Lotto Windfall, What Would You Do?

Yes, no mortgage, no bills, a regular good income, a nice car. I think people would feel good with that.

For me I would be really sensible, if I won something as low as 1 million (Yea I know that ain't low but lowish on some lottery win scales!), I would buy say a 20 thousand pound car (second hand, I still wouldn't waste money on a brand new car!) and buy a nice little country home for say 200 - 300K, help out friends and family and pay off their immediate debts, let's say that left me with £600.000 in UK protected banks I would get around 2% interest which would be (I think) £9600 a year, I'd still work but take sometime to train in other jobs which really interest me and still have a nice little pot of money for a rainy day.

I would pay off the mortgages of my son and my daughter. I would probably leave work, and give some away to friends and family. Also give some to charity. We don't have a mortgage ourself, and have no real desire for a better/bigger house or car, so if there was any left, it would just go in the bank for a rainy day!

As others have said, it would depend on the amount. If it was around 5 million, our children would be able to upgrade their homes/be mortgage free as well as having a nice nest egg in the bank. We'd put some away for the grandchildren's future; send some to my OH's siblings, and I have a couple of good friends who'd also benefit, as would selected charities.

For ourselves, we'd buy a detached bungalow, with room for a proper music studio for my OH, and a conservatory for me. And we'd be able to travel first class whenever we wanted!

Why are you all so desperate for the approval of friends and family? What have they ever done for you to deserve such a big payout. Oh, do they love you. Love's got nothing to do with it. Have you never heard the saying, no good deed goes unpunished? Well you start handing out more than £100 for free and you'll soon learn all about it. They will just resent you in the end until they get what they consider to be a fair and EQUAL share of your loot. Try getting them to help you out in the future and you'll not see them for dust. Give them nothing or at best a little ride in the passenger seat of your Ferrari if they've got clean shoes on.

You're going to be awfully alone with your money Ebenezer, or have a strange family because I can't think of anybody in my or OHs family who behaves like you say and believe me its quite a large family nor would my friends actually

If I won say, 1 million I would:

- pay off my current mortgage

- buy myself a nice 'forever' house or maybe build/renovate one

- fit out said house so it was all lovely and just how I wanted it

- move in to the house

- do up my current house to make it ready and let it out

- do up both our (old!) cars

- have awesome holidays

- whatever was left over I'd buy more houses to let out

Not that I've thought about it much :hihi: I wouldn't give up work unless I won LOADS as otherwise I'd get bored.

If I won loads I'd give away a lot to various charities and family, then I'd just spend every day travelling or doing lots of fun things :D

Don't get your knickers in a bunch, she's let herself go and isn't the oil painting I married anymore. I've told her many times she's gone if I win the jackpot and she's totally cool with it. Granted she thinks I'm joking but if the time comes I'll try to break it gently by text or something.

Who said romance was dead, you're just a softie at heart that's what you mean isn't it.

---------- Post added 03-06-2013 at 11:43 ----------

---------- Post added 02-06-2013 at 23:27 ----------

[/color]

I know exactly what you mean about the extra insurance I have similar issues myself, the last time we got a quote the holiday was around £1,000 and the insurance for me was £640 for 2 weeks! All thanks to a drunk driver when I was 11 years old, he's dead now but I'm still living with what he did...nice

My son in law has just had his stag weekend in Barcelona I can't go due to health but out of curiosity I went online, for a quote. They want £400 quid for 3 days, I looked at Turkey for 2 weeks and the cheapest I could get was 2k for insurance, it's ridiculous.

My brother is considering going to America in near future and again I looked for 4 days for me in New York (curiosity), £1,500 quid. Like yourself it puts it well beyond us, that's why if I won the lottery it would not sting so much, I don't mind they have to protect themselves but they should say, if you don;t claim we'll give you say 75% back.

(i) noone (but me) would know about it.

(ii) the money would be moved overseas faster than it takes me to type this. I have a couple of vehicles ready-setup for just such an occasion.

(iii) subsequently/eventually, family (the immediate one only) and some very close friends (2-3) would find a lot of things in their life 'facilitated', anonymously.

e.g. mortgages paid up, o/standing finance cleared, maybe an honorary non-exec directorship of an overseas company they've never heard of and which pays them £15k a year, and such other initiatives... No big money/amounts handed out anywhere (or e.g. where mortgages are concerned, then paid by trusts or holdings, not persons), and certainly no publicity or even confessions what-so-ever. If you're wealthy, then to live happy, you want to stay hidden.

As for me, there would be no outward change whatsoever. Maybe take it a bit easier at work, and retire earlier (stick it another 10 years, for the craic) and maybe upgrade the 15 year-old convert for a 5 year-old convert (under pretence of a small scratchcard or such-like win).

Edited by L00b

What would I do?

well, the ability to do so, would depend entirely on how much I won, but....

Pay off my debts...

pay off mums debts...

work out how much I need to comfortably live for a year, and put that in a separate account....

Put the same amount in savings or ISA or something...

I'd splurge on new everything, everything for the house, new clothes, a holiday etc...

then whatever was left would go into the savings acc't also...

You're going to be awfully alone with your money Ebenezer, or have a strange family because I can't think of anybody in my or OHs family who behaves like you say and believe me its quite a large family nor would my friends actually

oh here we go, the emo police have arrived.

You're going to be awfully alone with your money Ebenezer, or have a strange family

Don't worry Denlin he's not for real. He's quite funny, and he's having a good time on the Forum, but he's not for real.

Ita amazing to see how many self centred people exist on this forum hardly anyone has thought of anything but themselves and their dreams,what about the dreams of terminally ill kids who are never going to realise theirs,what you never had you never miss so I would set up a trust to pay for these unfortunate kids to see their once in a life time dream come true.

The saying that money is the root of all evil springs to mind and how it changes a persons life and not necessarily for the better,the only couple who I know who have enriched peoples lives with winning the lottery are the Wraggs and they have help so many kids.