Forummers beware - ATM Card scamming at a high

First and foremost I haven't stated in the title that ATM card fraud is at a high in Sheffield because quite honestly I'm not sure on the figures locally however I have just been reading in the press on route to work this morning and it apparently the amount of people hit by ATM crime has trebled in the last three months as opposed to the same time last year.

A work colleague had this happen to him a couple of years back and it understandably seriously upset him, for a long while it did seem like he wouldn't get his money back as the bank stated his pin was used and only he should know his pin however upon appeal they backed down and in the end they coughed up rightfully.

It seems distraction theft is massively on the up where one person "shoulder surfs" to get sight of your pin number and then you are distracted whilst another person steals your card.

Like I said I don't know whether this is a problem as such in Sheffield as it seems to be everywhere else but I don't feel it would be of any harm to be extra vigilant and cautious when using local ATM's and should you notice anything suspicious then get on to the boys in blue and report it that way we can nip it in the bud before it does become a local problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22783910

Surely this is just general news as it can happen anywhere?

I like the Yorkshire bank machines as they've now got a bit that sticks out around the card opening making it difficult for a false panel to be fitted with a skimmer. I don't write my number down, I also shield the keypad when typing my number in and I'm not afraid to ask people to stand back if I think they're hovering too close.

I don't like the sound of the new contactless card and if that service is ever offered to me I'm going to rrefuse it point blank

My card was cloned in Sheffield last week. The bank couldn't tell me the exact location though.

We've had a warning about this at work today:

"Unfortunately, I've been made aware of an attempted theft from one of our colleagues yesterday afternoon at the Coventry Building Society cash point (opposite Mama’s and Leonie’s) around 4pm.

The member of staff in question was withdrawing cash when a man approached them at the machine and tried to distract them by waving a newspaper whilst pressing the button to dispense the maximum cash withdrawal.

The police have been informed and said it is not the first incident of its kind in this area; the suspect has managed to obtain the cash from other victims and get away."

A work colleague had this happen to him a couple of years back and it understandably seriously upset him, for a long while it did seem like he wouldn't get his money back as the bank stated his pin was used and only he should know his pin however upon appeal they backed down and in the end they coughed up rightfully.

It seems distraction theft is massively on the up where one person "shoulder surfs" to get sight of your pin number and then you are distracted whilst another person steals your card.

Could you email me about this please re press coverage?

The thing with statements like such and such has "trebled" is that it doesn't really take account of how likely an event is. So say 3 people experience ATM fraud last year and 9 did this year 3 and 9 are both very small compared to the 60million or so residents of this country. If however it was 30000 to 90000 that would be something to consider.

Basically its a meaningless statement and could well just be some journalist needing to create some column inches...

But yes we should all be vigilant but lets not get too worried about it. Your bank will quite possibly refund everything if you are subject to fraud anyway.

The above goes for all stats in papers. They are always manipulated to bolster the point that the journalist is trying to make and are therefore meaningless.

Edited by TimmyR

It starts off being a few then a hundred then thousends beware its easy to scan your number if you dont cover the numbers you type in

One of my work colleagues card was cloned a fortnight ago, they'd put a pressure pad under the keypad which logged the pin number and some gadget cloned her details on the card.

They managed in 4 days to empty her accounts and do online purchases and take put credit to the tune of 75k - good news is they traced the purchases to address in Sheffield and Rotherham and arrests have been made. She's had a nightmare trying to get it all sorted.

What I cannot understand is that whilst getting our cash from an ATM, we are warned to keep our PINs secret and to be aware of people standing nearby. This is all sensible advice.

So why do manufacturers of these machines ensure that every time you press a number it bleeps at a million decibels, in effect SHOUTING TO ANYONE WITHIN HALF A MILE THAT YOU'RE WITHDRAWING CASH, RIGHT NOW?!

One of my work colleagues card was cloned a fortnight ago, they'd put a pressure pad under the keypad which logged the pin number and some gadget cloned her details on the card.

They managed in 4 days to empty her accounts and do online purchases and take put credit to the tune of 75k - good news is they traced the purchases to address in Sheffield and Rotherham and arrests have been made. She's had a nightmare trying to get it all sorted.

That's really scary. I always cover the PIN pad with my purse and hunch over the machine to make sure no one is behind me looking, but what could you do if they do that? Nothing!

Could you email me about this please re press coverage?

Here is a link quicker than an email. It appears to be an increase of ATM thefts

are on the increase nation wide not just Sheffield

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22783910