Beulah Kop - Clarkson Street

Does anyone have any information on this old house on Clarkson Street just off Glossop Road? I go past every day on my way to work at the Hallamshire Hospital, and often wonder if there's any fascinating story behind it at all...

A Google search doesn't reveal much. It was built in 1845, and has been grade II listed since 1995. It also looks to be owned by the University of Sheffield - or at least that's what I assume based on the parking permit sign outside which seems to carry the crest.

From what I can see from the outside, other than the interesting name, which is inscribed on the front of the building, it really doesn't look anything special.

Somebody must know something.

Used to be a spiritualist centre.

Granma.

I believe it was either in that house or the one next to it that John Gunson, the engineer of the Dale Dyke dam which burst in 1864, lived when he retired after the disaster. At the public enquiry about the flood and its fatalities, he was exonerated from any blame for its collapse, but it affected him greatly and he became depressed. He died in 1886 at the age of 77 and is buried in the General Cemetery, close to the cemetery company's former offices facing Cemetery Road. His address was 7 Clarkson St.

Beulah Kop is number 3 Clarkson St, which is currently a student house. It was number 1 that used to be the spiritualist centre, but that is also now a student house.

The university car park opposite used to be a magnificent 3 storey corner terrace.

Edited by levisage

Shame that its nothing more than student accommodation if it truly is something special, but like I said I really don't see anything particularly significant about it from the outside.

I really want to know the origins of its name. It doesn't even sound English.

I really want to know the origins of its name. It doesn't even sound English.

Kop is a hill in Afrikaans. 'Spion Kop' was a battle in the Boer war, so perhaps Beulah was the site of some forgotten skirmish in the early 20th Century?

Kop is a hill in Afrikaans. 'Spion Kop' was a battle in the Boer war, so perhaps Beulah was the site of some forgotten skirmish in the early 20th Century?

Thanks, interesting theory there too. I never thought of splitting up the two words.

I Googled 'Beulah' and Wikipedia offers a fair few meanings to add to your idea. The word is a Hebrew female name, and there are loads of places called it, including in Australia, America and even Wales. I think the one result Wikipedia throws up we can definitely ignore is the 1940s radio series... I very much doubt its named for that.

According to English Heritage:

(http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1270954):

"This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest."

"House. c1845, with late C20 alterations. Brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. Plinth, first floor band, gutter on wooden brackets. 2 storeys; 3 window range. Windows are 12 pane sashes with brick flat arches. Central stone doorcase with panelled pilasters and flat hood, with C20 panelled door and overlight. INTERIOR not inspected. Included for group value. "

"Group value" is defined as "where buildings are part of an important architectural or historic group or are a fine example of planning (such as squares, terraces and model villages)" (http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/caring/listing/listed-buildings/how-do-buildings-become-listed/)

I have vague memories of being inside the building when I was at Sheffield Poly in the early 80's. I think some friends were resident there.

I too go past it almost daily and wonder about it, but I wonder what the hell I was doing in there.

:huh:

Here's a picture of the house produced by a quick Google search. Sadly you can't see the distinct name plaque/painting.

Beulah Kop

There's the name plate. Some suggestions as to its origin as well. There was a Sheffield band called Beulah Kop in the 1990s apparently.