Roberts Brothers

Anybody on here who used to work in the office at Roberts Brothers around 1964 - 1968 ?

Oh id love to say yes, just cos nobody has replied ! Where was it and i'll try to think if i know of anybody who worked there at all ? Oh , you dont mean the big shop do you ?

Over 50 years ago I worked as a Saturday girl, it was just like 'Grace Bothers' in those days!!!!

Oh id love to say yes, just cos nobody has replied ! Where was it and i'll try to think if i know of anybody who worked there at all ? Oh , you dont mean the big shop do you ?

The store was on The Moor just down from from Debenhams. It was a big department store.

The store was on The Moor just down from from Debenhams. It was a big department store.

I might be wrong but think it was in the building that is now Sainsburys on the Moor.

My Mum worked on the switchboard there 1954 - 1957.

Sainsburys is where Marks and Spencers used to be. Robert brothers was the block where Argos and the other boarded up shops are.

Sainsburys is where Marks and Spencers used to be. Robert brothers was the block where Argos and the other boarded up shops are.

I stand corrected -too young to remember the shop you see !

My mum and dad both worked and met at Robert brothers, my dad started there in 1959, he was a French polisher there, Ernest cocker, and my mum worked in the offices from 1966 to 1969 my mums name before she was married was Susan Barton,

.French polisher there, Ernest cocker I worked as electrician at same time but left just before it closed down last time I met Ernest he was self employed

It was a very good time

I worked in the accounts office at Robert Bros. around 1955

On 04/06/2013 at 11:46, Mandem said:

Marks and Sparks was on the other side - Sainsburys was in the back of Atkinsons.

Back in those days Debenhams was Pauldens.

3 department stores on the Moor - plus Coles, Walshes and Cockaynes in the city centre.

I think it might have been Robert Brothers that ran the "Dolphin Club" for children and linked them to pen pals around the country.  I was a member and received a certificate when I was that sort of age.