn't they also put a white sheet up to the windows?

I remember white sheets being put up to the windows back in the '50's.

I remember white sheets being put up to the windows back in the '50's.

i remember the white sheets been up always told it was a mark of respect for deceased and rest of the street closed there curtains on the day of the funeral it not done any more how times change j

My condolences to 'Bypassblade' . I think that if the deceased is very old ( what's very old ?!) it's more a time for celebrating a long life than having too much mourning. A friend died recently in his early 70's and having been a very heavy 'Woodbine' smoker all his life it was odd that his lungs had been pronounced clear during his last month in hospital and that his death was not attributed to smoking. This same friend was a great wit and once said " Life after death? I'm still trying to find if there's one before it !" The family buried a pack of 200 cigs and a lighter with his ashes ! Burngreave cemetery has a volunteer maintenance group if anyone would like to join.

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 20:49 ----------

'Friends of Burngreave Cemetery' can be contacted at......dave-yates@live.co.uk

Not just Sheffield, only 3 years ago in our village in Surrey our neighbours daughter died and we were a bit embarrassed to find that everyone had their curtains drawn but us.

I remember the house where the deceased lived drawing the curtains but I don't remember any neighbours doing it. I also remember men removing their hats and people bowing their heads when a funeral passed. I was very small when I pulled off my little woolly hat as a funeral went past and my Dad had great difficulty in trying not to laugh......

Do Sheffield folk still observe the old custom of drawing the curtains when someone dies; usually the bereaved household plus the neighbours ?

It's a sign of respect for close family members

I don't ever remember seeing curtains closed as a consequence of a death and I think the custom may well have passed but I do remember vividly trying to be a big tough 17 year old and trying very hard not cry at my mum's funeral. When the cortège passed some roadworks at the end of Abbey Lane on the way to the crematorium a group of road workers removed their hard hats and bowed their heads. This set me off and I cried like a baby. Complete strangers were showing my mum respect and it really brought the moment home and snapped me out of my enforced reverie.

This made a lasting impression on me and I always bow my head at the passing of a funeral procession and give a little thank you to those fellas for teaching me a lesson in how to show reverence.

I remember that very well in sheffield. I've also just read a book about the jews in east european countries closing their curtains, also covering the mirrors.